Putting the 355 into storage :( | FerrariChat

Putting the 355 into storage :(

Discussion in '348/355' started by jakermc, Sep 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Last weekend I had the misfortune of tearing my achilles tendon and it looks like it will be two months or so before I can operate a clutch again.

I've driven my 355 3-4 days/week since I bought it in February and it never crossed my mind that I would ever have to hang it up for an extended period of time. It appears to have the factory battery tendor as there is an electrical plug next to the battery shut off knob. Do I simply plug it in and that's it? Is there anything else I would need to do to the car to prepare it for 2 months of downtime?

My greatest concern is getting healthy for the French Quarter Classic. My wife and I are registered to go but the dates are right around when my cast is supposed to come off. Even if I can get through the gears on the road, I don't know if I'll be strong enough to operate the clutch on the track. A very depressing thought ....

2. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    I am in snow country and I don't drive my 355 spider from Oct 1 to April 15. I just plug in the trickle charger and it is just fine come spring.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I didn't realize that a 355 had a factory option Battery Tender. I think this might have been added by a previous owner. Did your car have a previous owner? If so, then it would be a guess as to how it was installed and how to use it. You should check to see how this is connected to your car. I can tell you I purchased a Waterproof Battery Tender w/ cig lighter adapter option and all I do is plug it into the cig. lighter. It has worked great. Personally, I would suggest you run / move the car atleast once every two weeks. If you can't move it, do you know someone you trust who could?

Sorry about your injury. If I was in your area I'd help you out.......

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I would definately reccomend to either put a battery tender or take the battery comepletely out. I would also try to cover all the inlets into the engine (exhaust, intake, etc). To help avoid any rodents you may want to also put some mothballs in old socks and leave them inside the interior and trunk (rodents hate the smell). Other then that you should be fine, especailly since it should only be for a couple months. Good luck with your achilles.

5. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    The battery charger was an option...you can also buy it from the dealer.

Ferrari part #70000905 for the entire kit.

6. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    As FL355 noted, the battery tender was an option that was made available for the 355 later in the lifecycle. The previous owner had it installed in 2000 (if I remember right) at Shelton, I have the receipt. Yesterday I plugged in the F-car and P-car and said good-bye for a few months. I'm not sure which is worse, not owning a Ferrari or owning one but not being able to drive it. After only 1 week, it already feels like torture.

Thanks for the well wishes. I am having surgery this week and will hopefully recover quickly and be back on the track in November.