Goodwood Revival---------- | FerrariChat

Goodwood Revival----------

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Aug 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I'll be going Saturday with Joe. Hope to see a few others down there.

2. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    ....And I'm going on Sunday. Anyone else?

3. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I ll be there Sunday

4. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Are you driving down in the Dino on Sunday?

5. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I dont know yet, I am taking the family and so am trying to find seats for two of them so I can take it! There will be a convoy of 4 or 5 cars going, you are welcome to join us Stig, if you would like.

6. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Well I'm going in my car, in the company of a couple of Caterhams, so maybe. I'll check what my passenger's intentions are and we'll talk at the end of the week...

7. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    My wife and I will be going on Sunday, we have seats in Lavant corner grandstand. Just have to sort out something suitable to wear!

Steve

8. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #8 tomw, Sep 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  10. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Did you go Fancy dress Steve???

I can just see you in those outfits lol.....Give my regards to Clive ...NOT!!!

11. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Me and a friend went in dinner jackets today and felt very overdressed :eek:

12. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Clive really came up trumps Joe. He wasn't there today so left his drivers tags for Sue and I (Rolex Goodwood 2004 drivers club). We had a free run of the paddock, pits, and all the driver's areas. We had breakfast, lunch and tea in the company of Stirling Moss, Tiff Needell, Tony Jardine, etc. etc. (can't resist a good name drop). What a fantastic day!!

I even got to sit in a 330LM.

Sue has some pics which I'll try to post tomorrow.

Oh, and yes I did dress up... luckily. It was obligatory in the Rolex club!

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Steve,
    was it Hardman's car, number 17?

14. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    No Tony, it was Juan Barazi's 250 LM. Definitely not designed for someone of my height and impossible to look cool getting in and out of! A beautiful car though. This car and the 246S Dino which he owns and raced on Saturday, Clive's 250SWB, and couple of others are looked after by the guys from DK Engineering.

I did see Peter Hardman drive the 330 LM.

It's amazing how the same owner names crop up again and again. Anthony Bamford (JCB digger fame) must have one amazing collection, with 2 x 250 GTOs, a 375MM, a 196S Dino and a GT40 all entered.

Sue's camera can't seem to talk to my pc at the moment so the pics will have to wait until I get them on disc.

Steve

15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Steve,
    how did Hardman fare y'day? I looked at Goodwood website for results to races but couldn't see any info.

16. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I'm not sure of his place, but it was outside the top 3. In his race, the RAC TT Celebration, it was 1. ISO Bizarrini, 2. AC Cobra, 3.Lister Jaguar.

For a F-car fan it was disappointing to see many of our icons (3 x 250GTOs, 2 x SWBs, 2 x 330LMs were on the grid) being slaughtered by the Jaguars in particular. Two of the Jaguars made about 10 seconds on the fastest F-car in the first lap alone! Or maybe it's just the £5M price tag that's holding the driver back?

17. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Peter explained that the Listers and Shelby Cobra's had so much more HP than the Ferraris; the 330LM has "only" 280BHP compared to the Lister and Cobra's 380 BHP +. He was desperate for a good start as he couldn't catch them or pass for very long on the straights. The Ferrari's were v quick on the relatively short and twisty Goodwood track but lacked the extra grunt.

18. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The winning Iso was featured in Octane last year. It apparently makes around 400+ BHP now. When it was new it made around 300. Ferrari's will always suffer in historic racing as any development work destroys the originality and as a result the value.

19. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    You just reminded me of something. As you know the paddock is fairly busy and there's lots of 'faces' wandering around and most people just ignore them. Even Jackie Stewart dressed in his tartan clown suit only raised a couple of eyebrows so when I did see a small crowd of people around an elderly man sitting under one of the paddock canopies I went to investigate. It turned out to be Carroll Shelby. I now he's not such a big name over here but In the US he is a genuine icon. Seemed a really nice guy when a tv crew turned up and he did an impromtu interview.