328 constant air in radiator. | FerrariChat

328 constant air in radiator.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mantinger, Sep 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mantinger

Mantinger Karting

Jul 30, 2004
    Netherlands, Drenthe
    Full Name:
    H
    After driving 50 mls. air gets trapped in my 328 radiator. When driving theres no temperature-problem. On idle: temp builds up to 105/110 degrees C. Coolant poors out under filler cap, so its not an faulty reading. I noticed that only one radiator fan is working so there is probably a electrical problem (bad fuse ore relais. OK.
    Whats bothering me is that I need to bleed my radiator every day after 100 mls. Air keeps on coming out. Anyone know where the air is coming from?
    Is it a failing headgasket ore is it possible for air to be sucked in the system by the waterpump ore else?
    Any suggestion would be great!

2. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    My limited experience with this type of problem is that the water comes out where the air goes in?

Have you checked the radiator cap to ensure that it is providing a good seal and is of the correct pressure? That would seem the least likely avenue for air to enter the system, but if you are not seeing water coming from some other part of the system that would be where I would start. Of course, fixing the fan problem would be the first step.

Keep us posted

Best wishes

3. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Read this

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26365&page=1&pp=20&highlight=328+Coolant

I have a seemed problem now, the water falls to the ground.
    I have watched everything and I do not see by where it leaves the water.
    I have thought that it can be that also between air by the radiator, it is very normal that is broken.

(sorry my bad English writing)

Best regards

Alfredo.

4. Mantinger:

Not sure if your having other issues, but here is a tip that works for most...

The 328 cooling system is a little finicky, but works well. You will always find air up front at the top of the radiator. Bleed it once until coolant comes out, then gently tighten the bleed screw by hand and leave it alone. With the engine cold, open up the radiator cap and siphon out some coolant until the coolant level is the same as the horizontal seem of the expansion tank (it's really not much of an expansion tank...) Basically, this seem is at the 50% level. Now go drive your car. Let it blow out a bit of coolant if it needs to, but don't let the level get too low in the event your car has a real problem.

It is common for folks to over fill that tank. The system will simply spit the extra out until it seeks the level it's happiest with. And again, there will always be some air up front so don't fool around with constantly trying to bleed the air off.

One other comment... the Ferrari cap leaves a bit to be desired. You can pick up another at your local dealer and it may seal better. Or you can do what many do and go to your local auto parts store and pick up a cap at a few PSI higher and give it a shot. It's not so much the higher pressure that helps, it's that the aftermarket caps usually they seal much better than the stock cap. Don't forget to replace with the Ferrari cap if you have your car judged! :)

Best of luck to you.

5. Oh yes... and be sure to take care of your cooling fan problem. As others have mentioned, that should be done first since you know it's a problem! Troubleshooting the fans is easy!

6. Mantinger

Mantinger Karting

Jul 30, 2004
    Netherlands, Drenthe
    Full Name:
    H
    Actions undertaken:
    There are no leaks, exept the "normal" drain under the fillercap after driving and idling. Level is about 50% now.
    Shortcut the fans. only one running. After that I checked the fuses: OK.
    Interchanging the relais: one of them didn't pop in. YES!! Replaced it and Both fans run again.
    By the way, its a horribel task to fit the relais-board back to place!! It has to be lowered to acces the upper relais. Not smart.

Will run the car and let you know if anything stays wrong.

Another mark:
    I noticed that some of the relais get really hot for they have to deal with a constant activity (fuelpump etc.). Is this normal??
    Think this shortenens the lifespan of several relais so it should be advisble to store some relais-types in the car.
    Last year the fuelpump relais died, leaving the car next to the road. Fortunatly, by interchanging the relais the car started again after half hour searching so towing the car was avoided.
    I'm intending to place a little 12 V ventilator at the bottom of the cover to cool the relais board.

7. Mantinger

Mantinger Karting

Jul 30, 2004
    Netherlands, Drenthe
    Full Name:
    H
    Ah!
    Drove the car for two more days and there's still air above the level in the radiator. Think that's normal. Temperatures are now below and on the 90 degrees mark again on idling and driving.
    So my conclusion: one radiator-fan working builds up heat when in slow traffic. Two fans will do the job and keeps the engine cool.
    Maybe it is wise to install a permanent shortcut with a switch to test the fans before every drive.

8. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    Good news that you have the problem under control and thanks for keeping us posted.

Enjoy driving!

Best wishes