Yet another 308 oil question | FerrariChat

Yet another 308 oil question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Tennlee, Sep 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I have a '79 308GTS. I know I'm supposed to check the oil level after shutting off a warm engine (although there seems to be argument about how long after shutting off). Anyway, I haven't started the car, and I think I put in too much oil. Just checking the oil as it sits, the dipstick reports oil level is way high, like two inches up the dipstick from the max level. Should I remove some oil before starting? Should I do another oil change? Without changing the filter, how much oil should I put in?

Thanks!!!

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    8 liters is about what they take normaly. I usually put in about 7 1/2 and let the car run until warm. I then let the car sit about 10minutes and top up as needed.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i believe it common to put in 1 extra quart to help with oil starvation in hard right corners. i *think* i put in 7 quarts in my 308. my oil level is slightly above full and has not moved since i did the oil change a month or so ago. using mobile 1 15w50 and baldwin filters. FWIW.

4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Start it and run it, then check it.
    Unless you put in 7 gallons instead of 7 quarts, you're not going to ruin anything.

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Re: amount of oil, my '85 QV takes 8.5 quarts on the nose for a full mark reading. According to my manual, the oil should be checked 15 min after shutting down.

6. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have always heard 9 qrts. My 83 308 manual says 2.64 us gallons which would be 10 qrts.

7. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    1. How much oil did you put in?
    2. Do you have an "owner's manual" for your vehicle?
    3. Is your vehicle spec's USA or Euro?

To properly check the oil level on your car the engine should be run until the temp is between 140 and 150 degrees, the engine shut down and the oil checked immediately after.

The reason for this is to avoild reading "drain back" from the oil cooler.

There are different oil capacities between some GTB and GTS engines of the same year of manufacture so you need to have the proper capacity of sump and filter for your particular car.

The number I have is for a 1979 308 GTS (USA) is 7.42 quarts, however, this is a hand written note so I would verify it prior to relying on it.

Things that will cause the oil level to read high after an oil change and adding the proper amount of oil called for in the appropriate manual and prior to starting the engine are:

Properly draining the oil cooler ... there will be several quarts of oil in the sump prior to starting the engine that will be transfered through the oil cooler when the engine is running.

Not charging the oil filter prior to installing ... "charging" the oil filter is filling the oil filter prior to installation. If not charged, there will be some 1/3 to 1/2 quart of oil in the sump that will be retained in the oil filter after oil pressure has been established.

Hope this helps somewhat,

Best wishes

8. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Also, the car should be level when checking the oil.

Put in 8 qts. If it reads a little low that's ok, but you can top it off if you want. If it reads a little high, that's ok too; but 2" above the MAX mark is a bit high.

9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I hope this is not the case, but:

I've heard of instances where people have accidentally drained the transmission oil, instead of the engine oil, then overfilled the engine oil.

The transmission is labelled: Olio Cambio
    The engine oil is labelled: Olio Motore

Please check to make sure you haven't drained your transmission oil.

Dom

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    2" high seems way high....but you never check cold...you have to warm up the engine...then shut off, and check after 15 minutes. Right after shut down will probably read low. If you let it sit overnight, it will probably read .5 to .75 inch above the full line.

11. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree with the above ...

The above provides a safe method for changing: add an amount of oil that is slightly below the maximum amount suggested for a "clean" system ... there will almost always be an amount of residual oil within the system ... then add oil as needed after charging the system via running the engine and then checking the oil level.

I found the manual for 1978 GTS and the "oil sump and filter" amount is 9 litres ... approximately 9.5 quarts. (The 7.42 quart number in my previous post is the "max" on the dipstick and the "min" is 5.3 quarts. These numbers are given in the manual to allow one to add approximately the correct amount of oil to bring a low reading up to the "max.")

The 9.5 quarts is for a properly evacuated oil system and a new filter. Properly evacuated would mean that the oil was warm, the sump drained, the oil cooler drained and a new filter to be installed.

Further, this manual for this particular model does suggest that the oil be read from the dipstick "immediately" after shutdown ... probably meaning not more than 5 min or so to avoid reading drain back.

Keep us posted

Best wishes

12. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Your 308 will run well with 16 quarts of oil. I did it once for 200 miles!.......That damn gearbox went 200 miles dry!