How many Km's is too many for a 348??? | FerrariChat

How many Km's is too many for a 348???

Discussion in '348/355' started by zakeen, Sep 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Hi,

I am thinking about buying a 348 and want your thoughts on whats too many for a 348. I see many in my country(AUS) around the 60,000kms. Is that too many. I could pay an extra $10k-$20K(AUS) more for a 348 with around 30,000kms.

Would this be money worth spent?

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I think that the few extra dollars spent on a car with 30,000 km (about 18,000 miles) is quite worth it.

I personally would never purchase a Ferrari with more than, say, 22,000 miles on it (35,000 km). There are plenty of people who have purchased and own high mileage Ferraris and are not bothered, but to me such cars are a little scary--they are worth less, harder to sell, and more worn down.

Do a search on the archives and maybe you'll find some enlightenment.

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    A 348 will be approx. 10 years old. From the experiences of the experts in this forum I would strongly recommend NOT to buy a car that has been sitting around too long. I would regard 5.000 km per year as a minimum.

The V8 engines have a reputation of lasting 200 - 250.000 km before a rebuild is required. That is, if they haven´t been immobilized for a longer period. How long will it take you to reach that mileage? Go for the better car, take the one with 60.000 km on it.

4. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    thats what I was thinking.

A car with 60,000kms on it and was made in 1991 that is 4615kms per year! which is not much at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

384km per month which I am guessing that about 4 hours a month in the car! Thats an hour a week! so for a car with 30,000kms its only 30mins a week the car has been drivin! WOW!

I do feel safer buying a car that has been used, they are designed to be drivin. Not kept in the garage!

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Drive drive drive drive.

My car gets better and better the more I drive it. Although you gotta let them properly warm up, shifting at 3K and only driving them to the concourse is totally criminal (in my opinion). Everything can be rebuilt, everything can be repainted.

Somebody posted here (was it PimpDaddy?) that if your Ferrari just sits in the garage, you're only saving it for the next guy or your wife's new boyfriend when you die. Sheesh... no way am I gonna let that happen! It's a car, not an investment.

-Daniel

6. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    well said!

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato