Epoxy Coating a Garage Floor | FerrariChat

Epoxy Coating a Garage Floor

Discussion in 'Texas' started by future328driver, Sep 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Well, we just closed on our house and I am already getting ready to start the first project. The garage is a mess and I would like to put fresh paint on the walls and use DuPont's ExpoxyCoat product to clean and paint the floors. I was thinking that the upcoming 3-day weekend would be a good time to do this.

Has anybody used this product? Got any recommendations?

Thanks.

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Odd that you ask.

I am doing my garage this weekend (doing the Black Epoxy). I went a little different route - I bought the industrial Epoxy that they use in factories and such - cost me about $700 for the enough epoxy to do the 3.5 car garage. I still have to go out and get the Muratic Acid to do the etching, etc. (but that is pretty standard and not much dollars...)

I can't specifically remember which company I bought my product from - but did a ton of reviews on the different makers and types out there... The standard stuff from your Home Depot, etc. is a much thinner type of epoxy - made for normal type traffic, etc. (which will probably be fine for most applications). However I did a previous house about 5 years ago with this type epoxy - and had to continually touch up areas that would come up from tire wear, heat, etc. (the products may have improved since then - but I did not want to risk it).

So I reviewed about 20 different types/makers - there are many (believe it or not) sites that talk about many different brands and issues etc. I even ran across a discussion board on Epoxy coating... I ended up buying the Scott Industrial Epoxy - and found a reseller who would sell me it in gallons. (most would only sell minimum 10,000 Sqf or something huge like that) - most of the industrial sellers - resell to wearhouse, factories, in large quantity...

I think that most epoxy's would be fine - however I am always doing big projects in my garage - and I wanted to have the best stuff - to last - and my last experience with epoxy was not so good - I went to the next step.

I will post pictures when completed as well....)

Rich

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I've never done it, but everything I've read and seen says that the prep work is the MOST important. Do the acid etch correctly and you shouldn't have any problems.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Please be very careful. Remember that acid is very, very toxic. I have done this once, but never again. I'd hire out the acid washing part.

Dale

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Ken,

Have you considered those tiles you can buy at car item catalogs?

Garage can be like Ferrari. It's easier to sell as original, and you can't recover update cost like you can for kitchen & bathrooms. Once you paint your garage, some buyer will take that as minus (obviously not car people...)

I know this is not what you asked for. Sorry to budge in.

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    be careful with that stuff - make sure you've got good ventilation during and for days after to make sure it's cleared out. very very nasty and reactive stuff.

i went the kiwi tile route myself. you can set up any design you like, and there's no chance of resale-liability 'cuz it's trivial to remove.

doody.

7. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/articles/articleindex/index_e.htm#order

Family Handyman had an excellent article about epoxy floors in the Sept '03 issue. I'd gladly scan and send it but it's boxed away somewhere after the recent move. I highly suggest seeing if you can get a reprint of the article faxed to you and read it. They comprehensively cover the prep. work. From memory, it will take you more than 3-days to get this done b/c of the time you have to wait between doing stuff.

Good luck, and be very careful with the acid stuff. Get a pro to do it if you can.

8. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    I had my house built last year (Oct '03) and asked the builder to epoxy coat the garage floor. Or should I say "had" since I am having it sanded off on Sept 15. I have had problems with epoxy lifting in the various areas...mostly due to the hot tires. It is also slippery.

I am having another floor finish put on by Granite Garage Coatings. It is guaranteed to be peel, stain and slip resistant for up to 5 years. I have a small garage...only about 500 sq feet and it's going to cost approx $1500, My neighbor has it on his floor and has had no problems. It will be finished by the weekend of Sept 19 so let me know if you want to check it out.

9. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking a little more about it today and I think that I may just paint the walls so it does not look so dingy and do a very thorough cleaning of the floor to remove the oil stains and such. I think I will forgoe actually painting the floor.

10. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How much per sqft are those tiles you guys above are talking about? I saw some at a guy's garage here in Houston (Jeremey L). I have been thinking about putting something like what he had down in my garage.

Where can they be purchased?

11. maseraticoupe

maseraticoupe Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    Texarkana
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Crisp
    I am thinking about the flooring from Gladiator, it is a plastic rollout flooring with a diamond tread design. Looks easy to clean and can be removed if needed.

12. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    We just moved into a new home (new for us) and want to paint the garage floor as well. Does anybody have any recommendations for a good metroplex company/person who will do the entire process... including the acid prep? I don't feel like tackling this project on my own.

I cannot imagine a painted garage floor will turn off potential buyers when you go to sell. Most of the new houses being built around here include a painted floor.

The only bad rap I've heard about the nice floor tiles (like KIWI) is that dirt and leaves get in the grids and it's almost impossible to get it out short of removing the tile first.

I had cheap peel & stick tile in my last garage and it was terrible! It looked cool but if you turned your tires going in or out it would move the tile. So don't skimp on the tile if you choose to go this route.

But before I paint the garage floor, I've got to get rid of a lot of junk (already)!

13. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Granite Garage Coatings - Epoxy/Poly Garage Coatings & custom cabinetry in Arlington.

Ed Miller 866.453.0490/817.781.9909

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I may have a resource, I'll see what I can dig up.

15. pexogoce

pexogoce Karting
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    pexogoce
    Congratulations on your new home! Painting the garage walls and coating the floor with DuPont's EpoxyCoat product is a great way to freshen up your space. Here are some things to consider:

• Make sure to properly clean and prep the floors before applying the epoxy coating. Any dirt, grease, or other contaminants can affect the adhesion and durability of the coating.
    • Follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully when applying the product, including any recommended temperature and humidity ranges. Applying the coating in unfavorable conditions can result in a subpar finish and decreased longevity.
    • Consider wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator mask when using the product, especially if you or anyone in your household has sensitivities to chemicals.
    • Allow for adequate drying time before driving or walking on the newly coated floor. This can range from 24 to 72 hours depending on the product and environmental conditions.
    • Finally, read reviews from other users and consider their experiences before making a final decision on whether to use this product or another.