Pics of EXTREMELY rare weather in Sydney | FerrariChat

Pics of EXTREMELY rare weather in Sydney

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Mike360, Sep 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 Mike360, Sep 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We had a Hailstorm here in Sydney last night, which isn't exactly an rare occurance.
    The Aftermath of the storm was something of a mystery. The hail and the ground formed into ice and covered the ground in Snow. This is the first time in recorded history of this happening. It was snowing around the suburbs! Sydney is not in a climate that can have snow, and you probably wont see this again. Thought this might interest the weather buffs out there!
    There are also some pics of the storm too.
    If you would like the High res versions, drop me a pm.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Where are the pictures taken from ... ie. what suburb, cause I only got the rain and thunder.

I thought this was going to be pictures of it raining ;) ...

Pete

3. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They were taken in Concord. Only 10 Min drive from the center of the city!!!

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How's the damage?. We were living in Kensington when the last storm went right over our house. I was in the USA at the time and it gave my wife and family a big fright.

Luckily I had put the car in the garage ... but it punched holes through the corrigated iron roof!!!!!

Pete

5. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The damage from last nights storm was minimal. Just some cracked roof tiles and a few branches. I remember that storm a few years ago.
    The hail was so strong, it smashed all the cat-eyes off the road in the Royal National Park!!

6. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Wow some cool looking pics there.

7. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks dude.......

8. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I remember when i was in Sydney a couple years ago it was really cold and they were calling for snow i belive but it warmed up and it was just rain.

9. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Its never actually "snowed" in Sydney. Its come close, but the other day it actually did. Hence the "rare" pics.........

10. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great pics, thanks. I must go to Australia some day. Looks beautiful.

11. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the compliments mate. Australia really is a beautiful country, especially the outback and the Great Barrier Reef. Hope you eventually get here one day!

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Those lightning pictures are unbelieveable... Good show, old chap...

13. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Cheers Mate!
    Taken from one of my Business Partners flat. He has an awesome view of the harbour and the harbour bridge, as you can see. You should be there at New Years when the whole bridge gets lit up in fireworks!

14. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    that is quite an expensive flat i think. your lucky its not cold at new years so u can auctually enjoy the fireworks.

15. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah we are lucky in that respect. But last year it was Raining!!! So very few fireworks went off!

16. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great pix, mate - I was still living in Vaucluse when we had that storm a few years ago that tore the hell out of the Eastern Suburbs. Took the bus home from Martin Place and by the time we got to Edgecliff station (the bus part up top) the hail had broken all of that green corrugated roofing and it looked like shattered wine bottles covering the whole ground. We kept a couple of hailstones in the freezer for a while - size of a cricket ball.

I had an e-mail from my mate in Chatswood that it was hailing, but he was in Perth at the time so didn't realize it was quite so dramatic this time around.

Cheers
    Kevin

17. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah by god do i remember that storm, Kev.
    Put it this way:
    Brand New BMW 328i (My mums), got wrote off in that storm.
    She was living in Bundeena (dont know if you know where that is), and the hailstones very so big, that they smashed the Cat-Eyes of the road!

18. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yep, down by the National Park. Big kerfuffle after about the weather guys not being able to give more warning about the storm, etc. Plus the scammers after going out with socks full of golf balls and whacking their cars trying to get compensation...

I was still on the bus coming out of Edgecliff station and there were cars just pulling up on to the footpath on New South Head Road trying to get under the awnings - I remember seeing an E-class Merc with the rear window broken out and the windscreen smashed up pulled up on the footpath and I was sh!tt!ng myself because my Jeep Cherokee was sitting outside. Got lucky with the Jeep as it is all windows...

Cheers
    Kevin

19. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    do people there know how to drive in snow????

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    NO ... we never have to, so why should we? ;)

I've only driven on icy roads once really ... and that was exciting.

Pete

21. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    WOW! Thats freaking nuts for Sydney, but nice pictures!! Its amazing to see the forces of mother nature- lightning, snow/hail, the hurricanes that are destroying Florida, ect.

22. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    DRs, Pete is right, there is no need to learn how to drive in the snow. Only the people that frequent the snowfields down south could possibly have some clue.

ddem3:
    I dont think that there is a more powerful physical force than our own Mother Nature! Its awesome!