Dehumidifiers | FerrariChat

Dehumidifiers

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CharlieUK, Sep 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Over winter, does anyone here use a dehumidifier in their garage? If so, what make and where buy from?

2. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

C..I got mine in Argos 65quid m8, it great........

3. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Charlie

If you really want to protect your car properly,put it in a Carcoon.
    Little on the expensive side,but well worth it.

Steve

4. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    Got mine from Argos too, I think it was £80. My garage is too small for a carcoon.

5. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Mines a Mitsubishi ZXGT4WD4WS Super Duper Deluxe Sports Turbo Model, Got mine from Comet - £??

Seb

6. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    2 x dehumidifiers, 1 got given, other from argos and a carcoon. (I don,t use towels anymore just stand in the garage.)

7. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    I use a dehumidifier.....EBAC from Comet but i visited the Carcoon stand at Goodwood and it looks well worth the money...ABOUT £300 I THINK....depending on the size of your car! It looked a bit of a faff though if you actually wanted to get into the thing, for example if you wanted to turn the engine over now and again.

8. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Thanks Steve. How can I get hold of Carcoon - phone no? website?

9. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
  10. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Interesting thread.......

Where I am in Maryland, usually winters are dry and you need humidifiers to keep wood and things from becoming to dry and cracking. I've reviewed the carcoon and I don't see how this has any humidification / dehumidification or heat / cooling properties. Is there some attachment? Does this work well? I assume you must deflate the Carcoon to get the car out.

11. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    I gather that the Carcoon keeps the air at a constant temperature thus not exposing the bodywork to the extreme temperatures during day and night that we get over here in the uk......but it also keeps it free from dust so the car comes out as shiny as it went in.
    And yes youll obviously need to reinflate the Carcoon if you open it up for any reason.
    Its a good investment for the winter months!

12. Uonlyhave2seats

Uonlyhave2seats Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    South East, UK
    Full Name:
    Tone
    And dont forget the water from the dehumidifier is perfect for washing the car.

13. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Demumidifers work by removing the moisture/condensation from the atmosphere.As we all know the biggest problem when storing a car for a period of time is condensation.This can not only form where you can see,but also where you can't see(ie in all the box sections etc).
    Condensation can only form in a still atmosphere,the Carcoon works by air movement.The fans of the Carcoon not only keep the unit inflated but also keep the air moving inside,therefore no condensation can form.

As Bertone says,it also keeps the car free from dust,you don't get any of those damp mouldy smells.Protects the car from those little accidents that happen in the garage.

It takes about 1 minute if that to get the car in and out of the Carcoon.I have mine suspended from the garage roof,and just fold it ontop of itself.

Charlie

I am actually a Carcoon dealer,so I could supply you one.
    I will post a price later(if that is allowed)or I can pm you.

Steve

14. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Leeds UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Steve, Can you quote me for a Carcoon for my 348TS please. Also if the car is wet, can it be placed in the Carcoon in this state or is it better to dry the car first? On the odd occasion Ive been caught out in the rain ive been lucky that its stopped before getting home and the car has been dry to put away, as the garage is carpeted and dehumidified, but Im worried one of these days that Ill get caught in the rain and I dont want to be putting the car in the garage and the carpet getting soaking.....worse thing to create damp!!

Thanks. PM me if you wish.

15. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    steve you have pm

16. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Stephen & Dave

you have a pm

17. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Steve,
    i've pm'd you too. By all means post prices but pls keep details of any biz transacted to PM's.

18. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    they are so good even micheal jackson has one to live in?????

19. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Heeeeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,,,,,,,,,Sharrmone Mother F@cker!!!!!!!

What that MJ??? Steve..

20. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Steve whats the running costs?? Any idea watts of motor etc etc?? :)

21. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
  22. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    The only thing that put me off carcoons is the thought of keeping the car in a huge great condom. It means you can't just pop out in the garage and mess with the car or polish bits when you have a spare half hour. The principle sounds fine otherwise.

Steve

23. Uonlyhave2seats

Uonlyhave2seats Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    South East, UK
    Full Name:
    Tone
    I also was not convinced about carcoon so I found the AirChamber (from Airflow UK), I liked it as there was no risk of scratching the paintwork and it was easy to get the car in and out. You can also polish the car inside it! Highly recommended.

Joe, the running costs are nothing, the fans are same as those used in some computers.

24. bazzis

bazzis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sarratt, Herts
    I use a dehumidifier, sited close to the car, then cover whole lot with a very fine plastic cover, same stuff as used by sprayshops to keep spraydust off parked cars. This has worked fine for many years, only problem, cant keep plastic cover on when car is still warm!! just floats up to garage roof!