Opinion On K&N Twin Cone Filters On 91TR | FerrariChat

Opinion On K&N Twin Cone Filters On 91TR

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Shamile, Sep 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I have a US 91 Testarossa with a K & N filter replacing the stock filter in the black metal housing.

I was wondering....can I put two K&N long cone filters directly to the intake boots? I am not expecting any gain but just want to get rid of the bulky intake box and heat shield over the muffler.

I notice on the 512 TR, the muffler does not use a heat shield. I know the air comes in from a different direction though.

Any thoughts on problems? I really don't think so myself....but I could be wrong. :)

Shamile

PS.

Supporting the cone filters would not be a problem as I'm in manufacturing and we have aluminum tig welding capability.

2. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    You should keep the factory air boxes and use replacement K&N filter elements or BMC elements. The air box insulates the incoming air from heat and helps clean up the air turbulance before it passes to the MAF's.If incoming air is too hot,it cause a lean condition at high speed,which will result in high combustion temps and engine knock.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Agreed. Keep air temp to an absolute min wherever possible...and the slight ram air effect of the side pod entry TR airbox over the TRossa engine lid intake is not negligable either...

4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Thanks for your responces. I guess the big box stays....oh well.

Shamile