purchase help 360 or 328 and TR | FerrariChat

purchase help 360 or 328 and TR

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by blacktestarosa23, Sep 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blacktestarosa23

Sep 12, 2004
    Having owned a Mondial and an 87 328, I was all set to purchase a TR. Then fortune smiled on me and I found a few more available resources which put me in the 360 category. However, I live in 2 places evenly divided time. Looking for thoughts on splitting the 120ish so I can have an F car in both places.

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I vote for a 328 and TR. The 2 cars that I have owned - Just wish I could have kept them both!

3. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If i had the choice, I would go something old, something new. 360 and TR

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    2 355's (might be a bit more)

If one place has real gd weather put the spider there. Now it's only a question of color.

5. ART360

ART360 Guest

What are the two locations, might effect which cars you are to own. If you're in the North during the winter, no need for an F-car. Let us know. I'd get a 360 no matter what. If you have one, you'll be disappointed in an older car.

Art

6. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    ...but then again I am a bit biased ;-)

Cheers,
    Travis

7. blacktestarosa23

Sep 12, 2004
    weather is the same in both place. my 328 always drove better in the fall and on dry cold days in december. the budget will allow for a TR and an 88/89 328. The 360 is my first choice but to have it sit in a garage 50% of the drivable time seems like too much of a waste. I agree 2 355s is ideal but we are now approaching 175k which too much.

8. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Hands down... 360!!!!

9. fvracing

fvracing Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Winnipeg
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I like your thinking. Life is too short to have a car like the 360 sitting for half of it. definitely go for the 328 and TR or other equal value.

Driving these cars is what they are made for.

Pete

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Get the 360 and what you'll probably pay to maintain the older cars you could put towards shipping to the other location ;)

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    If you can't swing two 355's atleast get one and something else or just a 360. I'm not sure you would be at $175K for two 355's though.

12. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I would vote in favor of the TR and 328 combo - you have had eight cylinder experience in the Mondial and 328. With the TR you get 12 cylinder experience - something different.

If you already own a 87 328 then the entire 120K should be available to spend - in that case why not a early 550 Maranello?

Unless of course you mean you had owned the 328 and sold it since...

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i'm a one-woman man and if i can logically compare anything to women, it's cars... i say you get ONE and that way you'll have time to thoroughly enjoy it, getting to know it more intimately as time goes on.

Having driven two 328s, a Testarossa and a 360, i'd have to say you should get the Modena...

The acceleration in a Testarossa rivals that of a 328 so, in this instance, the 328 is out... Testarossas are beastly machines; the sound, the feel, the whole experience of driving a Testarossa is life-altering... You definitely lose some of that in-depth feeling you get with a Testarossa when you go with a 360, but the acceleration and handling in a 360 is obviously superior in this group... and if you like acceleration as much as i do, you'll opt for a Modena.

If you're in two places, pretty much equal amounts of time, just drive the Modena back and forth. What better way to maximize time and enjoy your new toy...? If that's not possible, then you should go for the TR and 328 option... Let us know what you decide, but most importantly...

...post pictures. :)

14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Go for the TR. Gotta love that extravagant styling. I love the angles and lines. A modena?...doesn't that 3/4 window say Toyota Supra? :)

Ok, I'm bias. The last Ferrari made I like is the 355 because of that 308/328/348/TR/355 school of design. I don't like rounded cars myself.

15. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    Well, I understand your desire to have a Ferrari at both locations. But I am confused with this issue. First, if you had a 328 and a TR one at each home then you would not be driving one of these cars half of the year depending which location you are at. Second, you have two very different cars at each home so wouldn't you miss one when at one location and the other when you are at the other?
    Having this thought in my mind I would do one of two things. First, if you are okay with having two Ferraris and only drive each one for half the year then I would buy a F355 GTS or Spyder and the second Ferrari car would be a 456 GT. You might find yourself owning two terrific Ferraris that are different enough and are also great compliments to each other. My second thought would be to do what someone has already stated. Ship or drive our Ferrari to the home you are going to be at. Modern Ferraris do not like to sit for long periods of time. The money you will possibly save in repairs could be spent on shipping. Under this thought I would buy the 360. It is a terrific car to drive. You will like the way it handles, it's comfortable and yet sporty ride and the comfort inside. Personally I love driving my cars. I could not think of leaving one stored for half the year. Now it would be a very different matter if you wanted a modern Ferrari and a true classic as well then I could see using one more than the other.
    Ultimately I think for us to advise you we need more info.

