308 valve train noise | FerrariChat

308 valve train noise

Discussion in '308/328' started by dlpeworld, Sep 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dlpeworld

dlpeworld Rookie

Sep 12, 2004
    Last time I had the valve cover off this car was 5 years ago and can't remember camshaft setup (carb. 308)

When cold this car makes a "bearing noise" from inside the rear valve cover. Noise mostly goes away when warmed up. Sounds like a ball bearing is going out, but I can't remember if there IS one in the cam setup of this car.

Anyone know?

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Are you sure the sound isn't coming from lower? Such as the bearing on the gear that drives the timing belts. Those seem to fail occasionally. Also, the water pump has a bearing that can get noisy and that's close to the same area.

Birdman

3. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    There are no bearings inside the cam covers on 308's. The cams ride in aluminum bores integrated as part of the cylinder head. I agree with Birdman in his post above. Most likely you're hearing a water pump bearing going south. I just replaced mine last week. If you have an early car with an original pump, it has a small bearing pump with is prone to taking a dump. Jack the car up, remove the inner fender well, and run the car on jack stands. Listen with a mechanics stethescope (can be found at any Harbor Freight store for about $5.00). This will allow you to isolate the noise. Usually the outer bearing checks out due to the high load placed on it from the alt/H2O pump belt being overly tight.
    If you do find it's your water pump growling, do yourself a favor and upgrade to a large bearing pump. If you choose to do the job yourself, it can be accomplished with nothing more than a 10mm and a 13mm socket and a razor blade to clean the old gasket material from the primary housing. You can buy a direct replacement from AW Imported Auto Parts for $250 including a new gasket. The number is 800-631-5589. Call and ask for Frank Baker. I buy all my parts from him for my 308QV. His prices are sometimes half of other outfits and he is reliable as a Rolex. Ships UPS to your door and will overnight stuff at reasonable rates. I have no affiliation with him, I just buy parts from him and have found him to be great all around. I should probably mention to him that he might want to look into being a sponsor on this site. As many "do-it-yourselfers" that frequent this site it would definitely benefit his business.

Good luck,
    John

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    $250 for a large-bearing pump? Is this correct? If so, that's damn good!

A tell-tale sign that the pump is on its way out is that it starts weeping/leaking from the weep hole. When the coolant comes out of here, you know its washing out that inner bearing and thus it'll eventually start making noises and then it'll go.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What year is your 308? Is it a QV or a 2valve injected or carb? Reason for asking is the 2 valve cars with injection are a bit nosier in the top end. I would check your valve clearences if everything else that the others have pointed out is ok. Also make sure your cam belt tentioner bearings are in good condition..if they go you'll have much more to worry about then a small nosie!!

6. dlpeworld

dlpeworld Rookie

Sep 12, 2004
    Thanks Spang and others. Appreciate the parts source tip!

At first i thgouth the H2O pump bearing was bad - rebuilt it recently; the shop that pressed the bearings in did not put grease in.

But, yesterday, I listened more cartefully and for sure the noice is from the rear valve cover, about in the middle. For sure not from the pump. Sounds just like a chattering-whirring noise like a ball bearing failing, but I didn't remember a ball bearing on the camshafts. Can a worn oil bearing cause such a noise??

FYI - it's a carb (2-valve) car

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

perhaps you should consider sending off a sample of oil to have it checked. i have considered doing this for my 308 , but i have yet to get to do it.

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

!!!! thanks for posting that !!!! :)

9. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Just bought one two weeks ago. $249.00 with exchange of my old pump ($159 core charge). Even came with a new gasket. Frank's a great guy and I'm surprised at the size of his in stock inventory. Like I stated above, his prices are quite low. For example: 308 cam cover gaskets-$25 per side, tensioner bearings-$85.00 each, timing belts-$18.50 each, distributor gaskets-$1.34 each, rear sealed wheel bearings-$24.50 each (4 req'd.).
    I haven't found a better source, but I'm all ears if there's one out there.
    Just passing along a good tip to all the DIYers on the board.

dlpeworld,
    I'd be pulling that cam cover off, if I were you! Remove the engine brace, plug wires and twelve 10mm nuts and your staring at your camshafts. Hell, you don't even have to remove the spark plugs and if you have an early single dist. car, you don't have to remove the rear dist. either. Really you should be able to have a look inside in less than 30 minutes. Be careful not to drop anything inside the head once the cover is off. Nuts and washers can hide in there pretty well.

Good luck,
    John