FordGT vs. 430? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FordGT vs. 430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by zsnnf, Aug 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Lots of well made points here. I think it will come down to how the buyers view themselves. If you are an Anglophile you go for Ford, If you like Italian style you go Ferrari, flag waving, Bud drinking kind of guy, Viper, and if you're in a position to do so and a hard core car guy, you get them all. Modern design and manufacturing technology has done wonders in the car industry and there are many great cars to choose from. We live in a great time IMO.

2. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    The one area where every carmaker can compete with Ferrari, and to a degree Lambo and Porsche, is engine-size, displacement. That's always been the strategy and continues to be so.

Ford's GT is no different in this respect: big torque, big HP, big tires, and comparatively light weight. The only differences are that the Ford pushed the envelope a little further than the others, and it's a retro. A similar path was achieved by the Gallardo relative to the 360.

The areas where none of them have been able to compete are the driving sensation and the beauty of the line; a few Lambo's being the exception to this overall rule.

With the 430 and the 612, Ferrari is combining a host of excellences never before seen in an automobile: extreme performance and driveablitiy in almost every condition, from snow to track; distilled, tailored opulence inside and out; a build quality that is at least as solid as any German or Japanese, and the electricity of simply turning on the ignition.

If you consider the other marques, they may excel in this area or that, but the combination of superlatives is what they will find most difficult to match. Compared to this, 0-60 times are easy to match, and they make for much better headlines.

Forza,

Cavallini

3. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    If you go and talk to anyone down at the dragstrip you'll find that that motor (very similar to the s/charged F-150) does not hold together too well when you step up the pulleys for more horsepower. There is an aftermarket block out now that is considerably better that plenty are changing too.

4. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Are you serious? Wouldnt even make that judgement without seeeing the real thing. American cars have crap interiors. Take the "new" Viper interior, supposed to be improved but total crap in the end. Another example would be the Cadillac XLR. Meant to compete with the SL, what a joke. Hopeful, but always let down.

5. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    I agree, the interior of the GT is but ugly in my opinion, whats with the rubber boot on the shift column, RUBBER!
    ...or did the other metal thing make it to production, whenever that will be

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I personally am very that FORD built the GT. Would I take a 430 over it? Of course but at the same time I am happy the GT exists. It is great to see that America is making these cars, and they have done an excellent job on this one. A Ferrari will always be a Ferrari and desirable, but I think we should give the GT credit from coming out of a Manufacturer that normally would never build these types of cars.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I don't think its "either/or", I think it will be "both" for some people. Yes, some of us are such die hard tifosi that they won't look at anything without a prancing horse on the nose. But you're starting to get up into the levels of people that say, "ah, WTF, I'll get one of each".

There are alot of Americans that would never dream about buying one of "dem expensive eyetalian cars", but that's okay. Ferrari doesn't market to those people.

I once thought that I would get rid of my Carrera 4 and just replace it with a 308. Now I realize that I like both and will keep the 911 and buy a 308. Its possible to appreciate other cars and still be a Ferraristi.

8. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    No doubt I would love to get my hands on a GT(at msrp), I think Ford has done a great job, but the real world verdict is still out.

9. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I don't think Ferrari is building the F430 because of the Gallardo or GT40. In my opinion Ferrari is doing what they always do and that is improving the current model. Most of the true Ferrari buyers who are also fans of the brand will always choose to buy a Ferrari car over any other, the GT40 looks and it is very tempting but since I can only buy one of the two then it will be the F430 as I am on the list for one. Only if the GT40 really is a much better car by a long shot, but no I couldn't buy it after all is only a Ford, I rather buy a replica of a GT40 for track car and a 355 for the money.

10. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal

The Ford interior will hopefully not have a leather dash that self destructs from sun and rubber coating that melts on knobs. Ferrari interiors are not great. You want nice? Spend $40 and get a BMW 330 or $58k on an M3. All there, finished perfect, useful, and holds up.

