Tell me about the Alfa Romeos Spider Veloces | FerrariChat

Tell me about the Alfa Romeos Spider Veloces

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Chevarri, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Hello,

The "tell me about" threads are always popular here on Fchat, so I'd figure I'd ask here. Now that my Supras "done" I'll have time to investigate the Alfa Veloces I've always keenly admired. My freind has a Spider Veloce FS at his Grandmothers house that needs some work. He said it had ran a cpl of years ago, but had parked at grandmamas house. Mechanically he believes all it will need is a tune-up after sitting, but he also mention the interior is a little torn, and the paint is a little faded. I'm more concerned about the mechanical apsects than anything, and I would like to know as much as you guys could tell me. Any problems I should be concerned about, how much I should pay for it since it doesn't "run" and needs some work. He said make him an offer, but I'm concerned I might offer to much, or to little. I did think that buying one that needs another owner might be better option, but I like the idea of "restoring" a car more than straight out buying. Not only is it cheaper, but it's also a lot more fun, and self fullfiling.

2. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Any Italian car is going to be questionable after sitting. It is rather likely you will need to change seals, it is also likely that you will have issues with the brakes. Part for ALFA are easily available but not cheap.

3. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    if its been sitting a while, for sure ull need new seals, brakes, brake line and complete tune up, a good 1000 just in engine work with other details it mit need, add body work, interior trim and hopefully no rust

4. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    If you can do all the mechanicals yourself so it's just a matter of parts, then it's probably worth a shot. If you need to "have the work done" then I would pass.

5. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Never listen to previous owners when they say "it should just need..." :)

I bought a 78 Spider Veloce last July. Alfa Spiders (especially the 60s/70s models) are one of my all time favorite cars. I saw one for sale that had apparently been sitting for a while. I got it for $300 after trading in an old motor scooter that I had lying around that didn't run anymore. The guy told me, "mechanically, it just needs a fuel pump." For the price I was getting it, I didn't care. I knew it needed cosmetic work, but for $300 it was a steal. I had it towed to an Alfa mechanic quasi-near me, who came very highly recommended from this board. While the guy REALLY knows his stuff, he's working on my car on the side, so it's STILL not done. It's running, though. So far, it's needed all the usuals for a car that's been sitting around, a thermostatic actuator, some fuel system parts, tires, and there are still some other kinks that need to be worked out. I'm looking at a total bill of about $2000, to get it in drivable mechanical and cosmetic shape. After that, it will need a paint job (not much rust, thank God) and new carpets, etc.

I'm probably going to take an auto repair class at a local college to learn how to do some of this work myself.

6. autobob

autobob Rookie

Jan 7, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bob Harris
    If the body is decent and you can buy it for under $500 you wont get hurt as it could always be parted out for more money but you would have dissasembly time involved. On any Italian car it is best to have it inspected prior to purchase even if they are inexpensive. If you have to pay to have the restoration done it is usually cheaper to buy a car that has already been restored. Even a restoration should be inspected before purchase if possible as there are a variety of views on restorations. Here is an older roundtail that I used to own, they are very fun cars and quite reliable when in proper shape.
    http://www.autobahnpower.com/products.asp?recnumber=113

7. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    nice to look at but not nice to drive, especially the later year ones, feels like a little boat that waddles down the road, slow, weak air con...etc....but darn nice to look at

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Like many cars, the earlier cars, especially the 1750, are lighter and a bit more edgy, tossable and quick, but don't have all the niceties (nor complexities) of the later models. As said before, older Alfas are quite reliable once they are set up right - very simple and elegant.
    The memories I have of travelling back country roads long distance with the top down and the engine singing near 4000 rpm still define what Italian driving is all about.

9. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    Alfa's handling has been described many ways but "a little boat that waddles down the road" is a new one. When the 105's came out in the 60's, they were universally praised as some of the best handling cars available at the time.

Chevarri should check out www.alfabb.com. Some Spiders are worth sinking money into, others aren't.

10. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Nice sum up, 100% agreement :)

11. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    About 30 years ago I had a 1966 Duetto, one of the very first ones built. It had the Dunlop brake system for which then, as today, the discs were impossible to find. Alfa switched to ATE brakes after only a few months of production.

After driving Brit cars for years the Alfa was a giant leap forward, excellant handling, a 5 speed, a weather-proof top that could be raised/lowered with one hand and real glass windows that rolled up right out of the door!!

IMHO the Duetto was one of the best looking sports cars of it's day, great fun to drive and simple to maintain. I have often wished to get another but the round tails are getting very expensive and most have, like all old Alfas, rusted away to nothing.

Chevarri, there are alots of websites with good info for the Alfa owner, here are a few.
    http://www.alfacentro.com/index.html
    http://spiderfaq.home.att.net/index.htm
    http://j.webring.com/hub?ring=alfaromeos
    and the alfa bb mentioned above

12. rloewy

rloewy Karting

Aug 4, 2004
    I had an '88 European one in the past (double Webers, not the FI ones) and have a lot of good memories of it. It was beautiful, made lovely sounds and was fun to drive.

But, the driving dynamics are defintely 60s. If you do not mind that - they are a nice car to have - and as everyone said - the early ones are the most desirable. However, if you are looking at a sport car/convertible for more fun driving - I honestly think that you should test drive an early Miata. Not as pretty or as spacious - but a much better chassis for handling that some (myself included) find more entertaining to drive.

Ron