WARNING... bad areas for bottoming out in Toronto. | FerrariChat

WARNING... bad areas for bottoming out in Toronto.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by goldyF355, Aug 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Just wanted to give a heads up to any F-car, or other exotic car owners who have very little ground clearance.

I was out for a ride the other day, heading west on finch ave, and about to make a right turn onto Bathurst st to head north when I heard the most PAINFUL noise from underneath my car. you know, SCRAPE!!!!! argghhh!

Turns out the right turn lane had a section of road paving which had folded in on itself..creating a very pronounced "hump" in the middle of the lane...even if you saw it first, too late, your already commited if someone is beside you on your left.

To make matters worse, today the same thing happened again, but the sound and feel was even worse, this hump was huge...and i didnt even see it until after I had scraped. SAME INTERSECTION!! only, this time, I was heading north on Bathurst and made a right turn onto finch heading east.

Needless to say, I have started to "scan" right turn lanes for this problem in advance, and low and behold, found an almost identical problem in the right turn lane as you head south on bathurst and turn west onto Sheppard ave.

Ive owned many a low riding car, but never remember having this many problem areas before.

Is this a recent problem?...or are there other trouble spots we should look out for?

Anyways, FWIW, be extra careful using the right turn lane at either of those intersections (Bathurst & Finch or Bathurst & sheppard) I hope this saves someone else...I never want to hear/feel that noise again!

Goldy

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Almost every 348/355/360 that I have ever seen has a scraped front lower valance due to the amount of overhang present in the design.

Porsche GT2/GT3 and Aerokit equipped cars also have this same problem.

Frustrating....isn't it.....

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Goldy,
    Call the local municipal "street repairs" division, you would be surprised, but most cities will fix stuff like that quite promptly when reported...no call, and they sit on their lazy buts and drink coffee... ;)

Here in Seattle, they will fix pot holes and the like within two to three days of the report...quite amazing.

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    My driveway! :)

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Queensway just past Parklawn after going over the bridge..just terriable for any car let alone a Ferrari.

6. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Seems Bathurst has a few issues. Same problem with major ripple at Bathurst, south bound to West bound Sheppard. My GT4 hasn't bottomed out but then it has a bit more clearance than the GTS and GTB's. I usually take it a bit wide to be sure I miss the lump, esp. now that I am double clutching smoothly after the track day at Mosport :)

Gerrit

7. MuJo

MuJo Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Joel R.
    Bathurst has had the distinct pleasure of being voted one of the worst streets in the T-dot. Ranks high up there. Was talked a lot today on some talk shows. Check this website:

worstroads.ca

Especially the area south of St. Clair to the lake. A lot of which is due to the streetcar tracks. They need to be replaced. Once that's done, they might just redo the whole road itself. But then again, maybe not. The city is always complaining that there's no money in the budget.

Best,

Joel

8. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    College is a nightmare right now. parts of it have been ripped up 2 or 3 times this summer.

Gerrard crossing Bay is particularily brutal. The crown on Bay is so pronounced, going across it feels like riding a mechanical bull. Its bad enough in a Honda.... I cant imagine it in something with less clearance.