jacking up a boxer | FerrariChat

jacking up a boxer

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by steveirl, Sep 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    i wish to jack up my boxer at the rear and place it on a set of axle stands, just unsure about where to locate the trolley jack??
    can anyone advise?
    steve

2. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I jacked mine up where the tow hook is on the rear frame, it's nice and flat just put some cardboard between the jack and the frame so you dont scratch it

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    DO NOT jack on the cross member under the trans.

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    If your jack is a big enough and low enough, you can jack it using a piece of plywood on the big gearbox drain plug. Nice and square lift and tough as anything.

I use this method for moving some suitable cars around the workshop when it's too crowded to drive them, just drag it around on a GOOD QUALITY jack.

5. Frank R. Masiarz

Nov 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Frank R. Masiarz
    Hi.........

From my own experience, you can lift the rear of a Boxer with a floor jack placed under one rear corner of the frame. Use a block of wood to protect the paint and metal. Place a jack stand on the opposite side at a convenient location under the frame. Place another jack stand on the "lift" side and lower the car onto the jack stands. Use blocks of wood on the jack stands as well. Make sure that the entire system is stable before complete removal of the jack. The wood blocks should be small and thin, like short hardwood floor sections, to ensure stability at the contact points. Position the jack stands symmetrically across the frame, if possible.

Use two jacks if you have them !!! In any case, you can raise the car gradually, using the height adjustment devices on the jack stands, if you feel that a single lift will be too high for the jack or your comfort level.

Never lift the car on the rear frame crossmember. It is hollow and not strong enough to support the weight.

Not too sure about elevation of the car at the transaxle, as you place strain on the motor mounts with that method. Definitely the easiest method, but I have never tried it.

Anyone have any great ideas about lifts at the front end of a Boxer, given the poor ground clearance ?? Drive up on ramps first !?

Comments ??

Frank..............23005
    www.masiarz.net/bb_resource

6. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Anyone have any great ideas about lifts at the front end of a Boxer, given the poor ground clearance ?? Drive up on ramps first !?

Comments ??

I have not needed to jack up the front of my Boxer yet, don't know a good spot either but looking at it my el cheapo Wal Mart $20 jack will fit fine, I use it on my 328 also, I just removed the front wheels on the jack and it is very low.

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    You're right about straining the engine mounts...I use the jack there deliberately to TEST the mounts while jacking..if the mounts are too soft, the engine will move a bit like it would on the road under hard loads...otherwise it's quite difficult to get any idea on how good they are. The transaxle is bomb proof from that angle...the drain bung is also the skid block on many BB's!, it's only diff housing that's weak.

You can use the side lifting point toward the rear to jack up a front wheel and rear at the same time...but use a small block that fits inside the clevis to avoid squashing it. You can lift it quite high...enough to put stands under front and rear in one go, then go round the other side and lift it up squarely to but it on all 4 stands. Don't get too greedy with your lifting though, the jack could slip out if you have poor floor surface that does not allow the jack to roll in while you lift.

8. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    One word of caution - on Boxers and Testarossas, jacking from one corner does apply considerable "twisting" to the frame, and I know of at least one cracked windshield that resulted from the process.

Jim S.

9. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    thanks for all the help guys, i need to jack it to trace an oil leak, it appears to be coming from one of the two pipes that feed oil to the heads from the sump, i know the pipes are quite new so maybe it is just a loose clip
    steve

10. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    They are just oil drain pipes back to sump. No oil pressure inside, but yes, probably just a loose clamp with luck.

Loosen and re-nip up the nuts that hold the pipe fittings to the cam covers too.. check the threads are ok as they often get overtightened and stripped when people try to stop that annoying leak!

11. Frank R. Masiarz

Nov 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Frank R. Masiarz
    Hi again..............

Thought about "twist" with lift of the Boxer at one rear corner of the frame, but never considered the possibility that it would deform enough to crack a windshield !! Ugh !!! Have you seen a Boxer frame ?? Guess that it is not quite rigid enough....but it sure is heavy !!

Best solution: get a solid steel bar or a thick-wall rectangular tube which will span the rear of the frame and lift the rear end of the car slowly with a floor jack centered on it. In other words, use it as a surrogate for that "wimpy" rear crossmember.

Ferrarifixer: do you have a picture of the side lift point ?? Is it inside a rocker panel ?? Sounds like the best way to get a Boxer completely up in the air for work at all four corners.

Frank...........23005
    www.masiarz.net/bb_resource

12. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Reply - Frank - I have spoken with experienced F-mechanics who have cautioned me about this issue, and I have paid attention for many years. When lifting from a corner, I go slowly, and try to either use the jack point (under the rear aspect of door) or go up a little in a sequential pattern from each corner, introducing a jack stand alternatively on each side. When driving into my steep angled driveway I do feel the pillars move relative to the windshield glass, and thus 1) go slowly and 2) angle across the driveway to flatten the roadway as much as possible.

I raise the issue only to caution against someone launching one corner to the moon without at least thinking about this issue.

Jim S.

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Frank.

Just get down on your knees (a common position for Ferrari owners for many reason!). and have a look at the floor roughly in line with the rear edge of the door. There's an up-side-down channel for locating your jack. A trolley jack can be used here, but a small piece of wood/metal should be put to fit in the gap to prevent crushing of the channel.

You may find the channel has laready been crushed beyond recognition, in which case just lift it up any old how!