512 BB choke | FerrariChat

512 BB choke

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Higgins23, Sep 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    When I purchased my 512 BB I was strongly advised against ever touching the Choke. Does anyone ever use it ?

2. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I use my choke or the car wont start when cold, I quickly shut it off as soon as it starts and it will run without it.

The choke can cause plug fouling and as carb cars are fire prone increase chances of fire with the flooding of fuel in the carbs

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    On a properly tuned car, the choke will simply not be needed unless temperatures are well below freezing.

If you chose to use it, you will simply be running over rich, risking plug fouling.

If anything, the fast idle device can be used, but this too is only needed for a minimum of time, and is usually best left de-adjusted out of operation, as it runs off of oil temperature and will come on far too early when re-starting it mid-temperatures, causing an excessively fast idle.

I've not done it, but I think a good mod would be to rewire the fast idle solenoid to operate from the choke switch, and simply disconnect the choke solenoids and oil sensor for fast idle.

4. Lsand007

Lsand007 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Lee Sanders
    I never use mine.