328 oil filler leak -- any way to repair? | FerrariChat

328 oil filler leak -- any way to repair?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GrigioGuy, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It turns out my oil filler cap is allowing oil to splash out and make a mess of my motor. It is tight, and the seal looks ok (though it obviously isn't.) Other than replacing it, is there a fix for leaky caps?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You'd have to unrivet it and replace the fiber washer???????

Can't you just bend more tension into the spring??????

I've ordered one thru FoH you can have as I retraced my route and found the one I lost....a little run over but fine otherwise..

But the order hasn't been filled yet....back back backordered!

3. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    There was a post w/i the last year or so, wherein someone stated that some Fiat or Alpha oli filler caps fit. If I recall correctly, pics were included and sources of purchase.

An old trick to make for better cap seals is to apply some vasoline or dielectric grease to the gasket surface before installing. I think that this helps with rubber seals and am not sure if it would work as well w fibre ones.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It'd have to be a high temp grease I'd think, to stay long against liquid splashing.......

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The replacement from International Auto is not chromed..it is brass colored...if that matters. I would be inclined to try two things:

1) Try gently tapping on the two tabs internally, very slightly..if you can bend them inward, say 1mm, then the cap will fit tighter.

2) You might try replacing the gasket, with a slightly thicker one.

If you want to have a look at the one from Int'l Auto:
    Copy and paste this part number into their "item search" : 24350000

Go to: http://www.international-auto.com/

It fits, according to others...but is not the exact item cosmetically. It is a Fiat oil fill cap...go figure.

BTW, the radiator cap is supposedly the same as well...again fits, same rating, but slightly different cosmetics: 48090000

And check out this Alfa gas cap....look familiar? 13011000 This looks EXACTLY like a 308/328/Mondial gas cap. I measured mine and it is 60mm too.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Try Hylomar, it's an oil/gas resistant gel that won't set up.

You could always buy the Fiat cap & strip the fiber washer out, or else have it tin plated.

7. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    My 328 has a rubber or plastic washer in the cap. The old gasket was removed by just pulling it over the tabs. Then a new one was cut out of rubber.
    The problem was that the rubber used swelled in the heat and the cap was very hard to remove. Therefore, put the original gasket back on and if it continued to leak (which is didn't) my thought was to put a shim under the original rubber gasket or make a new gasket out of another type of rubber.

Mark

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Thanks for the suggestions, and the FIAT link. I decided to buy the FIAT cap for now, and play with some of the suggestions once the new cap is on the car.

9. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    The old Fiat 600 or the Spanish Seat 600 Oil Cap is exactlly the same one, less than 1€ part.

- Julio.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Update:

The FIAT cap arrived yesterday. It's almost identical, except that it's brass plated and "OILIO Made in Italy" is embossed into it. It fits fine and makes a tight seal, and there's enough brass bits on the CIS that it looks like it is a factory part.

Not bad for $5 + shipping

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great thread ! perhaps we should make a sticky thread somewhere ( classic?) with all the known cross ref. parts and numbers that work. someone said they think my 308 has wires on it from a Hyundai, i never have taken the time to check, but as the ferrari parts get scarce, its nice to be able to find alternatives that work in order to keep driving the cars. the concours crowds can have the NOS/OEM stuff for shows.

NOW ALL WE NEED IS TO FIND A CHEAP SOURCE FOR DIZZY CAPS!!! :)