Unbelievable : 82 years old on a race track !!! | FerrariChat

Unbelievable : 82 years old on a race track !!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jack, Sep 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    #1 jack, Sep 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yesterday on a race track with other Maseratis I ran over this Mondial driven by an old lady. She explained to us she have 82 years old and she can reach 200 km/h at the end of the straight line ! (me 240 km/h) She drove not as fast as other drivers but she drove very well all the day without disturbing other drivers.
    I hope to reach the same age and to have the same capability and pleasure to drive a car !
    BRAVO !!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    At the Goodwood Revival race meeting last weekend, in the race for Brooklands (pre-WW2) cars was an original driver naned Tom Delaney................93 years old.

He raced when the Mercedes-Benz were racing the Auto-Unions, when Enzo Ferrari was still just a team manager, not a builder.

OK, he's not as fast as he used to be, but he actually turned his car over in a race a few weeks ago and got bruises..............and he is the oldest racing license holder.

Paul M

3. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I've forgotten all the details but a few years ago an 82 year old guy won the SCCA National Championship in Formula Atlantic. Way to go !

4. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Jack Hinkle was winning SCCA championships into his 70s at least driving A-Sports racers (Can Am cars).

5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    There is a man by the name of Eddie Smith that attends track events here in South Florida. He drives a 355 F1 Spider. He is approx. 85 years old!

6. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    What's the big deal? We have 80+ year olds doing 150 on the Dan Ryan Expressway every day.

Ken

7. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Dan Carmichael (sp) won an SCCA Formula Atlantic championship in 1996 I believe at age 77. He was still racing FA into his 80s. That is amazing... FA cars are one step down from Indy and the guys he was racing against are in their late teens or early 20s and looking for pro rides. He as a WWII Fighter pilot, still going at it!

On that note, both Bud Anderson and Chuck Yeager still fly P51s. They fly planes owned by others that are painted up exactly like their WWII aircraft, Glamorouse Glenn II and Old Crow. Both are well into their 80's and they still fly those planes like they were meant to be flown! I have met and chatted with both together... still best of friends and VERY sharp. Just dont make the mistake of referring to Anderson as Yeagers WWII wingman.... it was quite the opposite with Anderson the squadron commander and high scorer with 16.5 victories!

Terry

8. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    That's awesome. I hope to be that outgoing and able to truly enjoy life like that at that age.

9. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Paulie,

Eddie Smith, believe it or not, is in his 90s! To others that don't know him, Eddie is still the only original owner of (the dozen or so) 275 NART spider. He gets jazzed at hitting the apexes correctly at Sebring and Moroso!

KevFla

10. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Erik,
    Do you mean Jerry Hinkle ? He was still running a Lotus Super 7 in E Production 1n 1994 +. He may still be. I was usually in the same race group when I was running an A-H Sprite in F Production.

11. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Terry,
    Thanks for providing Dan's name. I had forgotten.

12. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Might be a relative. Jack Hinkle was an oilman/banker from Kansas who entered Indy cars in the early 50s and was racing SCCA Nationals in the early 1970s while in his 70s. He ran various Lola Can Am cars in A-sports racing if memory serves.

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    i think this is wonderful... I totally believe people die in a large part from not having a goal or a purpose, and driving can be great exercise too.

I hope to be one of those old dudes still putting around.

14. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Now I have a goal for the many more years (I hope) ahead of me.
    It's great to see that age isn't a factor to stay alert on a track.
    I'll report to you in 35 years and see if I'm still in a (softer) bucket...
    Roland
    F40LM

15. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    I agree, gives me something to look forward to in later years, instead of sitting around and playing bridge or bingo all the time.

16. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    thats awesome. i hope to be the same way when i grow old.

17. stac973

stac973 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Paul Barry
    That is fantastic...I hope we can all enjoy such a pleasure.

18. Jeru

Jeru Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Shawn
  19. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Some of you older Ferrari guys like may recall this guy--
    In the 80's there was an old fellow , Greenwood I think was his name, about 90 yrs old. He was a Hollywood make-up artist and had $$$$$.
    He got the newest Ferrari every year and built it out BIG TIME.
    Example--QUAD-turbo TR's
    He was a regular at Ferrari events but was a little crazy on the track--would pass you on the grass if he could.
    And ha always had these 2" thick fur seat covers---lol

20. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    There's this young guy, only 79 or so, named Paul Newman, who can still motor around a track at a good clip.

John