upgrade 308 fuse boxes to modern ones | FerrariChat

upgrade 308 fuse boxes to modern ones

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by patpong, Sep 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    The original fuse boxes on my 308, 76 are never reliable. I can never get all the connections to work. Thinking about change the fuse box to a modern one, more reliable and much cheaper but I got no idea which one should be best to fit the space. Please advice....
    Pat

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Search Search Search.
    It's been written up extensively on the present and old forums.
    Try "308 NAPA FUSE".

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I did the NAPA swap last year. No problems.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    #5 yelcab, Sep 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Thanks Mike!

Yes, after being infuriated by the crappy 308 fusebox over and over, I decided to make a new one that uses modern fuses. All the info was right here in good old FChat. Tracing back through the archives, it's still unclear to me who originally came up with the design, but several people had done the mod and steered me to the right parts.

It seemed like something a lot of 308 owners would want, so rather than just make one pair, I have made up a "template" so I can build a perfect drop-in replacement pair of these 308 fuseboxes for anyone that wants them in just a few hours. PM me if you want a pair. I'm not in business trying to make money on these or anything. I just ask for cost of parts plus whatever else you feel like throwing in for my trouble! (This is the FChat discount!!)

Birdman

7. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    many thanks you guys...

8. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    You guys are the greatest.

I know many other people (probably some shop owners) get a LOT of info from this board.

Just showing some humble gratitude for you unselfish folk.

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    That is a very clean installation. Are the fuses identified somehow (are there covers that go over these and have the names/numbers on them)?

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    The only project I've done on mine that was any easier (than the fuse panel) was repacing the stock headlights with updated lenses and bulbs! The fuse panel job was much cheaper to do though!!

11. bossious

bossious Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    Does anyone know where I can get all the parts I need in the UK?

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #12 Jdubbya, Sep 2, 2004
  13. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Peter
    If you use the Nuvolari method (separating the individual holders and mounting on an Al strip) then the overall width will allow the original covers to fit. You will however need to find a way to hold the covers in place.

Gerrit

14. bossious

bossious Rookie

Feb 23, 2004

they don't ship outside of the US so the hunt continues, thanks anyway.

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    What I did was place my covers nose to tail on a photocopier. This yielded a perfect copy with all the fuse size and tasks listed out. I keep this piece of paper folded in a small ziploc bag with a few spare fuses and a fuse puller. The whole lot goes in the centre console storage compartment or the tool kit. Since changing the fuseblock though, I have not once even removed my fuse panel cover let alone changed a fuse.

16. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hi Bossious

You can try Digikey, they ship outside of North America.

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I made a new fuse guide and printed it out, then just glued it to the inside of the dash piece that covers the fuseboxes.

18. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Thanks for posting the methods Rob, Gerrit and Birdman.

Those NAPA fuse blocks, what's the max amp rating they can handle?

19. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I don't know the rating, but you'll have no trouble with the 7.5amp and 15amp AGC fuses you'd use to replace the old euro 8 and 16 amp fuses.

20. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well in excess of any fuse value that should be installed in any of the circuits in the car!

21. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Question: Those fuse boxes appear to use the regular glass style fuses. If you are going to update, why not update to a fuse box which uses the newer type of plug-in fuses (blade-type)?

I believe these types of fuseboxes are available, I recall seeing them somewhere.

Dom

22. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #22 Peter, Sep 4, 2004
    I asked because of the Bosch H4 & H1 headlights I installed a few years ago, the current draw was so much with all four lights on, that I would pop the 8 amp fuses within minutes and the fuse box was on the point of melting. I bypassed the box entirely and ran the high-light circuit (when all four lights are on, the two 8 amp fuses for the high-lights were just not enough) to a separate, remote-mounted 25 amp blade fuse, which now can support the load and the unit is much cooler. It would be nicer if I could go back and have all the fuses in the one box and not have this extra fuse under the dash.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I think the idea is to keep an original look with the cylindrical fuses. Nothing wrong with using blade fuses, but also nothing wrong with using glass fuses either. Other than having the problem with my headlights, all the other fuses are still the original ones I installed when I bought the car four years ago.

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Yes, the cylindrical fuses look more original, but they are also much easier to see. You can check the condition of one without pulling it from the holder. A blade type fuse has to be pulled to check it. The large contact area of the cylindrical fuse is also just as good electrically as the blade type fuse. The OEM fuses are terrible in this respect as they are only contacted by a tiny ring of metal on the conical tips.

Peter, just an opinion but I would say that if you have installed lights that draw enough current to melt your fusebox, they will also be in danger of melting your OEM wiring and connectors on the back of the lights. You should defintely stick to a special circuit for them. A 25A fuse in cylindrical glass is pretty standard equipment in lots of cars.

Birdman

25. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Peter
    When I upgrade my headlights (that is whenever I get to it) I am going to use relays to carry the load. The fusebox and switch would carry only enough current to operate the relay which would be wired directly to the battery with an appropriate size fuse.
    Early Audi Quattros (ur-Quattros pre 1985) had fuse boxes that would rival those used in the 308 for corrosion and meltdown (and I can confirm that). A popular modification for US spec cars is to use euro headlights utilizing stand alone relays and heavy direct wiring. Properly done it works great.

here is a web site with some good tech info
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/