Cost for valve adjustment on a 78' 308GTS | FerrariChat

Cost for valve adjustment on a 78' 308GTS

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Darolls, Sep 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I'm doing some research for a friend, and wonder if anyone has had just a valve adjustment done at a dealer.

If so, I'd like to know what the cost was, and how many hours of labour were charged.

I'm in the Chicagoland area.

Thanks in advance!

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Anyone???

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No hard data myself on this, but IMO it would be very rare to have just this particular service done so it would normally get wrapped into a larger "service" so the incremental cost is (or should be) less than doing it separately -- e.g., the engine cover is already off (if necessary) and the camcovers are already off for other reasons.

Just a swag, but done completely separately ~6 hours might be the (charged, not actual) retail ballpark.

4. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    If you just want the valves adjusted and nothing else done, like belts, waterpump. It would probably run about $1500 by an independant shop.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Good shop should do it in 4 hours. Most of the time is removing and installing the various parts , engine cover , air cleaner and cam covers. The valve check is simple and if you need to adjust the clearance its just a case of measure and put the right shim in.

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Thanks to all who responded.

Any Ferrari mechanics that can give me a hint?

7. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    4 hours! I would love to watch that. Maybe just the rear bank, check AND adjust, done properly.

Brian

8. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Brian this is with a carb car. The actual time to measure each gap is about 15 minutes for each set of cams. So a 1/2 hour to do the gap and adjustments. If you need to change more then 4 shims then you'll have bigger issues. Also this assumes that you will have shims available . This being said the extra 3 1/2 hours are for reassem. of the car. I suspect that an FI car will take twice as long.

9. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Oh, I didn't realise that there would be no oil spill, parts to clean, gaskets to cut to fit, let alone putting on a lift removing associated parts etc. And who needs to run and leak check, clean off tools and eqipment.

FWIW, Ferrari book time, which is a joke, for this is 5.7 hours.