2000 550 spark plugs | FerrariChat

2000 550 spark plugs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by garysp7, Sep 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I am thinking of having a spare set of plugs for my car.
    What plugs are working the best for street driving where it is most highway and fast driving. Is everyone using Champions or NGK?
    I am stopping by a Ferrari dealer tomorrow. Should I just pick up the extra set there?
    I also need to pick up some SHell Helix oil 5/40. No one has it up here by me. Again, I either need to pick it up at the dealer or find someone on line who sells it.
    Any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Gary

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the oil is nigh impossible to find. a few guys on the board have located sources to buy it in bulk (ie: by the barrell). but otherwise the dealer is the only option, and it's priced like liquid gold. as i understand it, shell stopped importing helix into the US in 2002 or 2003.

doody.

3. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Ok, so if he dealer added 5/40 Shell Helix, can I add any other make synthetic it it needs it?

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the conventional wisdom is that there's no problem topping up with some other similar synthetic if you don't have the helixe stuff. i believe some of the guys on the board have dumped helixe for mobil1.

i do not find that my car eats oil. i have a few litres of helixe on the shelf (purchased at the delaer) and maybe i dump in a half-litre every 2500 miles to 3000 miles - at the MOST.

doody.

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I don't know what plugs are used but I see no reason you should source them from the dealer if you can get them else where. On the oil, if you are out of warranty I see no reason not to change to a mobil one or other high quality syn, they are much cheaper

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Both of these comments are right on. NGK plugs are superior in your car and the correct ones are usually available for the asking at your local parts house.

7. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    if you can find the NGK's let me know!! I have had all my major suppliers search for the now discontinued plug. I even had the local NGK rep call me and advise me all US suppliers were dry and they were trying to get them international.

Solution, back to the dreaded Champions. #809

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Did you try www.clubplug.net? (Canada-based, but I've had no trouble getting plugs from them).

They show that Champion RA6HC (809) cross-referencing to a NGK DCPR8E (4339) -- and that NGK PN still shows as available on their website.

Their application table lists a 2000 550 Maranello as using NGK DCPR9E or DCPR9EIX so those might be options as well.

9. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I just returned from Central Florida dealer and they list the OEM plugs as Champions A59GC with a part #154490 at about $17.00 each.
    I picked up two litres of Shell Helix. Now I know what you mean by liquid gold at $14.00 per litre. Oh Well, I guess since it is under warranty I will continue to use the Helix although I may do my own oil changes and continue to pick up the oil from them.
    Thanks
    Gary

10. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    I use 5 -30 wt Mobil 1 in my 2000, 550 ... works fine and as already stated .... much cheaper, plus any Pep Boys has it. As for filters ... have never found a place other than the dealer to get these..... there's been a few threads about other brand filters available ...some threads listed web addresses ... but none of these had 550 filters..... I paid about $ 16/ea last time at the dealer ..... reasonable .... but would be easier to just order them on-line. Any leads?