Weird S/N Problem | FerrariChat

Weird S/N Problem

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TigerAce, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I got a call from my insurance company last Tuesday, asking S/N for my 355. Told them my car is in the shop for repair, but should be back this week, at that time. Well, the car is not repaired yet, but the insurance company called again today.

The problem is that S/N I reported indicates it is not Ferrari, but '99 Fiat according to insurance database. They suspected I or the seller is doing something unordinary, especially changing spider to coupe in less than 2 months. They want to look at my car!!

Does anyone experience somthing like this?? If so, what could be happening here? Should I be concerned?

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    There may have been a mistake in interpreting the first couple of letters of the VIN. As you may know, "Z" is the country letter but the next two are for the manufacturers. "FD" is for Dino (although it really ceased to exist once the VIN was introduced, but was given anyways, maybe for legal or even copyright issues) and "FF" is for Ferrari. I don't know what the call-letters are for Fiat, but I can bet the insurance company is confusing it with it, whatever it may be (must be something very close to either FD or FF). Find out first what exact number they have recorded down for your car...

Of course you should be concerned. Good thing this is happening now, than to find out during a claim...

3. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    The first three digits of Ferrari are ZFF
    Z Italy Country of Origin
    F Ferrari identifies the marque
    F Ferrari identifies the manufacturer

The First three digits of Fiat are ZFA
    Z Italy Country of Origin
    F Fiat The marque
    A Fiat/Agnelli the manufacturer Since F was already used by Ferrari the next usualbe letter is substituted and since I is not used the next would be A

Hope this helps

Wade
    www.fortunemotors.com
    www.308qvregister.com

4. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    this happened with my car............I had allstate........the Ferrari VINS were'nt in their database, kept telling me it's a fiat.............Actually, I just let it go.................for the few years I had a couple of F Cars, I paid 450.00 per year for Full Coverage! :) Of course I never had a claim, but it was kind of cool......................p.s. my Insurance ID Cards said Ferrari on them with the VIN, so I was covered, I think in thier "main computer" the rates were just based on a fiat!

let us know how it turns out.

5. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    When I went to insure my car, my insurance agent indicated that they could not find my VIN in the 'database', and inquired if it was a US car. Since it is a US car, I told them so. They contacted Ferrari of North America to verify the VIN as well as the US car classification. That took care of it.

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Fastest Fiat I've ever ridden in! Call your agent, drag his butt down to LoD and show him your car and all the other Ferraris s/n's.

7. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    apparently my X1/9 is a "sedan"....

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Both my Ferraris required inspection by the agent at the time the policy was written.

This turned out to be VERY fortunate later, after an accident because the CLAIMS department said...."That lens was probably cracked before the event from age ..we aren't paying for that...or that....or that."

I went back to the original inspection report and put all those cracked lenses up that Claims Adjuster's a$$.........

If you total a "Fiat" they are gonna write you a check for a "Fiat".

9. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    The following link may provide some information that will help you ... you need to have some piece of paper with the vehicles VIN on it to check against this information.

http://www.ferrarimarketletter.com/articles/index.cfm?fa=ArticleView&id=2062&CFID=1109785&CFTOKEN=32061769

Keep us posted as to why the insurance co. identifies the vehicle as a Fiat

Best wishes

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Thats awesome

Ask them to find a 99 Fiat in the US and see what they say :D

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    TigerAce,

What insurance company are you using?
    I ask because I want to avoid 'em!
    :)

--Matt

12. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I think this matter is settled now (crossing fingers)

Ferrari's parent company is Fiat, isn't it or wasn't it? That maybe why. I told her I don't think Fiat was selling their car in USA in '99, and she agreed. Anyway, the last phone call I got, she (from insurance agency) settled it w/ insurance company. It is Great American, which will be Traveler's in Sept. '04.

Apparently, insurance database said Fiat, but further research indicated my S/N was surely Ferrari.

Wade, thank for your analysis. I did tell her that. How have you been? I see you sold that 512M I was eying on. Hope it find the happy home!

For others, thanks for sharing your experience & knowledge. Reading I'm not the only one who experienced this put me somehow at ease.

It was just strange experience...

13. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    they could just be a sponsor... :D

14. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004