[DFW FCA] Fall Rally -- need input! | FerrariChat

[DFW FCA] Fall Rally -- need input!

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GrigioGuy, Sep 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Greetings.

The Fall Rally is coming soon. This is going to be more of a pure driving event than the Poker Run. I want to make sure people enjoy this event, so your input is desired while we can still modify the route and agenda.

I've just spent the past 2 days driving around north Texas , looking for interesting roads. There don't seem to be many. Lots of little twisty county roads, but they're all gravel, and so unacceptable. Lots of moderately interesting FM roads, but after a while they all start to look alike: 2 lanes of asphalt with farmland on either side. FM 455 is kinda neat going across the dam, and 677 north of St. Jo has an interesting downhill section that will catch your attention, and 407 west of I35W has a few interesting curves.

What roads would you all suggest? Give me the ones you find the most interesting, and I'll make a point of trying them out.

Also, right now I'm thinking that a casual lunch experience makes the most sense after sitting in cars for a few hours. Would anyone be terrribly disappointed if we didn't end up at a fancy place?

I'd like your thoughts, either here, or via PM, or by email at [email protected]

Thanks
    Tillman

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Mike Kuhn had a route heading North, and ending up around Gainesville as I recall. You might inquire of him. I wonder what the roads are leak East of the Metro area when you get closer to hilly parts of the state?

3. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My father is currently building an Italian restaurant in Bartonville. I went out to that area for the first time about a month ago & it was indeed beautiful. A rally out in that area would be something you guys would really enjoy!!

4. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    Tillman,

Fancy dining or casual lunch either way is fine. I agree with the no gravel roads too.

Nick

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I personally don't care fancy or not, as long as cars are attended.

Thanks, Tillman, for coordinating this event. I don't know what makes roads interesting to drive, but view-wise, FM road to Ennis, or White Bluff/Cliff was pretty good. It takes 45-90 minutes 1 way though.

6. mdlacroix

mdlacroix Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Tillman, I second the thanks message for setting up these rallyes. I went on the Shelby Clubs drive to Shelby's ranch in Pittsburg, TX, and found there are some very nice roads out east. I would also support ending at some small local flavor place rather than some fancy, chain restaurant. No gravel is a VERY good thing! Mark

7. Flywater

Flywater Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    Fort Worth, Tx
    We are very lucky to have a track in our backyard - in Cresson. A stopover/rest break would be nice, with a run or two on the track, if possible- if the driving tour comes to this side of the Metro area.
    There is a great reference book - Ride Texas (a motorcycle tour book) - by Miguel & Val Asensio. One of the rides has moderate twisties and is "the closest to the Hill Country" in this area. The roads around the Glen Rose/Bluff Dale/Lipan area are quite nice.
    If the ride takes us to The Texoma Lake area, I could help out by maybe getting the Texoma Sailing Club to lend us the club house for rest-stop/refreshment break.
    Let me know if this is of any help.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We did the MSR thing at last years Poker Run. The only parts of town we haven't been yet are NW of FW and East of Dallas.

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    The Cedar Hill area is pretty hilly... I've always wondered if there's some nice roads back through there. I suppose Austin is too far! ;)

My other suggestion is that GREAT photo stops can be fun... I don't mean some parking lot next to something pretty... I mean a reserved spot where our cars can be photographed with a great back drop... making for some fantastic digital souveniers. Unfortunately, don't really have any great suggestions. I know there's some cool photo spots, if you can get management to agree to let us assemble our cars there. Like the Dallas Arboretum... FW Zoo... some of the lakes... not sure... but that can be a nice addition to a rally.

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I lived in Cedar Hill for about 2 years, not many twisting, winding roads that will excite you. Just some scenic drives by the lake.

11. Flywater

Flywater Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I agree a great idea would be a photo op stop for the cars, I always bring the camera- but rarely use it - too busy driving!! - (which isn't a bad thing).

The short ride done by the Jerry - of the Italian Car Fest - this year was nice, we went on some back roads by many HUGE houses/horse arenas. It was short but nice.