Traffic pro retrofit in Modena | FerrariChat

Traffic pro retrofit in Modena

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jrotsaert, Sep 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jrotsaert

jrotsaert Karting

Aug 15, 2004
    Reading, UK
    Full Name:
    Jean-Marc
    Would like to retrofit a Traffic pro to my Modena but have 2 questions: 1) Is there a standard location in the car for the GPS antenna and 2) is there a plug for the reverse signal or will I have to do something from the fuse box?
    All help greatly appreciated
    THX
    JM

2. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    JM, I fitted a TrafficPro to my 355. Not the same as a 360, granted, but to the answers to your specific questions are similar:

1. There probably is a standard place for the 360, someone on here with a WSM should be able to find that for you. If you can't wait/find out you can place it yourself. I placed my antenna on the dashboard (see image). The important things are that the antenna has a good view of the sky in all directions. Under glass is OK so long as it is away from the wiper arm and wire elements in the screen. The antenna needs a metallic groundplane and if you install it in the car like I did you MUST use the small square steel plate supplied by Becker. You can see it in the picture under the antenna.

2. For the reverse signal you neet to "T" into the 12v switched supply from the reverse switch. For the 360 I would check all the connectors at the radio wiring plug to see if there is a reverse signal already there since the trafficpro was a F. option it's likely the loom is pre-wired with the necessary signals (reverse and vehicle speed). I can give more info on how to check the connectors if needed.

If the signals are not there then the answer depends on your transmission; My car is a manual 6spd, so I got the signal from under the shift gate in the car. The switch is directly mounted to the gear stick housing. If you have an F1 shift I would suggest getting the signal from the reverse lamps and running the wire back into the cabin. I doubt there is a fuse position specifically for the reverse lights and anyway, messing with the fuse box is always a bad idea.

When you've done the install don't forget to run the calibration.

Good luck,

Rob

3. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I put one in my car. Love it! Although the switching CD thing is a minor PIA occasionally.

If you have a 6 speed you can get the reverse signal from the reverse switch in the shift gate. If not, you may be able to tap into the F1 switch unless it uses some weird electrical multiplexing...

The only other connections are ground, ignition+, battery+, speakers, radio antenna, and the GPS antenna.

I located my GPS antenna in the left corner of the dash where it is out of sight from the passenger and the wire tucks into the pillar cover so you cannot see the cabling. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Anywhere is fine for the antenna as long as it isn't obstructed by any metal and has a reasonable view of the sky (30 - 60 degrees). The best places are the most hidden from view, but someone with a factory installed GPS would be the best source of location as it would be best to copy it to be like a factory job.

The only other difference with the units is the retail models don't say FERRARI on the startup screen and there may be some color variation on the screen color.

4. jrotsaert

jrotsaert Karting

Aug 15, 2004
    Reading, UK
    Full Name:
    Jean-Marc
    Thanks for your replies gents.
    I have found the fuse box for the reverse light and it doesn't look like a massive job to route a wire back. there is no pre-wiring of the reverse in my current harness (too bad). For the antenna, I was thinking to put it right in the middle of the car as that is the shortest route back to the car.
    Given that my car is an F1, I'm sure that there is a wire somewhere that I can tap into and hence avoid having to run a wire from the fuse box... We'll see.
    Have you guys also installed a phone system connected to the Traffic Pro? I got a Nokia bluetooth system and it works wonder but I will need to cut into Nokia wires to make it play through the Traffic Pro Vs the supplied speaker which would not look great in the car... Preaty neat though
    Thanks again for your help. It would be great to hear from an owner who had it factory installed... I will call my dealer tomorrow and ask!
    All the best
    JM

5. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I installed the Sony Ericsson bluetooth module. It is pretty slick. The module ties into the traffic pro phone mute wire so when a call is made or rings through it mutes the traffic pro music (it does not mute any directions that are pending however ie: turn right left etc).

The bluetooth module has its own speaker (I have it temporarily mounted under the dash out of sight) but I am getting the optional module that integrates the actual sound into the car stereo speakers. The Traffic pro doesn't have audio in for the phone function (it does have an aux in for an iPod etc) so you have to use a module compatible with your bluetooth system that attaches in line between the Traffic pro speaker outputs and the actual speakers.

