Cross reference for 328 coolant cap? | FerrariChat

Cross reference for 328 coolant cap?

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrigioGuy, Sep 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Does anyone happen to know a cross-reference part to replace the coolant cap on a 328. I need to find something that the local auto store might be able to get in a hurry. I did check the archives and didn't find anything.

Thanks
    Tillman

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    A cap for the 308 is Stant 11229. This is a 0.9 bar cap. There was much discussion before about 0.9 bar vs. 1.1 bar pressure caps, I think they went to 1.1 bar for later 308s, so I expect your 328 would be 1.1 as well. So far I'm not giving you anything useful, BUT this one says "also fits Stant 10229 applications." So that might be the 1.1 bar model. It's worth a shot, it'll say 16 psi or so right on the back of the package.
    I don't like the fit of this one as much as the original, but the lack of a rust hole is great! :D

3. meloyelo

meloyelo Karting

May 20, 2002
    Houston Texas
    Anyone know the Stant part number for the Lev-R-Vent cap for the 328? Stant shows two at 13 psi (close to the 12.8 the manual refers to). One is 10327 or 11327 and the other is 10329 or 11329.

Thanks

my
    1989 328

4. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Look at the 308 cross reference sticky thread. The stant cap can be found at Napa.

5. meloyelo

meloyelo Karting

May 20, 2002
    Houston Texas
    I looked in the cross ref thread and it does list the part number for the regular cap, but some are saying the LEV R Cap is better. I went to Pep Boys this afternoon and bought the regular one - part 11229. It is 13 PSI and fit very good. They did not have the LEV R model for 13 PSI and I did not want to get the higher PSI models.

I will test it out this weekend and see how it does and post back my results.

Thanks

my

6. meloyelo

meloyelo Karting

May 20, 2002
    Houston Texas
    OK - I used Stant #11229 on my 1989 328 - the regular cap - not the LEV-R cap. $5.99 at Pep Boys.

It is rated at 13 PSI. I put it on this evening and let the car run for 20 minutes or so in the garage (man I am sleepy).....

Anyway, it worked ok. No overflow. So I took it out for a spin and ran it for 30 minutes or so and pulled back in the garage and parked it. No overflow at all. Temp stayed where it always has.

One minor problem... The cap says "Assembled in Mexico".

I guess better than China.

I hear the OEM part is $40 or so, and really is not that great.

my

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The $30 cap from Ferrari will fail a pressure test after 1 year in use. I have been using Stants for years on customer cars. If they want to show it I throw the OE cap in the trunk.

The Lever Vent caps dont say Hecho in Mexico, or at least you can't see it so well.