OT: Murci plate, is this from UK??? | FerrariChat

OT: Murci plate, is this from UK???

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Garretto, Sep 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    #1 Garretto, Sep 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mates I need a quick help here ;)

Thing is that I spotted this awesome blue Murci last week in Marbella (Spain) with plates "LAL 686", as you can see. What you cannot see but I tell you is the three tiny letters under "686" which were "KSA" (that is international country code for "Kingdom of Saudi Arabia").

Now, the characters themselves do look like british plates, however the rear plate is not black characters over yellow background but over white background. I think rear UK plates are always black over yellow, right?

Also, there's no other country code visible in the car (no "GB", "GBZ", "SCO"... anything). Now my opinion is that there is a possibility that these are simply Saudi Arab plates. Yes, one valid format in SA is three letters-three numbers, sometimes in arab characters, sometimes in christian characters, with a variety of character/background colour combos.

Is there any kind of british plates like temporary, dealer, etc that could fit?

My hypothesis is that an Arab citizen living in the UK might have had his Arab reg plates made in the UK. Thus the UK looks in them.

If any of you could throw any light here I'd be very grateful... There's a guy in a Spanish forum that keeps saying it's 100% British plate (and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know much about UK plates) and he's driving me mad... :(

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Have checked and this does not appear to be a UK reg.

3. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Hi matkat, thanks! please where did you check? Can you give me a link? What results did you get?
    Looks like I'll be right...¿? ;)

4. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    http://carwatch.co.uk/

The reg.does not appear here nor on the www.dvla.co.uk site,to be honest this is not entirely 100% but current registrations do appear in carwatch.
    good luck.
    Dave Mvc

5. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nevermind the plate...

what the f*ck has happened to that Murcie?!?!?!

...interesting... sense of style

6. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    You pay Your £££££ and You get what You want,but must agree interesting!!!!

7. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Suprisingly, none of the links to carwatch or dvla seem to be working... ¿?¿?

Yes, that was a very interesting Murci, with some light aerodynamic add-ons front&rear, a big wing and the 4 pipe exhaust you can see.

Anymore clues on the plates? Can you have a white background UK plate on demand (legally)? What is your guess on this issue?

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
  9. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Judging by the body-styling 'enhancements' I would guess the plate (and the car) is of Middle of Far Eastern origin, probably the former.

Robert.

10. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Astonishing what you can find in Carwatch... I've searched for plates I remember of british registered Ferraris and it works! Do they get the info from the Administration or also from spots, etc?

11. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    That car may not actually be registered to that plate in the UK - meaning it is a plate from some other country - but for sure LAL 686 is a valid UK number plate.

From www.newreg.com (click on "fina a reg" and scroll down to the "was it issued" box at the bottom):

"LAL 686 - When was it Issued?
    This registration was first made available in 1949.The original office for this letter combination is Nottinghamshire C.C.

If you want New Reg to try to acquire LAL 686 for you Click Here.
    If you are the owner of the registration mark LAL 686 please Click Here.

The above information is for reference purposes only and does not mean that LAL 686 may be purchased. "

The guy in the Spanish forum is right...

Ric.

12. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Never said other than that. Sure LAL686 is a valid UK reg (which doesn't mean it is not valid in othe countries, but I'm more concerned about the white background in the rear plate. Is that possible/legal? Any kind of dealer, abroad, temporary plates?

13. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    Ah, I see. Black on white is definitely not valid in the UK for a rear number plate.

14. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Yes, that was my initial guess, from (Kingdom of) Saudi Arabia according to the small "KSA" featured on the plate.

Thank you all for your help!

15. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    That exhaust looks dreadful. Whats all that grafitti on the back? Dreadful

16. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Class! I just checked a few plates of old cars I had owned and then a few plates that I would like to own.

I checked a deccent F'car plate - FER1 what do you think that was on?

A Rover Metro...... AUTO!! Brilliant.

17. Maseroche

Maseroche Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Khalid
    The plates do have a UK look to them but they are, in fact, not. This car is probably registered in KSA, and the owner changed over to these because KSA number plates are in Arabic. It is quite a commen practise but most go for the French style.
    KSA plates have a three letter/three number sequence, someone mentioned that and he was right.
    That exhaust is probably made by Konig. I have seen another Murci with the same exhaust and it is LOUD.