Does this mean the valve guide problem was corrected ? | FerrariChat

Does this mean the valve guide problem was corrected ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by steveinct, Aug 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steveinct

steveinct Rookie

Mar 26, 2004
    Connecticut, USA
    Sorry for the, perhaps, stupid question from the very mechanically challenged!

I'm closing the deal on a 1997 355 Spyder that looks to be very well taken care of. One owner (21k miles), and it looks as if the following was done:

300 miles and 6 months ago, it had a new exhaust manifold. The parts list was for a "Header SX" @$3337.49 and a few gaskets. The description says that the manifold was replaced. Addittionally, it got a new clutch, throw out bearing, battery, and catalytic converter.

6000 miles (14,502 on the odometer) and 4 years ago it had its last "major" with all belts etc. At that time, a compression/leak down test was done. The right bank cylinder head was leaking down at 2 cylinders. The correction included parts for 8 exhaust valves, 20 valve/seals, 1 head gasket, and some other various gaskets and o-rings.

Does this mean the "valve guide" issue can be laid to rest on this car ? And...from what I can tell, the valve guides, headers, and exhaust are the weak points on this model. I'm kind of hoping that ALL of these issues are already "solved" on this car, with a new clutch as gravy...am I on track here?

thanks in advance!
    Steve

2. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Steve,

it looks like the valve guides were done only on that bank. Your PPI should inlude another leak down/compresion test to confirm consistent readings.

Mario

P.S. Do you mind telling either here or in confidence via private message how much the car is? I'm going to be putting mine on the market in a couple of weeks and I would like to know where other owners are. I have a 97 Carbon Black/tan spider with 18,000 miles, engine out service that is 4 months old, 2 new headers, new cats, new clutch throw out bearing and fly wheel, all covers, window sticker, tubi, spacers, 3M stone gaurd on wheel wells. new dash, no a/c cover bubbling, original leather with no dye work and every receipt since day one.

3. Lrob

Lrob Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    Full Name:
    Larry Roberts
    I am also considering a F355 and was also wondering how many miles before the valve guides and exhaust manifold must be replaced?
    I read that these are the main problems with the F355. Does anyone else concur?
    Larry

4. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Steve,

I just saw your other post. I believe this is the red/tan e-bay car. I looks like the dash has shrinkage and the a/c panel is bubbled. Keep these in mind. also, the engine out 30K with timing belts and cam seals does not appear to have done...the belts they allude to does not specify this. The receipt for this service alone should be over $6,000 from a dealer. My service was over $6,800 and my receipt from Ferrari of San Francisco.

5. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Was this valve guide and header problem only on the early model F355?? Is there a model year where this was no longer an issue?

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Mario did you have your Valve Guides replaced? What are you going to get if you sell the 355?

7. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I have a 97 that has had the valve guides replaced. It was a major job costing in the area of $15K. There seems to be some debate but the only sure year with the upgraded valve guides is 99. I'm told that most cars can go between 25 and 40K miles before needing the guides replaced. However, to be safe, plan to get it done sometime in the future if it hasn't been done. BTW: the 355 is an awesome car! I love mine. These cars are somewhat expensive to maintain but consider it the "price of admission!" You need to pay to play but the return is worth the price.

P.S. Mario: Your selling? How can that be? What's next a 360?

8. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

Thank you for the reply. If the vehicle has not had them done, is it pretty much a standard $15,000 you should figure in, or is that cost only after they fail and you have to rebuild?

9. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    This is correct. The valve guide problem only affected '95s, and anly those cars that were not broken in properly.

10. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Pretty sure the issue ran all the way up to late 98. Figure in $10-15K for a rebuild sometime as the mileage gets into the 40K's. Not always the case but better to be prepared than caught off guard.