Fila Is Out & Puma Is In! | FerrariChat

Fila Is Out & Puma Is In!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TSMIV, Sep 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
  2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
  3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm happy - I had a pair of Suede Pumas, the classic ones, a while back and they were among the most comfortable shoes I've ever had.

Plus, in the US, Fila just isn't hip anymore.

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I love Fila and Puma. Fila clothing was definately better looking than the Tommy Hilfiger but it was hard to find the good stuff. I agree the first shoes were bad, but got better. Puma seems to be making a major move in the racing world. All Sparco shoes are now branded as Puma's and I've even seen some Puma Nomex suits.

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I prefur puma for Ferrari. Puma imo is more sporty

6. an032nv

an032nv Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Clovis, California
    Full Name:
    Chris Torosian
    Puma is huge right now, I saw hundreds of people (literally) in Puma's at the Concorso. Good choice IMO, the Fila's weren't to attractive.

7. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    I am happy to hear this. FILA has always made (pre and post Ferrari) gaudy, ostentatious, goofy looking clothing -- especially the shoes. They all look like the sort of "Hi-Tops" that were trendy in the early nineties. Perhaps Ferrari has finally become wise to the fact that FILA was a bad idea and moved along to better things.

That having been said, I have always been a big fan of Puma. They design and carry quite a few cool, off the wall designs that go well with pretty much any type of clothing, and because many of their designs amount to little more than a thin, somewhat flexible sole, they make for excellent driving shoes.

Other than Puma, the only racing products I'm wild about is the new race boot by Oakley. They feel like HEAVEN! I have never worn a racing shoe that is so comfortable :)

8. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    i love puma.
    love their Sparco x Puma race cats.
    so now we might get Ferrari x Sparco x Puma?

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Interesting that an originally Italian(now owned by a US company) based company is being dumped for a German company. We'll see if it comes to fruition.

10. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I think Schumacher's already using Puma boots. Go to the racing section thread that shows him after the accident, those look like Pumas.

11. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Yep. Whatever they are they're definately not the FILA "flame" boots that he's been wearing since at least 2001. I guess all the racing boots are pretty much the same and it more comes down to sponsorship contracts. *shrugs*

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I always thought puma would sponsor Jag. :D

13. Alex_Grim

Alex_Grim Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I wear Pumas everyday and they are the most confortable pair of shoes I have (next to my converse). I think that it would be a great move on Ferrari's part to go with Puma. Fila shoes are just ugly and no one wanted to wear them but I think everyone would wear a pair of red Ferrari Pumas espacially when their so god to drive in.

14. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I prefer the Sebago Ferrari driving shoes.
    They look like a sleek docker but slimmer and have the bumpy rubber soles.
    At $100.00 they are a bargain and virtually can be worn all the time.
    gary

15. KJM3

KJM3 Rookie

Jun 30, 2004
    Actually, I read an article about a month ago where it said that the mechanics complained that their Fila shoes weren't comfortable. The article also mentioned that Ferrari was probably going to switch to Puma since their contract with Fila was up at the end of this season.

Puma is SO MUCH more cooler than Fila anyway!

- KJ

16. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Any idea where you can purchase the Puma race boots online?

17. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Puma makes much nicer shoes. Good for them!

18. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    Press release this morning:

PUMA New Partner of Ferrari 7.9.04 Herzogenaurach, Germany, September 8th 2004 – PUMA AG and Ferrari Spa today announce that they have signed a multi-year contract, which becomes effective on January 1st 2005. PUMA AG will become the official licensee of replica and fan merchandise as well as supplier of Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, the most successful Formula 1 team of all times. Therefore, in addition to fireproof racing products, PUMA will supply the team with teamwear, team footwear, as well as accessories. The essence of the contract is the official merchandising collection of Ferrari.

“I am very pleased with our new partnership with Ferrari and its Formula 1 team,” says Jochen Zeitz, CEO and Chairman of PUMA AG. “Over the past years, PUMA has strengthened its position as one of the leading suppliers in the motorsport area. Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro is at the top of Formula 1 and like PUMA they combine high performance, technological competence and design with innovative styling. This makes the team the perfect fit for us and we are proud to work with such a successful partner and to celebrate future triumphs together with them.

Jean Todt, Director General of Ferrari, as well as responsible for the Formula 1 team adds: “PUMA is one of the leading suppliers in motorsport and we are looking forward to working with our new partner.”

With the Future Cat (high and low cut) the merchandising collection – available to the consumer from March 2005 - features a unique product. The red and white shoe carries both the Ferrari Racing Shield as well as the PUMA logo. The range of articles will also include the team-shirt and team-polo (long- and short-sleeve) as well as caps, sweatshirts, rainjackets, and the official replica-shirt, identical to those worn by the team. As a special design feature the well-known footwear Formstrip is incorporated into the epaulette.

Ferrari has a long and proud history in motorsport. As early as 1951, Ferrari achieved its first victory at the Grand Prix of Great Britain. Besides the early success in securing this season’s World Drivers’ title as well as the World Constructors’ Championship, further highlights have been the 13 other Drivers’ and Constructors’ Championship titles the team collected over the past decades.

PUMA performance racing shoes were first used by various drivers and teams in the 1970s and early 1980s. And since 1998 PUMA's motorsport division has gradually assembled an impressive portfolio of sponsorships. In the 2004 season PUMA is the official supplier of racing gear in several motorsport disciplines in addition to Formula 1, such as WRC, F 3000, DTM, etc.

---------------------

How do I know? I work at Puma (North America)!!!! I'll post more product information (items, availability, cost,etc.) as it becomes available.

Theo

19. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    yes, thats a very good idea. fila has been out of style since the '90's. ferrari made the right decision to end their relationship. its a good change, puma is a good new sponsor.

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yes, but more importantly, can you get the real team issue stuff with tobacco branding without some of us needing to spend hundreds on it?

21. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Don't Puma already supply Jordan, Minardi, Sauber, and Jaguar? I hope the stuff they do for Ferrari will be better than the crap those other teams wear! I think BAR probably have the best teamwear and McLaren the worst.
    I liked the Ferrari Hilfiger stuff. The Fila coats were OK, but I wasn't keen on the rest of the stuff. Some of the Fila 'vintage' range was quite nice aswell.

22. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    Don't quote me (yet), but I believe so. I am checking into all of this and will post with all the information and pics as soon as I can.

I'm trying to work things out at work to be the Puma contact/spokesperson for the Ferrari Line at Puma North America.

Thanks,

Theo