The Single Greatest Vintage Ferrari...? | FerrariChat

The Single Greatest Vintage Ferrari...?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 365boy, Sep 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Wayne and others....

having read so many threads about the merits of this and that individual vintage Ferrari over the last year, I would be interested in your own view of THE SINGLE best vintage (shall we say pre 1970) Ferrari of the lot.

Not just in terms of value - but a combination of provenance, historical significance, originality, plus the mechanical and design-related merits of the car itself.

I know it's impossible to single just one car out - but give it a shot anyway.

(Perhaps one racer and road car).

I'd be interested... Thanks, John

PS I think my own personal choice would be (of the racers) the last of the three (?) original 64 bodied GTOs, and (among the road cars) the first of the two (?) alloy-bodied 275 GTS/4s, as seen on The Thomas Crown affair. Any offers....?

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Obviously picking among them is difficult, if not a bit silly. As time progresses, technology will improve. So, a 212 will have more modern technology and probably drive better than a 166. Does that make it greater? With vintage cars, performance plays a smaller role, unless you are deciding within a model line: say, between a 250 SWB "hot rod" and a regular steel-bodied SWB. But, pre-1970 includes such a huge mass of cars, to say it's comparing apples to oranges might be an understatement.

With that disclaimer out of the way: You're asking what's the best combination of history/specialness + performance?

For me, the 275 GTB/C is the real contender. It's rare; it's produced later so it's got the mechanical modernity you are talking about; it's beautiful; it's got the racing history; each car is somewhat different and special in its own way; and it's got the performance.

3. mccprivate

mccprivate Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    I would have to say #2015, the 250 GT California Spyder SWB "Competizione". It is the best SWB California Spyder, one of three alloy cars, supposedly the only SWB California with a Testa Rossa-type engine, and placed in some of the major races. There are plenty of other cars with better race victories, but the fact that it was a California Spyder in competition makes it higher on my list.

The first of the 275 GTS/4 NART Spyders built is the best of the ten, is one of two alloy bodied cars, Thomas Crown Affair history and also has race history. I've seen the car in person and can say it is absolutely gorgeous! And, to think it is in its original yellow (in the movie it was maroon). Both the 250 California and the 275 NART Spyder are absolutely beautiful and demand quite a premium. The GTOs and the pontoon Testa Rossas always make it to the top of the list. My preference are these competition convertibles.

My vote is for #2015. I think the California Spyder is the "perfect car" because it was designed for year-round driving with the top down, but also able to compete at the race track.

Brett

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Although i'm inclined to sit here and say it could be the GTO or the LM, since you can race them, then drive them home, but i'm gonna step out on a limb here and go with...

...2819. La Camionette; The Breadvan... Born as a SWB, 2819 was converted to look how it does today. It's been in many races, raced by many people and has had some wild times here in the states. It's been all over the world. It's truly an awesome car. That's where my nomination goes. :)

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Although an entirely un-original position, even now as I adore so many (all?) of the Ferraris, I always gravitate back to the original 250 GTO as the one pinnacle of the Ferrari legend that best represents what is the passionate essence about all Ferraris of any year....
    I do so love them all, though...

very best to all,
    rt
    celebrating my last day of avatar and profile photo! :)

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  7. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    How can one decide? Personally, I love big old monsters, so probibly a 375 MM or 375 Plus...

8. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    For me, it would be the car that started my passion for Ferrari, a 250 SWB. Alloy body competition model would do me just fine.

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    the single greatest vintage Ferrari?

would have to be the 156 F1 shark nose

significant?
    - Ferrari's first rear-engined formula car came in and destroyed the rest of the field
    - the only Ferrari to have an american world champion

beautiful?
    - absolutely

rare?
    -all the originals destroyed/cannabilized

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I love those too ... so scary looking, but as you all know I go weak at the knees just thinking about a 250LM.

A 250LM, a 375 MM Berlineta, my Alfa Romeo 1750GTV and a 8c2900B ... and I would not be able to leave the garage (except in the car I managed to choose for a drive ...)! Honestly!

Pete

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The GTO. I love this car so much my wife commissioned a painting of one by Burton Morris (the new Andy Warhol) a pop artist.

12. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Favorites are allmost impossible to choose. Mine:

250 GT SWB 2417GT
    250 GTO/64 5571GT

Both were very succesfull, were raced by the factory, could be driven home after the race. They have all the things a classic Ferrari is all about.

13. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    I'm retarded.

'62 250GTO - any one of 'em. Matsuda's? Preferably red with a normal back.

'69 365GTB/4 - coupe, early one, plexi front, perhaps not red. Maybe Paul Newman's?

T.

14. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Only one, Race and One Road Car....that's really unfair......

But if I had to .......????

250 SWB Comp
    02735GT One of the very few original RHD Car's and with an impeccable Race History, 1961 Silverstone British Empire & Peco Trophies, Goodwood TT & Nassau TT Winning Car.

250 California Spyder
    01487GT another RHD Car, in Nero and has the luxurioous Bordeaux Leather Interior, (An ex-Pedro Rodriguez Race Car), but a Great GT Road Car at heart.

Only a lottery win will fulfil such a dream.....

Seb
    )sigh(

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The Single Greatest Vintage Ferrari?

s/n 9453!

;)

16. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sefac Hot Rods

17. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    275 GTB/C special 6885GT and 2973GT (SWB sefac hotrod)

18. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    2845GT to be exact, the first 250 SWB i saw. Truly stunning and incredible at the same time.

19. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I visited a fellow (Paul) in Greenwich, Ct quite a few years ago. He had an alloy bodied California SWB with three of the biggest twin-throat Webbers I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure it was one of the few competition models - maybe some of you know the car.
    Anyhow, I was adimiring the engine when he walked over, connected the battery, closed the hood and said "the keys are in it, take it out for a ride". I said "by myself?" - he replied "sure - I already know how it drives!"
    That once-in-a-lifetime opportunity was as good as one could ever ask for. I drove it conservatively for around 45 minutes and I have never to this day had such a rewarding automotive experience. That car did NOTHING wrong. Slow, fast, didn't matter. IT WAS PERFECT!
    The ride was truly a gift and I've never forgotten Paul for allowing me to spend time with such a magnificent automobile.
    Bob Z

20. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree that the 250LM (is that the official designation, or is it 250P LM for the coupe?) is a beautiful car. In reality, I don't think that true race cars or f1 cars can be considered. With that as a consideration, I would probibly have to choose a 275 NART spider. As to pre-war, I also would choose an Alfa 8c2900. I have been lucky enough to have driven 3 of them. My uncle actually owned the LeMans coupe...

21. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  22. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    #22 Bob Zambelli, Sep 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    And a gorgeous engine, with the finned manifold...