FOC Website Members Only - Banned | FerrariChat

FOC Website Members Only - Banned

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kenyon, Sep 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Guys,
    I THINK......
    Since my farther (disabled) used my password on the FOC for the members only section on the FOC website. I HAVE BEEN BANNED AGAIN.

My dad is American is said he would like to sue !!!! Thats a american for you....... Calm down dad....

I have sent an e-mail to FOC to explain and I have no reply. Not very helpful.... at the moment.

My father has actually written to Ferrari Italy, since he speaks Italian and has complained to Ferrari management direct.

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    The FOC is to busy monitoring fchat to reply to you, as they watch this site grow as it is more down to earth on here where every body is treated the same no matter what ferrari you have or dont have
    IN the years gone by there was and still is a bit of snobbery in the foc with the older members but i think it is changing a bit now and so they should i might join next year as at there track days they have been very pleasent and helpfull to fchat members

ps[i bet ray ferguson posts on this thread make it a subscribed only thread tonyh then he will pay the £8] hi ray hi tee arse

3. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert

I find this extraordinary. What are they so scared of people finding out? Perhaps that the members only part of the site is, in fact, rubbish?

Robert.

4. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Personally I think they should be happy that someone is actually using it!!!

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Justin,
    i'd be surprised if they did ban you from the website....might be worth a phone call rather than emailing.
    Good luck and let us know if you need any help.

6. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Justin,

Do you really get that much out of the FoC to be that bothered ?

Serious question, never felt the need to bother joining - Even before F Chat came along?

Seb

7. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Personally I like the mags!!! but again I suppose that does not really warrant the membership fee.

8. BlueMaranello

BlueMaranello Karting

May 29, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The mags and the savings on insurance premiums, which do justify the fee. In fairness though, I haven't yet used many of the facilities the FOC offers.

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I would write what you wrote my self about the old boys club......but i would just be attacked. But i will say quickly the FOC thinks that ferrari ownership starts and finishes with the FOC.

10. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    What did he say to upset them? If he logs on with your id and pwd how would they even know that it was not you?

11. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    The mags, insurance savings, track days, annual concours and invitations to various events throughout the year make it worth while.

12. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I find the FOC fantastic. Very helpful. Organise very good events - trackdays, speed trials, karting competitions, BBQ's, monthly socials through the area clubs, etc, etc. In fact there is so much opportunity and not enough time!! They are very straight, professional, and unbiased. Yes perhaps there is some snobism, but then again we own and love Ferrari's (and cost alot of money), we aren't talking Vauxhall Nova's with big bore exhausts here, so I see no problem - it's good to raise standards.

For the £70 annual m'ship cost I think it is well worthwhile, particularly in relation to the purchase and annual running costs of a Ferrari!!

13. 355BOY

355BOY Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    the North
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Why don't you just use a proxy IP address and give your father to same proxy, it's your IP the system is picking up.

It must only allow 1 IP, which is a joke

M

14. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Do you really think the FOC bulleting borad server is that sophisticated?

15. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    its £8 on here but noticed that you have not subscribed?????

16. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Hey.

The FOC are still debating if I should have access to the FOC website or not...

The FOC has 3/4 Million pounds in the bank at present. You should see the possible new offices they are about to purchase if the sale goes through. Very nice house.... Actually more of a house then a club office.

The club Sec gets a Salary each year, around £45,000 mark.

I know good idea The Ferrarichat Ferraris Owners Club. Would be a better club, members with real passion about Ferraris.

I was at the MITCAR event under the FOC and I decided to REV my engine till rev limiter came in while parked up. Guess what I was told by some FOC members you will ruin your ferrari revving it like that.

As Steve F pointed out, engine is under no load. !!!!

I am really pissed off with the ban....

17. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    fetched back to the top for ray ferguson

18. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Hi Steve i was acused a few days ago of stirring which i was not I am going to send you the spoon m8y All i will say to get banned from something you have had to of done something get my drift ask Tea Arse Maybe we dont know all the facts of this thread either

RAY360(with picture still ) Cheques in the post!!!!!

19. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    ray
    where have you been i thought you was the FOC spy at fchat as i dont know any hairy arse'd builders that are snobs looks like i am going to have to join the FOC how do you go about getting the £45000 grand a year job running the club i am sure you and tee arse can put a word in and get me the job as i am a bit skint at the moment i will sort you two out for a few quid and free menbership for next year if i get the job

20. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I'm a bit confused here.

How would they know that someone else was using your password to enter the members only section? If it only allows one IP address to log in, does that mean you can only view the site from one pc? What if you go abroad and want to view the site...or for that matter view it from an internet cafe?

In addition, most people don't have a fixed IP, so logging IP's would be a waste of time.

Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye.

Just a thought.

21. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yes how does this IP thing work? can some one tell me how it knows. I am right now at Portugal logged in, and was in the UK yesterday morning logged in at one of three home adresses, by sunday i will be logged in in France. How is this done?? Can anyone explain this to me very simply please i have offten wonderd.

22. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    An IP address is simply an address of your computer - as an analogy think of your street name and house number.

When you connect to the internet, your ISP has either given your computer a permenant fixed address that you always keep (very rare), or they issue you with a address that changes every time you log on. they take this address back when you log off (there is a shortage of addresses out there...).

To add to this, when you connect to a site such as FerrariChat, the address shown at this site for you may actually be from the ISP's internet gateway, so for example a selection of users using BT may all appear to be connecting from the same address (BT's gateway).

An ISP in Spain would have a different range of addresses it uses to those that BT (for example) use in the UK.

That probably didn't help you very much did it....

23. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Good explanation.

Basically though, I have'nt come a cross any website that restricts users to an IP address login. I think this forum has a facility to ban persons from a particular IP, but thats about it.

Maybe Kenyon can't get in because of his firewall etc.

24. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    The house number analogy is a good one, but perhaps put in these terms;

Your house has an address. If you are on holiday in Bennidorm, the Hotel has an address. If you are at work, that has an address. So, you street address could be analogous to your IP address.

When you phone your uncle Colin in Peckham, you always dial the same phone number, but the number you dial from will change. So if uncle Colin dials 1471 he can get the number that you called him from.

Similarly Fchat (or FOC BBS) can get the IP address of the machine you are using in a similar way to uncle Colin getting your phone number.

If uncle Colin gets lots of crank calls from the same number, he can ask to have that number barred. And similarly if Fchat is bothered by an irritating bleeder, the IP address of the user can be found. It's quite easy for uncle Colin to do this, because he is dealing with one call at a time, but on Fchat there can be some 2000 users at once, so the task of filtering individual IP addresses is time consuming, and ultimately fruitless (this is why I doubt the FOC website is so picky), as if they attempted to bar an IP address, you could just sod off to your nextdoor neighbour, and use their computer which could have a different IP address.

So, in short Kenyon, I sincerely doubt that your FOC ban has anything to do with your IP address.

Eric pointed out the real problem, and that is that there are not enough IP address to go round and they have to be dynamically assigned, but that's a whole other bag of wallnuts, and it's gonna be tough to find an analogy.....

25. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    ask tonyh as he knows how it all works as he BANNED TEE ARSE from fchat