Squealing 355 brakes | FerrariChat

Squealing 355 brakes

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by speeder37, Sep 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I am expieriencing a long term problem that I wish to end. I have a 99 GTS that has a very annoying low speed brake squeal. Hot or cold does not seem to matter. Is there a pad that will help? Is there some product or procedure that will help? This squealing is a real pain. Any help would be great.
    Speeder

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  3. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Yes, new factory pads.

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    There is a thread discussing carbon kevlar pads that you may want to read. I haven't tried this but I have investigated it and most likely will choose them for pad replacement next time around.

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    The problem may be due to loose pads.

Find out which pads are causing the squeal; remove them and apply disc brake adhesive.

First though, try seating the pads. Try a number of hard braking stops, it may help.

6. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    All stock 355 brakes (new) squeal....

Get a set of porterfield pads... DIY for $125 and they brake better.

Did mine about 2 years ago and no more squeals...ever.

web www.porterfield-brakes.com (I think)....get the R4S brake pads

PS - If you do a search on the old site I did a step by step write up with photos....the retainer spring on FCars are a little different than most cars and the write up will show you how to do it.

7. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Yes, new Porterfield pads solved my '98 355 annoying brake squeal. Very pleased.

8. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Use copper grease on the back of the pads. It stops the squeal 100%

9. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Miy discs always squeal when I brake gently from low speeds. If I'm driving fast and use some pressure on the brake pedal they don't squeak at all. It's a very common problem with many supercars, not only F355s.

10. velocityengineer

velocityengineer Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    Hi Speeder,

This kind of noise is very common with all Brembo and other aluminum bodied calipers using a high friction brake pad.

The noise is due to the leading edge of the pad making contact with the rotor and chattering as a high frequency vibration that begins a squeal. Also, the pad side edges will ring inside the caliper at the contact with the wear plates that center the pad. This is particularly true at light system pressures as in most street stops. High pressure brake applications force more intimate contact between pad and rotor and dampen the vibrations. This is why the pads come with a large chamfer on the leading edge, unfortunatley, this rarely helps. The OE pad has a high metallic content, which also exaggerates this problem.

The easiest solution is to use the high temperature pad grease available at any parts shop as was posted before. Put the grease at the piston contact areas and the sides of the pad. Next step would be different pad materials. High carbon-ceramic pads will dampen the squeal a bit better and still give great performance.

I hope this helps, and by way of explanation, I know this trivia as I was an engineer for Brembo for many years.

-Eric

11. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    i like the cross drilled rotors, i just like the look of them, if you change rotors to crossed drilled do you have to also change caliper and pads?
    also do you have to change front and rears at the same time?

Car 95 f355b

12. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I would think you wouldn't have to change pads if they are in good shape but you should re-bed the pads onto the new rotors after they are installed. It would make sense to have all four axles of the same type of pads and rotors especially if you drive the car aggressively. There may be a difference in brake bias from front to rear and if you don't change all at the same time it may cause issues while driving.

13. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Lamborghini Dallas can cure that. I had the same problem and sked them if they could help. The tech there is a past long time Ferrari tech. I believe they round the edges and treat them with chemicals of some sort. Worked great for me.

14. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thanks gentlemen. I picked up some CRC Disc Brake Quiet this evening. The parts person stated that the CRC product is copper based grease. If this does not work out, I will order the Porterfields.
    Thanks again.
    Speeder

15. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    Try using Stillen sport rotors and Metal Matrix pads.Works with stock calipers and brake ABS and wear sensors.Used tis same setup on my previous 348tb and first modification to my present F355 Spider was to change over to the Stillen setup.Rotors are cross drilled Brembos and exact fit.www.stillen.com,located in Costa Mesa,Ca.