Alternator repairs - 348 and others | FerrariChat

Alternator repairs - 348 and others

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jkuk, Sep 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K
    Just had my 348 alternator re-built (Nippon-denso type) - £95.

Just passing on the knowledge. - www.nippon-dis.co.uk.
    Located in Sutton Coldfield - Midlands.

Apparently these can fail if they get oil leaks dripping on them (what - a leaking Ferrari - never.).

Cheers

John

2. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Leeds UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for posting that. You must be nearly there now getting the car sorted, I think by the time you have finished you will have replaced all the major components.

Are you going to see-red?

3. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K
    Hi Dave,

It certainly feels like I have replaced everything.

Once I get the a/c working the car's perfect - but I will leave that for a while.

I may be off to 'see red' on the Sunday, it depends if previous committments fall through - hopefully

cheers

4. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem

That's a decent price depending on what they fixed and how they did it. If oil dripped into it, the chances are that the brushes wore out very quickly, so it shouldn't have taken to much to repair it (new brush box assy).

For reference, if anyone wants a replacement F355 alternator from this company, the part number is 101211-7540. I know this, cos my boss and I designed it! I think I mentioned it on the tech forum a little while ago, but in case anyone missed it, if you have any starter / alternator queries I may be able to give advice but don't expect too much!

5. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    these can always fail...for any reason, had mine repaired for the fifth time now in 5 years! that means be stranded somewhere in the woods, trying to get back to civilization before the battery is empty :)

6. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K

7. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Sounds fair enough to me! They are correct that anything that gets in there, be it water or oil, does act as a grinding paste and destroys the brushes. About £3 worth of bits, but given labour time and the fact they need to make some money, you can't grumble.

I'm trying to find a source for at least the brush boxes (other than pulling in favours from my colleagues in Japan!), because that type of alternator is so easy to repair once you have the parts.