Making calls with the top down can be a challenge, but it does work as long as your not going TOO fast...

6. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I installed the Sony Ericsson bluetooth module. It is pretty slick. The module ties into the traffic pro phone mute wire so when a call is made or rings through it mutes the traffic pro music (it does not mute any directions that are pending however ie: turn right left etc).

The bluetooth module has its own speaker but I am getting the optional module that integrates the actual sound into the car stereo speakers.

Making calls with the top down can be a challenge, but it does work as long as your not going TOO fast...

7. jrotsaert

jrotsaert Karting

Aug 15, 2004
    Reading, UK
    Full Name:
    Jean-Marc

Are you positive that I can't run the phone signal through the speakers? The back of the Traffic Pro (mine is a high speed model 7820 or something like that) shows a mute in in section A and speakers in through section C...
    I seem to remember doing that in my 996 back in 1999 also...
    JM

8. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    The way mine is setup (I'll check the model #) is that the aux input in Section C was originally intended as the audio input for the CD changer accessory but could be used with any audio source. However, the phone mute wire will mute the ENTIRE traffic pro audio system (except the nav directions) which includes the aux input. I don't think it will work if you use the phone system as the audio input because it will mute it.

The Sony Ericsson device is called the HCE-16:
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=AMM

It is designed to go between the speaker outputs of the Traffic Pro and the actual speakers. It lets you get your phone calls integrated into your car speakers and also handles the muting, in case your deck doesn't have the mute function (which the Traffic pro does so N/A).

I'm sure Nokia must sell an equivalent device for their bluetooth car kit.

9. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Agreed. To avoid PIA issue I am currently filling an ipod with my collection and will then tune in radio to itrip. Keep navigation CD permanently.

As for factory installed I bought my car 2nd hand and it was already fitted. 3 years later I have yet to see the GPS location so it must be a good job!

10. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I'm planning the same thing with my iPod.

Check this thing out:
    http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=375&Itemid=79

Apparently it will plug into the traffic pro and will emulate the cd changer yet connect to your ipod. So your traffic pro will control the ipod directly, and can change the tracks and songs, etc.. I'm going to give it a try and see if it does what it says it will.

The benefits are direct connect audio (through aux in so no FM modulator) and direct control of the ipod so you could hide it away in the glove box or somwhere.

11. RachelZ3

RachelZ3 Rookie

Dec 23, 2004
    Hello Ferrari owners,
    My name is Rachel Corey, I was the beta tester for the US version Traffic Pro in my BMW Z3 in 2001 when the Traffic Pro first came out. My article from the March 2002 Roundel is posted on the Traffic Pro web site. BMW did not buy Traffic Pro although several other marques did, from Porsche to Land Rover and finally Ferrari. (Ford purchased Traffic Pro but required it to be be coded only for Ford as the Traffic Pro II).

Naturally in 2001 it the Traffic Pro concept was groundbreaking- but in those short four years technology advances like iPods and Bluetooth, wireless connectivity, satellite radio have become the norm, threatening to obsolete the Traffic Pro. All these advances can be incorporated into Traffic Pro use to some degree in 2005 (with a little tweaking) but as the unit is so old and discontinued in the USA there are limits.

On the other hand, nearly five years of fairly widespread use have also indicated that some new technology is actually unwanted - like a map display.

Over 100 Traffic Pro owners have joined a Users Group and over 10,000 have come to the Traffic Pro Users page to discuss the issues with this unit, how to get the best out of it- just since the same month that this thread appeared on FerrariChat in 2004. Becker turned up a box of BMW Traffic Pro units (demo units never sold) at the same moment that Ferrari bought into the Traffic Pro. Traffic Pro was discontinued and out of production until Ferrari put in their order. Meanwhile, Crutchfield was selling the aftermarket version for as little as $329.00

One reason why the TPs were selling so cheap is because the nav software CD had not been updated since 2001. It is only thanks to Ferrari that we got an update, that is, "Version 2". No new software updates are planned.

The thing is, we love these units. Polling the Users Group shows that everyone loves them and would happily pay to upgrade the software, or buy a new unit if only Becker/Harman Kardon would make them available to us- as they do for our European counterparts. There are fabulous new versions available for Europe complete with add on software programs from Michelen.

