Don's 308 service notes, vol. 1 | FerrariChat

Don's 308 service notes, vol. 1

Discussion in '308/328' started by don_xvi, Sep 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Since there have been a number of times as I've been slaving on my 308 and I've thought "That would be a good item to record for posterity on F-chat!" but I've never done any real write up, I thought I'd put a few random notes down, maybe they'll help someone, maybe I'm the last one to figure these things out. They all pertain to working on my 78 308 GTS.

Stant 11229 Radiator / Expansion Tank Cap works, but fits tighter than the old cap, so I don't like it as much. 0.9 bar=13 PSI.

Motormite ("HELP!") 55050 A.I.R. Check Valve (referenced elsewhere, '81 Buick Regal V6/V8, '82 Camaro V8) fits just dandy.

Apparently the 308 uses the same clutch alignment tool as an '80 International Scout II (or many other I-H light trucks), Motormite 14372. Non-stocking at my local parts places, but you may be able to order one. OD 1-1/4", 10 Splines. Note that they mention generically "Ferrari" as an application on their website, but it doesn't have model specifics; Those 2 measurements matched my 308, though, I can't speak to pilot bearing diameter.

When rebuilding your carbs, keep the throttle plates with the holes they came out of. Even if they look like a good fit upon reassembly, they may not be tight enough, causing excess air leakage.

Those pesky M4 screws that hold those plates in have a particularly small head, the cheese head screws you can order by the box at McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) almost fit, just chuck one up in your drill and hold a file to it. They also fit to hold your ignition condensers in place.

When removing/re-installing carbs, take the oil filter and PCV line off to get at those pesky rear nuts. Just remember to put the filter back on before you test run, I almost forgot once!

Fel Pro 8194 and NEA EX-1 are exhaust donuts that can be used when working on your... well, exhaust. Wait till I get the bag from one of the other ones I used (it's at work) and I'll post a lot of other part numbers that fit!

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Clutchtools.com lists tool IH10 for all Ferraris 1967-1998.
    1.25" O.D., 10 Spline, Pilot Dia 0.590".
    I assume that "IH" in the part number comes from "International Harvester".

3. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    License plate lights & front turn signal lights (the latter look like traditional 1156 bulbs), Wagner 7506BP & 5007BP, not sure which is which but the SAE types listed in the owners' manual don't lead anywhere. These are Wagner's "European OE" lights and are the correct wattage. Stocked at AutoZone.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    MGB clutch tool works just fine...about 5 bucks

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    This is good stuff, keep it coming.

6. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    If your engine bonnet struts cant keep it up,

On my 308 GTSi rear bonnet, the part # I used is an RB87905038 this is the
    same number as shown on BOTH the Pepboys and the Autozone struts.
    It was a direct fit no modification was needed.
    I think it was like $38 for the pair.
    So dont spent Like $50 on a off brand pair on E-bay then Add $12 for shipping so you get it in 4~5 days.
    Stop in your local store and get rid of that broomstick prop today.

After my factory original Radiator cap pooped out causing major boilover and a very hot engine temp, I used a stant 11230 like $3.75 at Pep boys
    its Approx. 1.1 Bar = 16 PSI. OEM i think is .9 Bar approx 13 PSI.
    Like the other Stant cap its a tighter fit, but has been flawless performer.
    The extra pressure thoe slight, help insure no more boilovers.

Maybe if I bend out the lockdown tabs to match the OEM cap, It may fit like a glove? HMMMMM

Ill report back later on that.

Mark

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great thread!! :) :) :)

8. f360racer

f360racer Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    PJ Z
    "Ferrari" replacement parts are great info as Ferrari parts are harder and harder to find or afford. The strut info was timely as I need some now.