My 'Ferrari Faster than a Corvette?' Questions | FerrariChat

My 'Ferrari Faster than a Corvette?' Questions

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by venusone, Sep 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I no sooner drove up to the hospital in my new 89 328 GTS & fellow employees are asking if it is faster than a Corvette. So its not close to the performance of 2000 cars w/ similar stats. How do I tell these folks what its really about? BTW: my sister & her hubby just bought a Viper w/ our parents $.
    My first thought is: “Its sort of like great sex. Speed isn’t everything.”
    Give me some options please.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    get the stats on the 89 Corvette and see if it's faster "than the Vettes of its day."

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    First explain to them that not all Ferraris were designed as 'supercars'. Tell them that they are confusing your car with a Testarossa which at it's introduction in 1985 blew most cars off the road.

Tell them that although a Vette of the same year MAY be able to beat it in a drag race the 328 will out corner it all day long. As the designation implies, the car is a GT. Grand Touring. Designed for high speed driving all day long. The 1989 Vette is a street fighter, quick but ill mannered in the corners.

You are correct, it's not just about speed, it's about balance and handling. A Subararu WRX will beat your 328 in a drag race but compared to a 3x8? It's butt ugly. Apples to Oranges.

It's even harder to justify when driving an Oldslow308 like mine. My 240Z will beat it in a drag race up to 90 MPH. From there it's the 308.

1. It's a GT car not a super car.
    2. Yes a Vette will probably beat it.
    3. It handles better
    4. It's better looking
    5. It will hold it's value long after the Vette is junked.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Tell them to compare oranges to oranges, its not fair to compare a 15 yr old car with a new car.

My old 84 308 was not faster than Vettes of its day but it would outhandle & outbrake them all day long. Today a nice 308 is worth mid $20s, an 85 Vette is worth about $2,000

Your 328 also probably outhandles & outbrakes its contemporary Vettes.

Just dont bring up the ZR1 Corvette :)

5. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Just ask them which one they would rather take for a drive.... a Chevrolet or a Ferrari?

It's not just about "how fast you go."

It's about "how" you go fast!

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Excellent.

7. Oblio

Oblio Karting

May 9, 2004
    Puget Sound, WA
    Full Name:
    Todd R
    Gary you have the best advice. I certainly would, and did pick the Ferrari over the vette.

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Karen,

Family issues? We've all got them........ congrats on the new car. FWIW - I get these questions sometimes and I just agree with whatever they say. Life is too short to be concerned about jealousy. Then I just drive away enjoying it all the way.

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    A friend of mine just bought a z06 over a 348. 4 months later hes regretting the idea now. Why? the it factor....enought said. At the end of the day its your money and you decide what you enjoy. As for the vette, tell your follow freinds that a vette and a ferrari are like a doctor at your hospital versus the cafeteria worker. They both have to go to the same place but serve two different roles.

10. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I think we serve a different master.

11. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ
    u can just say no, and leave them to wonder why you bought it... not everyone has to (or will) understand, thats the beauty of it

12. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Karen,

The biggest thing to remember, if they don't get it, they probably never will. Don't worry about it, live and let live. I used to have a '99 Mustang GT convertible. When I got rid of that for a BMW 540I 6-Speed, none of my friends could believe it. Why would you get rid of your mustang for a 4 door sedan? They would ask.

When I drove the BMW and realized that it handled performance driving in a balanced and poised manner, and you could still drive your parents around in it with out them wondering about the condition their kidneys would be in after the ride, it was the perfect car for me at the time.

When I got the 348, I was really surprised at the questions and comments. Some of the comments are down right intentionally hurtfull. I've had my car compared to a Toyota with over a hundred thousand miles on the odo. "What does your Ferrari have that my Toyota doesn't have?" The guy's wife actually answered the question before I had a chance to reply. She turned to him and punched him in the arm and replied: "Jim, you big dork, when was the last time your car attracted a crowd like this?" There were probably about 15 people admiring my car at the time.

Ever since the first time I ever saw a Ferrari, there has always been something about the cars that I've been drawn to. The handling, the design, the mechanical masterpiece, the mystique. The time when I first I was in second gear and I pushed past 4k rpm and I heard the sonorous wail from behind just confirmed it for me. It instantly put a smile on my face. Is it the fastest car on the road? Heck no. Is it supposed to be. Heck no.

The nice thing about Ferraris is, aside from enthusiasts like our selves, very few people can tell the difference in age between a 1979 308 GTB and a 348 Spider. They are timeless pieces of brilliant automotive sculpture. I still get people asking me "Is that a 2004?" When I tell them that it is a 1994, they have a hard time believing it.

Sorry for the long dissertation. The bottom line is "Who cares what other people think, get out there and DRIVE!"

Mike

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    "Sex appeal!"

14. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL, well, that's not exactly what I was going for, but that's what it meant to her! :)

15. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    I have a 1982 308 GTSi and a 2004 Z06. Honestly they just do not make cars any more that look like the 308. I have great respect for the car and its hertiage - can not put enough emphasis on that. I would not give up the Ferrari. Its injected and perhaps slower than the early 308 but I bet its more "driveable". It hasn't broken and starts first time ever time hot or cold. The Z06 is bullet proof and gets 20 MPG in town - almost 32 on the highway. It goes like stink. I have it because, for the money, nothing comes close to its performance. Does it have a hertiage like the 308? Of course not and it never will.

16. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    See, then your response after her telling him could have could have been,

"Well, it appears your wife likes my car more than yours!!"

I would have struggled to not respond with such a comment, when his was so blatantly out of jealousy. At least his wife knew he was a dork.

17. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Define speed? I know you have a Miata, a car so dominant in twisty tracks that few things could touch it. I have read that track spec Miatas would regularly take out 550's and Vipers. Just expain to your friends (if you feel you have to) about the magic you feel when you drive the car. You could have bought a ZO6 with 328 GTS money and you did not......that feeling!

18. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

That's the real point. you don't have to explain a d@mn thing.

19. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    Ya, i'd just say no.

People ask me how fast my M3 is, and i'll tell em "Not very" :)

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Many people are astounded when I tell them my 308 is 25 years old. Most assume it is much newer. That shows how 'right' the design is. Try that with a 25 year old Corvette.

21. Alex_Grim

Alex_Grim Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Tell them that all cars go the same speed on the road whatever the spped limit is. So in other words they go the same speed.

22. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    tell them yes, yes it's much faster.

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I just tell them it will do 150 MPH.

24. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You could also use the "Dunno, but it goes faster than I've ever driven it!"

:)

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Better yet.