I want a 308 | FerrariChat

I want a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by calsam, Sep 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. calsam

calsam Rookie

Aug 28, 2004
    Tahoe cal
    Full Name:
    sam
    Does the 80-82 308s have less power than the later ones or earlier years.?

2. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
  3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Yep, 2 valve FI 308's are under powered.

4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Under-powered but under-priced, too. I had a 1982 GTSi as my first Ferrari and loved it. Now, a Honda Civic could beat me out of a light, but it was ME driving the Ferrari. If you only have a little to spend ($20K-ish), go ahead and get the 80-82 model. You will be fine, just don't expect to be driving a rocket. They are still GREAT cars and the workmanship and styling is timeless. Go for it!

5. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes, less power, but... cheaper AND... if you take the emission's junk off (mine has headers and exhaust), they get back up close to what the other years have (or so I've read).

6. calsam

calsam Rookie

Aug 28, 2004
    Tahoe cal
    Full Name:
    sam
    So an 83 has alot more power than the 82? What did they change. Sounds like an 83 QV would be the one?

7. calsam

calsam Rookie

Aug 28, 2004
    Tahoe cal
    Full Name:
    sam
    Would an 86 euro 328 gts fall into the fast category? There is a nice one in the ads section.

8. calsam

calsam Rookie

Aug 28, 2004
    Tahoe cal
    Full Name:
    sam
    Well..... i was thinking that i dont need a rocketship, I need a Ferrari!!

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    QV= 4 valves per cylinder and another 40 HP.

10. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Exactly.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    All 308's are underpowered if you've ever driven a V12.

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes, it is 260hp I think
    328=260hp
    QV=235hp
    GTB/Si=205
    76-77=240 (but that is only in perfect tune, 220-230 in more realistic)
    78-79 =220??? I see them claimed at 240, but they don't have the 240hp cams they have polution cams, so my guess is 220 in perfect tune and 200-210 on any given day.

They are all nice so you can't go wrong. Basically, the more power it has the more it costs. The injected cars are the most drivable (80-up), just turn the key and go. The car carb cars sound cool, but are more bother.

13. dpardyferrari

dpardyferrari Karting

Aug 7, 2002
    Brunswick Maine
    Full Name:
    Darrell Pardy
    The best of the 308's for speed and reliability are the 1985 models. Ferrari seemed to have gotten a lot of the earlier problems worked out by this time and with 255HP they are fast enough and handle really well. I have a 1984, but upgraded the belt system to that of an 85, pulled off the cat, and have a Tubi exhaust. The result is probably an additional 10-15 HP, better fuel economy, and a much better sound.

14. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I owned a '82 308GTSi. Wonderful Ferrari. The problem is not just power as supplied by the factory but additional ballast the US cars had to deal with. If I recall correctly about 300 extra pounds.
    Returned my car to Euro specs less cams. Euro bumpers front and rear, exhaust etc. Performance and power comparable to early carb 308's.
    Undervalued Ferrari.

15. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim

16. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    The early carbed engines in euro tune have the most mystique of any
    308 motor, IMO...

What's the deal with Michelotto cams on these cars? Obtainable ?

There was a two part Forza article on 308 engine building...last year,
    late spring/early summer. Teaches how to upgrade a carb 308 engine to
    290 reliable hp...

To me, the essence of a 308 is to be carbed, just like the Boxers. EFI seems more suitable to cars like the 328 and Testarossa....no flames please..just
    the attitude of these cars, IMHO.

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    84-85 would be better..simpler emission controls, and better rust proofing than the 83.

18. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Euros had 270hp over the 260hp of the North American version...but if this is a "converted" car for use here in the USA, then who is to say, what the hp output is...depends on the conversion process (if any). Could be more, or less hp than a USA model. 10hp is not a huge deal...

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Though the 80-82 cars where rated at 205hp, same as the carb 78-79 cars, it was rumored that they were really putting out around 180-190hp (based on period acceleration tests). I have not seen a 80-82 dyno'd to say for sure, but the 78-79 carb cars ARE putting out around 205hp, seen a few of those dyno'd.

20. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    I wonder where my car would fall in the horsepower spectrum. It's a 1981 with no emissions equipment, Flowmaster muffler, converted to 42 mm Webers, 10:1 compression ratio, cleaned up heads, stock cams and MSD ignition (single distributor). It's the only 308 I've driven so I have nothing to compare it to. Oops, I think I just thread jacked.

21. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    #21 MRFOTOS, Sep 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree, BUT also add very underated for the "Fun Factor"
    With a 2 valve you can still light the tires,feel the G-forces as you accelerate, hear the symphony of music behind you from the engine bay, Get the sun on your face (GTSi), the loads of people saying "nice car" as you pull to a stop light,and get pulled over by your cities finest for driving a bit too fast over the posted speed limit.
    You dont need 4 valves to do all of that.
    But if you got the extra $$$ in your budget for a 4 valver, Go "4" It
    Just dont think you losing out on the Ferrari experience by going with only two valves and 205 horses.
    Others my dispute my opininon, but I hope we will all agee that what matters the most is not the number of horses under the rear bonnet, but the One horse with the yellow background on the front of the car.

Mark

PS: Please dont hate this car because it is only a 2 valver.
    Embrace it for it's world class style, and dynamic racing heritage
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Mark: What are those wheels? They look sharp! I also like the QV-ish contrasting paint you've done to the fender louvers.

23. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    I agree too! Nice wheels...the beauty of the 308's design is that it is timeless. I was in the market for a 328 when I found my 2V 308, I saved $15-20K which I will use for my garage update. The appeal of the carb car? relative simplicity of the car's systems, and of course, for me, the color combo.

Also, the car has a sound with the Webers that's hard to beat! Here's my sled:vSophia2VPeterB.

calsam, my $.02: if I had to do the quest/purchase thing all over again, I'd definately get involved with a club and TAKE YOUR TIME looking. Scan the ads in the newsletters, go to some events and this way you'll get to look touch, feel and drive, as well as chat like here. In addition, you might even find a car from a club member who might want to upgrade their car! I'm in the FCA, and the group is great! Funny, our NWFCA guys all communicate here on F-chat for drives, events, etc.

I did okay with my '78 USA 308 purchase of nearly 2 years ago from a F-car dealer. However, my lack of intimate knowledge of these cars did reduce my bargaining power, and I encountered LOTS of little nuisance problems I had to correct after the purchase. Water under the bridge. Thankfully I'm pretty handy with "the wrench," and I found a great independent Ferrari repair shop to ease the $$$ outlay.

24. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    Mike, The wheels are 18" ENKEI RP05,
    (limited edition not in production anymore) so it would be very difficult to find them new around here, I think you might have some luck in
    New Zealand. The center caps are from a 360 challenge,they snap right in.
    and Yes I ripped off the QV styling on the louvers by painting them black myself. Oh, lowering the car about 2 1/2 inches doesnt hurt to fill up the fender wells to keep it looking sleek.

Mark

25. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Do QVs overheat in traffic?