We banded together across the car marque divide to help each other with related issues and discovered that they are all the same unit , the software and even the lighting displays are interchangeable. Apparently my BMW Traffic Pro is the same unit as your Ferrari unit which is the same as the aftermarket unit, the only difference is in chamber C2 for marque specific electronics (e.g. steering wheel volume controls). Becker Technical Support and chief US executive have joined the list, they monitor user comments and they contribute answers to technical questions. (It's a very friendly casual list.) We are also working with the President of Blitzsafe to cure some bugs with the new accessories, they make the adapters for everything from switches to Dension iPod and Phatboxes.

I'd like to thank you as Ferrari owners for getting us the map update and kicking the factory back into production, even if for a few months, and invite you to join us for help getting the most out of the Traffic Pro. I'd also like to get enough owners together to influence the market to either support the Traffic Pro with a future of map and other software updates or a new version of the Traffic Pro that we could buy that keeps the features we now know we want and adds the right new features. As KKSBA said, I love it. I don't want to get in a car that doesn't have Traffic Pro, and I haven't seen another unit I prefer since 2001.

To that end, I will answer these old questions- although I am a bit rusty, the best info is on the list, and you have surely sorted it these issues by now- and ask you to please join the Users Group, band together with representative owners from Porsche, Audi, BMW, Honda, MINI and all car marques in the US and abroad to get a better use and a better product. I also would be delighted to put up whatever Ferrari-specific installation information you think would be helpful to other Ferrari owners on the Users page as I have and will for all car marques.

Again, thank you for buying into the Traffic Pro, without you we'd have had no new update. With the Ferrari owners joining us I think we might have a chance to get more.

-Rachel
    Here is the Traffic Pro Users Page, the sign up for the Users Group is there as well.
    http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/01/081501/becker.html
    I hope you find it helpful :)

12. RachelZ3

RachelZ3 Rookie

Dec 23, 2004
    We did several location tests, my conclusion is that even though everyone wants to keep the antenna hidden, it's best on top of the dash, and no one ever notices it there.

I have to look again for the image you referenced, I couldn't see it yet. Definitely there are issues specific to each car in terms of interference and best placement for the GPS antenna. I hadn't heard of the wiper arm issue before, but this may be something specific to the Ferrari. I would be interested to know more. The steel plate is also completely new to me- none of the other cars have this steel plate.

Although the reverse wire is hooked up in my car, what we have been hearing is that there is no need to hook up the reverse wire at all. Most people don't hook it up.

What CD switching issue? You mean swapping out the NAV CD for music? Does the Traffic Pro not work with the stock Ferrari CD changer? (I dont even know if there is a stock Ferrari CD changer) I would like to know more about this.
    Do you have to make all those connections? For the rest of us, we only have to plug the unit into a harness, the only connection we have to make (aside from the optional reverse wire) is the acceleration (Speed/GAL) wire.
    I'd love to see the pic and agree with the antenna placement :)
    Correct on the screen- but you can always buy a screen and stick it on another Traffic Pro.

Reverse not necessary- and I think the GPS antenna will suffer in the middle of a car with a roof.
    We've installed bluetooth and non-bluetooth car kits from Motorola, and bluetooth from Eriscsson and Nokia. They all work great. On the Motorola, which I have, defnitely cut the kit speaker off!!! It's all spelled out in detail on the Users Page.

It rocks how the phone mute works with both music playing and navigation speaking. When you are on the phone, the music is lowered, but when the Navigation voice comes on, both sides of the phone conversation hear it. Agreed on the top down phone calls at speed ;)

Users of both Nokia and Ericsson are on the list :)

I am running out the door late, I hope to hear more from you folks. I will try to check back here, I am subscribed to this thread but if you could come to the Users Group to speak for yourself about:

Your degree of satisfaction
    Adding accessories (ipod, phone, satellite radio etc)
    Icelink Plus
    Map Updates
    Features- available for Europe (faster processing chip)

Somehow I missed it in my quotes, but I know someone was talking about the Dension Icelink for iPod. There is a new Dension Icelink that is out and we know it works with at least some models, allowing you to control track advance through the Traffic Pro. So far we are not finding anyone able to see song titles on the Traffic Pro.

Currently I have my iPod playing through the Aux In, and I have the Motorola Bluetooth phone kit.

-Rachel