Extreme bike wobble | FerrariChat

Extreme bike wobble

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Ershank, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
  2. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    i think that's called a tank slapper. Ways to prevent it are getting a steering damper. Bumps in the road can cause it.

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I believe that was at the Isle of Mann TT. Definitley an OH SH*# moment.

4. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    I wonder how easy it is to slap a steering damper onto a ZX-10r...

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    It's easy. Cheap ones are $100. Good ones $200. Fancy ones $300.

6. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    From what I understand there are several things that can cause it and several more to counter act it. The cause and remedy that I tend to believe in are when the front end gets light and then tries to find traction. I have read that you need to stay on the throttle and ease off of it slowly. Having never experienced a tank slapper myself I have no real frame of reference, however, I do think that once it starts to go lock to lock your best bet is a quick prayer and hope your nurse is cute.

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Front gets light, wheel lifts slightly, touches back down in a slight tangent to the line of travel causing a sudden jerk in the opposite direction, followed by a similar, and maybe bigger movement to the other side ended by slowly coming off throttle and allowing the clip ons some leeway, i.e. no death grip, or alternatively, you can end it as shown in the vid.

Hard to imagine someone in the TT without a damper, likely just dialed down too far for quicker response through the tight stuff.

8. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    So the point of this is.... make sure when you're accelerating hard, to bring that front end down carefully...? Would a steering damper help you in that situation?

And the best thing to do would be to stay loose and let off the thottle?

Thanks

9. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    The incident was most certainly at the Isle of man TT.
    The guy involved is a big mate of mine, Paul (Orrible) Orritt.... he stays with us, when visiting the island (he obviously, no longer races)
    He sufferred multiple fractures and lost a finger. He has fully recovered over the last four years, but the stomach has expanded somewhat.
    The incident in the film was only a mile from the start, and despite travelling downhill, one is still accellerating at that point... we think he hit a bump in the road which eventually caused the horrendous tank slapper. Full credit to the marshall who went immediately to pauls' assistance

I shall let him know of his fans in the USA.
    regards, david.....isle of man

10. lamar

lamar Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2004
    montpellier/france
    hello david
    i am a big fan of this race and i almost saw your friend's accident live on eurosport and always wondered how this guy was and i am really happy to learn that he is now ok
    my best wishes to him and maybe i will meet you when i go to see the races one of these days
    herve

11. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Glad to hear he is okay. I try to catch the TT highlights on Speed each year. When I saw this clip a few years ago, it looked as though it could have been fatal.

12. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Damper would help if it's not let all the way out. I bet its hard to deal with a tight damper on such a varied road course as the TT so I bet they let them out. Just guessing. Anyone with personal experience on the TT?

Off throttle VERY gently.

13. ART360

ART360 Guest

Tank slappers are usually caused by the front end getting light, then coming back down, slightly off the direction of travel. Solution: pick the front end up off the road, i.e., get on the gas, pull on the bars, seem counter intitutive, but it works. Used to be a problem at Laguna, turn 1 is on the front straight away and is off camber, etc. Solution, wheelie until you need to brake for turn 2.

This poor guy fell in the worst place at the TT. I was there with Ducati in 88, and sure didn't like it.

Art

14. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I agree, see post #7. Only prob is when you get a slapper started usually you are running out of road.

Art, how is your recovery going? ribs are hurtin' things!!

15. ART360

ART360 Guest

I'm going to practice on the cart tomorrow, that'll tell me how well they've healed.

Art

16. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    Thanks guys for the comments re paul.....i shall print the thread and send it off to him.
    Dampers are a necessity here.....the top boys have an adjustable unit, controlled from the bar grips.....the poor boys have to set for an 'average' throughout the course, similar to suspension settings.
    Anybody ever visiting the TT ???, then you must give us a shout for at least a beer.
    cheers for now, david

17. ART360

ART360 Guest

Dave:

Will be there in 07. I'll drop you a line then. Bringing the plane over, so we won't have to ride the packet.

Art

18. SteveNSX

SteveNSX Rookie

Jun 18, 2004
    Steering dampner will slow but will not prevent a tank slapper.
    You don't panic and put forward pressure on the bars. I have
    had such violent slappers on the track in which the force caused
    the brakes calipers to be compressed to the point I did not have
    brakes until I gave them a quick pump. Lightweight, high hp short
    wheelbase bikes are most prone. The late 90's GSXR 600's were
    notorious!!

19. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S