348 TB vs. GTB who knows the difference | FerrariChat

348 TB vs. GTB who knows the difference

Discussion in '348/355' started by [email protected], Aug 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gfarrell@operamail.com

Aug 25, 2004
    Switzerland
    Hi Folks

Sorry if this is posted already somewhere, but as a previous 348 owner, who left the Ferrari World and defected to Porsches for about 5 years, I find myself wanting to return to my Italian Stallion.

I had an 90 348 TS, which suffered from a few quirks.

a) Light front end feeling at speeds above 80 mph on the freeway
    b) Alternator died
    c) Passenger seat mechanism broke
    d) Got frequently passed by Fiats...ouch!

I Know that the horsepower was increased some 15% and some improvements have been otherwise made - perhaps some build quality improvements as well.

Does anyone have some info on this topic. I really want to go back to a 348, preferably a GTB. I am of the opinion that a 355 might be a better car, but not the first year or two...at least in the reliabilty department. I think Ferraris get better after the first few model years help get the kinks out.

Thanks for your help! I love this message board....keep up the great work!

Signed - Future 348 GTB! in Switzerland

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I believe the GTB had all the upgards of the Spider. The GTB was not available in the USA. The power increase was 12hp,from 300hp to 312hp, which is 4% not 15%.

3. gfarrell@operamail.com

Aug 25, 2004
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the two responses, but I live in Switzerland so

a) the GTB and GTS are available here - Eat your heart out USA : )

and

b) There has to be a real specific list of improvements somewhere on the net, I just have not found it. What I have found, are US sites making generalized statements. What I have not found is a Road Test/Review or a list of actual improvements....beyond the usual "H" Motor, mouldings to match body, etc.

Any detailed info out there?

Thanks!

4. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    a) this was addressed in a couple of updates in -92
    b) + c) not a common 348 problem
    d) passed by Fiats? Are you kidding me?

I *really don't* think that the 348 GTB is worth the price-premium over a well sorted 348 tb from -92 onwards.

Of course, if you've got the extra money and like the looks, I'd say go for the F355!

/Peter

5. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    In Europe, the power for the 348 GTB, GTS and Spider has always been quoted at 320 Bhp.

My guess is that this depends on if you meassure this in SAE or DIN.

/Peter

6. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    The European spec cars went form 300 BHP on the TBs and TSs to 320 Bh[p on the spiders, GTBs and GTSs.

7. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    the difference are

20 more hp (can't feel it)
    some mods on front and rear suspension
    single plate clutch (avaible since 92...)
    Bosch 2.7 ECU (90 had 2.5)

one friend of mine own a gtb and i own a tb, the two car are not really different...

If your ferrai dealer did all the suspension uprgrade on the tb, you can't feel the difference.

I drove several times my tb at more than 220 kmph without any problem of stability.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Okay boys I just got off of the Ferrari site and there is a difference that hasn't been discussed, and over looked. The the GTB/GTS has more power. They have the spyder exhaust with less back pressure. I think they also made the top part of the intake plenum taller in order to get better air flow into the heads. This helps make more power, but this isn't where they are getting it from. They are getting the extra power because they changed the compression ratio from 10:4/1 to 10:8/1. So this is the biggest difference between the GTB/GTS's and the rest of the 348 family. So if you have a chance to get a well sorted out GTB do it.