Safe and Happy Travels

16. Myhorse

Myhorse Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    As an owner of a TR, I would buy the TR and spend the rest on lap dances.

17. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile

Are the lap dances before or after the major service?

-Sign me up !

Shamile
    (91 TR US )

18. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    In your postion, I'd definitely go for two cars. TR & 328 all the way!

The TR is one of my all time favorites (I don't ever plan on selling mine), and the 328 is a fun and fast cruiser (get the GTS).

19. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Wanting Ferrari at 2 different location is the priority, TR & 328 is the way to go.

360 is totally different car, and if you want the comfort & ease of driving, the closest you can get is 355.

Maybe you can get 355 & 308/328. But you won't enjoy 12 cylinder.

You have a FUN problem to deal w/. Let us know what you decide w/ pics of your final result.

20. ferrariguy

ferrariguy Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2002
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Lawrence Yee
    It sounds like you have a budget so would maintenance be a factor as well? If it is then I think the 360 is the way to go (360 owners jump right in here). I know from personal experience that TR maintenance is very expensive. I think 328's are cheaper.

In any case if it's not a factor then go with the TR and 328 (best of both worlds 8 / 12 cyl)

My $2 (inflation) :)

21. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Changing the subject a little bit,,, I have a 996TT and I used to have a '88 testarossa that I sold due to some extrange things about the car. But anyway what would any of you rather have, The 996Turbo or a nice 87 Testarossa for something like $70,000 with around 10,000 miles and plenty of cash to buy a good daily driver or just keep the 996Turbo until you get the F430 and keep both?

22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Arrgh ! Who mentioned porsches here :) Great cars but no feel and a too many.

Yes the TR is really really expensive to maintain even compared to other Ferraris. BUT....it really is a great car. In the greed decade, it was duking it out with the Lamborghini Diablo for King of the hill. Remember, it holds the record for most auto magazine covers. Yeah....my covergirl ! ( I know, I know, no blonde yet ) :)

Shamile

23. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

Yes very expensive indeed, after driving mine as a daily driver for 5 years and more than $30,000 in service records and keeping it perfect I still think is a great car and more desiring to own than many other cars or Ferraris as a matter of fact, but when you have the devastating performance of a 996 Turbo anytime for "no maintenance" at any second any time you want, then there is an option to buy a 996 turbo over a slow to comparison Testarossa. But since I know both cars very well I still feel like buying a Testarossa all over again, but not because there are a lot of Porsches around, but because I like the Ferrari better. Porsches have to be taken a step closer to full out to then feel what the car is all about and it is a very special thing, but if one is a poser the Porsche will let you down because it will feel boring where a poser Ferrari owner will enjoy the Ferrari even if standing still or at idle. Im not calling you a poser by the way, just saying my point of view. The Porsche 996 Turbo is a superior car than the Testarossa but the heart might feel Ferrari all the way while the mind will many times just ask, why?
    And there is no logical answer maybe like the old slogan says, Ferrari one word says it all... and Porsche there is no substitute... and I think in their own ways they are both right.

24. blacktestarosa23

Sep 12, 2004
    i had a 996 cab (2002) and it is soul less. Ditto on a Viper. The 328 got more use than the 996. I have an S class for a daily driver. The TR/328 duo is strictly for weekend and some weekday fun. I know about maintenance costs. Leaning towards a 328 for NY and a TR for the Midwest.

25. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    360 & let the rest fall into place. Bare bones here.