bb512i huge sense of relief | FerrariChat

bb512i huge sense of relief

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by steveirl, Sep 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    i only bought my 1984 boxer a couple of months ago and last week i noticed oil patches on the garage floor appear after a drive, with cars like this you automatically assume the worst, crank oil seal or something similair, imagine my relief when I got the car onto a lift today and discovered one of the oil filters had come loose, nearly two turns to tighten it back up, this ever happened to anyone before? needless to say my spirits lifted afterwards.
    steve

2. Frank R. Masiarz

Nov 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Frank R. Masiarz
    Hi...........

Great news !!! Be sure to check the oil level in the tank; anyone sloppy enough to not tighten the oil filters may not have properly filled the tank with oil either.

Your Boxer engine circulates massive amounts of oil at nearly 100 pounds per square inch of pressure. Make sure that all of the fittings are tight and that you never use a filter with a low burst pressure specification.

Check out the Boxer Website and please contact me through the "Comments" link. Will forward notes of interest to Boxer owners via e-mail attachments.

Enjoy the "rocket ship" !!!!!!

Frank............23005
    www.masiarz.net/bb_resource

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great looking boxer Steve! good thing you found the leaking / loose filter. i swear by doing a detailed check on these older cars before i drive them. little things can cost big $$$$ !

4. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    well the filter was loose and weeping slightly, but I took the car out today for a short drive, and again after parking it up oil is dripping, i have established it is coming from the lower ppart of the block, at the front of the engine(front of car) on the drivers side(right hand drive car) . It is difficult to see but there are two identical parts of the engine casting, one either side connected to a pipe, both pipes going towards the centre of the engine, i dont have proper schematics of the engine but from the handbook they seem to be oil pickups from the sump. each is held onto the underside of the block by three bolts and the oil appears to be coming from that area directly infront of the alternator. on page 64 of the bb512 handbook the diagram showing the cambelt tension locknut, the pipe connected to the u shaped piece is clearly visible in the diagram, running horizontal below both lower pulleys.Christ this I think is almost impossible to get at from underneath, if a gasket needs to be replaced???

5. TiAmoVeloce

TiAmoVeloce Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    So. California
    Steve,

Check the oil return hoses from your valve covers. There is a small gasket on the flange that is prone to leaking. Also check that the return hose is of the correct type. See if they feel swollen or mushy. Sometimes people use water/heater hose and it will not last.

Just something you might check.

Best regards,
    Ralph