Better than my $85K Porsche or my Ferrari 360.

The switches are not bad on the Ford GT. Billet aluminum. Seats are kinda whacky! As to the Viper...consider it's performance and cost. Interior will be like a Vette...basic but OK.

11. bobmarley

bobmarley Karting

Sep 1, 2004
    Fords make me sick to the stomach, no american could ever compete with ay european car.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I really like the GT but that interior is disgustingly cheap.

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    While the GT is a giant step forward for Ford, it is still a Ford that is powered by a F-150 engine and has to be serviced at crap Ford dealerships.

The styling was nice in the 60's but IMO doesn't cut it in 2005 fully. The F430 will match its performance and offer a far better driving experience.

14. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I agree, but I would like think that Ferrari improved apon the 360 CS with the F430 which would make it a very hard car to beat.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Does anybody remember when the Z8cam out, I heard of people paying 250k and they were worth just a little over a 100 just a year later. There is always someone willing to pay to be the first, and they usually pay big, loose big, and have enough money that they dont care.

16. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I bet if Lamborghini hadn't come out with the 500 hp Gallardo, we would never have seen a F430 with 490 hp. If there wasn't the Gallardo, the Modena replacement would only have around 450-460 horses. Just my 2c.

17. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Yes I see your point, but then why 490hp. and not anything over 500hp, I am sure Ferrari could of built it with 500+ horses if they wanted to.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yes, but they will save it for the end of the run model to get the last bit out of the F430. If you have multi year wait lists, does it really matter if there are "faster" cars out there?

If sales slump, you'll get your "better" car.

19. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I have to agree the interior is cold and ugly, especially the purple/blue dash lights. I haven’t had the chance to sit inside and check the ergos, I am sure it will be less desirable than any Modern Ferrari. The exterior looks good and racy but one that lives in the past. Like any American car I am sure when you get behind the wheel the only driving thrill would come from immense amount of torque. I saw a TV program where they showed the making of Ford GT. They kept bragging about the record time it took to develop but they failed to say they kluged the old one. It is a good looking car on the outside and has lots of power but not worth to me at $250k.

20. I think the Ford GT is in a different class then the 360 and 430 even though the price range is the same. I think the Enzo is more of a comparison people keep comparing entry level Ferrari's to other companys super car's an even comparison to the 360 and 430 would be Ford's Mustang I think. Ford GT will be a nice car for the money but it will never steal any serious Ferrari buyers.

21. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

There is NO compro between a GT and a Enzo........a Enzo was like 2.15 sec quicker around Silverstone then a GT, thats alot. Not to mention the overall performance differences.

22. bripab007

bripab007 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Is the 2.15 sec still "a lot" when you factor in price difference? I think it becomes a bit overshadowed at that point.

23. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

Let me re-phrase, 2.15 sec is HUGE on a road course...........

24. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    i would consider buying one and i have had three ferrari's (355 and 2 360's)

25. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I'm really impressed with the Ford GT. At first I objected to the rehash of the 60's styling, but the recent evo comparison gave me pause to think...

The shape is dead sexy, what more do you need in styling?

Those that doubt that this car more than competes with Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche in both power and dynamics are simply kidding themselves. Thanks to immense torque, the GT steps beyond the 400-500hp "entry level" exotics and actually bridges the gap to the 600hp ultra-exotic class. Here's where the benefits of forced induction come into effect... boosting the output from the supercharged v8 is easily accomplished, so I ask... how far ahead is the Enzo really? (Yes, it's a bit lighter, but not by much. It has better Aero, but the GT has it's share. Brakes are really the Enzo's only unique and fairly unmatchable advantage.)

None of this is suggest that there is only room for one car or the other, quite the opposite actually-- the more high-po options the better. The point is simply that producing a capable supercar is not the rabbit-from-a-hat magic trick that only the Italians and Germans understand. HOPEFULLY the GT spurs a new generation of supercars (we already know GM is working on a super-Vette to match it). Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.