Instrument housing replacement anyone done it ? | FerrariChat

Instrument housing replacement anyone done it ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, Sep 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    While changing dashboard light bulbs in my 328, the speedo housing dropped out, when I looked at it I saw that a piece of the white plastic housing flange had broken off and stuck in the black bezel ring. There are more cracks in the parts of the flange still attached. This plastic in the housing is very cheap and flimsy so not surprising it breaks. Is it possible to get just a replacement housing? anyone had this problem and figured out a fix for it ? Very frustating !!!

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Peajay,
    A while back I noticed that my speedo was acting funny. I took it out of the dash with the intention of sending it out to be fixed. When I did, I turned it upside down and the needle fell off the shaft. I then realized that the reason it was reading erratically was because the needle was not seated firmly on the shaft. So I took the front bezel off and popped the needle back on. Took 5 minutes. Then I noticed just what you noticed. These things are old, and the plastic flange that the bezel clamps down on was cracking all around. I used some epoxy to glue the flange back down overnight, then clamped it all back together the next day and re-installed in the car. No problems since. I'll bet that finding a housing would be next to impossible. Might be easier to find an entirely new speedo.

Birdman

3. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    When I had my 308GT4 speedo repaired the first time, they replaced the housing for $25 with one from a Fiat. Not sure if it is a Fiat tach housing that just happens to be the same or not. Most of the Fiats (All??) at that time were mechanical speedometers, that housing is quite different from pictures I have seen.

Gerrit