Urgent - any members in or near Boynton Beach? | FerrariChat

Urgent - any members in or near Boynton Beach?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Gatorrari, Sep 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If there are any F-Chatters in or near the Boynton Beach area, I need a big favor.

I have not been able to contact my parents in nearly 24 hours. I'm hoping they're all right and that the only reason I can't get through is the loss of power. (I think all their telephones are cordless, so when the power went out, so did their phones.) FPL cannot give an estimate when they might get power back.

I tried contacting the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, but they are (understandably) not taking any non-emergency calls and I cannot call their 911 from here. Can someone down there call 911 and see if a deputy can be dispatched to their townhouse? Their address is 3743 Silver Lace Lane, unit #8, in the Oakwood Lakes subdivision, west of the Super Wal-Mart.

2. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I live in Lantana which is only the next town north of them. I am in Nashville right now but I did talk to my gardener. There is quite a bit of down trees and roofs missing. No real structural damage but the clay tile roofs are fine. Some boats sank on the intercostal and damage to docks. Our home has no broken windows but the problems above. Some tanks for gas floated up. I don't think the phones are working and FPL is on my island right now. I'll bet they are fine but a little shaken up. The hospitals are very crowded. The police are patroling our area and are limiting people crossing the intercostal. The strorm just moved so slowley there is a lot of water.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I heard that the phones, as well as the electricity, were out in some areas. I got ahold of my cousin in Boca Raton, whose phone was working, and she called her mother-in-law who lived near my parents. She went over and verified that they were physically fine, just hot and bothered like everyone else in the area. My mom was naturally worried because of the fact that I wasn't able to contact her.

So all is about as well as can be expected. By now dad will have gone to find an open supermarket and buy some food (depending on what was available and not spoiled). I just hope FPL takes less than the "3 to 5 days" I was hearing on the news. Living without electricity is tolerable but living without air conditioning in Florida is not.

And thanks to the F-Chatter down in Miami who offered to help.

4. Ski Guy 348

Ski Guy 348 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Jay M.
    Glad to hear your parents are okay!! It looks like we have a LOT of rain on the way here in the Carolinas and GA. Get the Ferraris to higher ground!!

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Of course, now Frances is coming this way. All we will get is a bit of wind and a lot of rain, and fortunately I'm in an area that doesn't flood. My 328 will stay nice and dry in the garage while the Civic SI does all the (wet and) dirty work.

6. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    Jimpern, you are right it is hot down here and being without power for "3 to 5 days" will not be fun. Take if from someone who did not have power for 2 weeks after Charley, a generator can save your life!! If there is anyway you can get your folks even a small generator so they can run some fans and lights it will lift their spirits.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If anyone wants to know, I got a call from my parents this evening. This afternoon, in short order, they got their phone service and electricity back. So the worst is over.

As for Ivan, it's looking like it will visit Jamaica and then Cuba and head into the Gulf. Better yet if the Cuban mountains do it in (while giving Fidel a drenching).

8. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Sorry I didn't get the message sooner.

Glad to hear that your parents are ok.

I was in the only neighborhood in Boca that HAD power in the storm. It is a mess down here, but we are getting the clean up started. It will still be a while until things are back to normal.

Scottie - in Boca

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Scottie, I enjoyed attending your U.S. Grand Prix party back in June. Next time I expect to be in south Florida--in late December--I hope to be with Ferrari instead of just having photos of the car. Hopefully you, or someone, will be able to arrange a Ferrari get-together of some sort.

Thanks to you--and everyone--for your concern.