I just drove the new C6 Corvette...... | FerrariChat

I just drove the new C6 Corvette......

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by kizdan, Sep 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I have to say that I was very impressed with the car. It is still the king of bang-for-the-buck.

The power is typical Corvette power, that is to say, loads of torque down low, which makes it very useable in city driving. It is fast as hell, and doesn't feel like it is working all that hard to be that fast. The clutch is surprisingly light, and the shift throws are short. Your arm can comfortably rest on the center console while shifting. Steering is very accurate, although it lacks slightly in feedback. Handling is amazing.

The interior sound level is improved over the Z06, as is interior quality overall. Although the materials used are better than the outgoing version, they still do not even come close to approaching to something like a Ferrari - but then again, for the money, can you expect it to?

It had the heads-up display (HUD), and on one of the screens that you can choose for the HUD, it had a g-force reading - very cool! This one also had the new navigation system with a touch screen display. Very easy to use, very intuitive. You can use it without opening up the manual. It is also DVD-based, something that all nav systems should be. Also, you leave the keys in your pocket - as long as they are with you, the car will unlock as you approach it, and start up as well.

For anybody who wants maximum bang for the buck, and doesn't mind that there there will be a ton of them on the road, this is the car to have.

2. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Some good points. I did finally check one out the other day at a near by dealership for the first time in person. Didnt drive it but just got to view it in person for the first time. Im still not sure about the front end but from the side and back I like it. I wish they would paint the A pillar? as well. I dont like that it looks like plastic running up the corners of the windows. Overall its a nice improvement from what i hear and can see, just not to crazy about the front end.

3. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    thanks dan, a great review....did the car feel smaller and more tossable than the old c5?

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    The real question I have is with the engine. I had a 'vette and the engine would "breakdown" at higher rpms. I've driven several with the same issue. I don't remember the rpm as it was awhile ago, but it was prob. 500 - 1K before red line. I've shyed away from vettes since. FYI - We are talking '87, '94, '00... approx.)

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Eric, varying year to year, I believe the peak was just a bit before redline, so if it was a dip in power, that would be right on. Few motors out there today actually peak at the top. Or, are you referring to something else? A large dip in power?

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I would say a dip in power is acurate. Though, what I recall is a sound from the engine. Like I said this was awhile ago, so I'm going from memory. I would guess a sound like valves knocking. Probably not, but it's the best way to describe the sound.

7. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, for 50K you should get an interior quality that is far better than a cavalier... Granted, the new vette does have a nicer interior, but it is not that much nicer and still a long way behind the competition IMO.

8. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    In all honesty, it did not feel smaller, but it did feel a little more tossable. (I saw 0.82 on the g-meter!) The C5 is a great handling car, and this one is a touch better. You aren't going to make leaps and bounds improvements over a C5. I remember reading when the C5 came out, due to it's hydroformed frame, it was 450% more structurally solid than the C4. 450%! So the C5 is only slightly improved in that area.

I am anxious to drive the ragtop. I also remember reading that when the C5 Convertible came out, it was more structurally rigid than a Mercedes SL - needless to say - I was very impressed.

9. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I guess my question is; what is the competition? I would buy a Vette for the amount of performance you get for your dollar - what other car even comes close to its performance in that price range? Also, I'd rather have more performance, and trade off the luxury for my money.

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    thanks again dan, i cant wait to drive on myself....when might you be giving a review of the 430?..hint, hint...

11. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    It looks better in person that in pictures. In fact it looks REAL good.
    There is much more to the shape than shows up in the mags. I love it. Great job GM

In Europe, the Corvette and Viper are well-respected and lusted after by some of my buds. Whatever is exotic is the cool **** I guess.

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    ASAP!