Looking for a good mechanic shop in San Diego area! | FerrariChat

Looking for a good mechanic shop in San Diego area!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by 348Angel, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348Angel

348Angel Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Hi guys! Long time no talk! How's everyone doing? I need to find a good mechanic shop in the San Diego area? Any one have recommendations?

2. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Gary Bobileff is supposed to be very good although I have no personal experience. www.bobileff.com

Cheers
    Kevin

BTW, well chosen, F-cars-wise!!!

3. Ilya

Ilya Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Ilya
    Bobileff all the way..Hes the best in SD IMO

4. 348Angel

348Angel Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Thanks! I will check it out.

5. AaronB

AaronB Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Fallbrook, CA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Marks
    I agree - Gary Bobileff is my choice. My 328 is at his shop as we speak for its 30k.

Good luck.

Aaron

6. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I picked up my 550 from Bobileff this morning....had Ferodo brakes and Cargraphic exhaust installed. Here are 2 pics I took of the shop.
    Bill

7. 348Angel

348Angel Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Cool pics, thanks! Looks like a nice shop. How is he on turn over time and pricing?

8. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    He told me to bring it in this past Wed...I dropped it off at 11am and picked
    it up today Fri at 11am..2 days.. 6.25 hours x $90/hr to replace 4 brake pads(flush brakes) and r/r exhaust. Excellent job... good scenery in shop..including F50...I dropped it off without paperwork...very trustworthy.
    Bill

9. 348Angel

348Angel Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Sounds like the place I need to go to. It is hard to find a trustworthy shop. Thanks for the info!

10. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Maybe you have an aversion to dealers but Ferrari of San Diego has a good rep as does FoOC (same owners). It might be worth calling both FoSD and Bobileff to get competing estimates.

fwiw, I personally tend to favor dealers because I think I'll have more recourse if something really bad happens during a repair. Plus, a dealer might be able to persuade the manufacturer to chip in on a repair in some special circumstances.

That said, I've heard only good things about Bobileff!

11. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Where is the repair shop for FSD?? Its not at the retail store in La Jolla.

12. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    Miramar off Carrol (the street next to the Triangle "t-pee" looking building next to Dixieline). They are next to West Coast Specialties.

13. 348Angel

348Angel Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    I'd rather not take it to the dealer in S.D. I think I'll try Bobileff.

14. Kuhl328

Kuhl328 Rookie

Aug 7, 2004
    Cincinnati. OH
    I just bought my 328 from a guy who used Gary Bobileff for service. Gary sold the car for him on consignment. A first class guy and straight shooter. I could not be more happy. Car was immaculate mechanically when I received it. He is also recommended by friends in other parts of the country with significant collections. If feasible, I would send my car back to him for all the service it will need in the future. Since I am in Ohio, that can't happen.

15. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
  16. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Sorry! Gary has mainained and repaired my cars over the past 25 years. He is top notch especially with pre-computer cars. He does frame up restorations and knows these cars. He is also a nice person and straight to deal with.

17. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Ditto here. Gary is da man. I was very shocked to see the 90/hr rate. He usually charges 125/hr. Also, the black GT4 in that pic is in sick condition. That one needs a proper burial.

18. 348Angel

348Angel Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Thank you all for the info! I am taking my baby to Gary soon. Hopefully, it is nothing major and I can come out and play soon!