How do you keep critters out of your Ferrari or other car? | FerrariChat

How do you keep critters out of your Ferrari or other car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DBR328&330, Sep 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    The rat ppoison I put in my garage has kept critters from setting up shop in my garage and eating my Ferraris. However my beater car (92 Sentra SE-R, owned since new), which is kept outside, has literally been destroyed by animals. The undersurface is all chewed up and many wires are gone and hoses leak. I need a beater car and have the opportunity to get another old SE-R. Any way to prevent the same thing from happening again? Moth balls? Some sort of electric device?

Thanks

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Moth balls.

Lots of Moth balls.

3. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ditto. It may smell sometimes, but it sure beats finding a nest in your engine!

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    get 2 cats. no critters will stay around.

5. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Buy 2 Main Coon mouser cats. Theyll eat every rodent and insect on your property. Or a .22 rifle with a scope and subsonic rounds.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Last time I did this (17 years ago) I found out the hard way that my neighbor was a police captain.

That one got interesting when the chopper with the sniper hovered into the back lot!

Ahh, in my youth! :D:D:D:D:D

DL

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    wow!!! details!

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I have an ultrasonic pest eliminator that can cycle from small bugs to all the way up to mice and squirrels. It does an outstanding job, and nothing even wants to get near that sound.

(In an old, poorly insulated house, it's amazing what'll camp-out in your attic). These things do work, and they're worth their price -- but they're not silent, in fact they're quite loud.

Prior to the zapper device, I used a Wal-Mart pellet gun with a decent scope. I found that if you surgically remove a few rodents, the word gets out into the community (rodent community, that is) to avoid your house. Mrs. JRR was seriously pissed at my indiscriminate killing of small furry animals hence we bought the zapper.

-Daniel

9. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Heh, I was backing out Henry's 512M out of the garage for a drive this weekend and found a decent sized spider web in the passenger floor when the sunlight exposed the mess. Blasted bugs!

It may have already been discussed, but do those inflatable 'auto cocoon' gadgets work? I would at least think it to do something at bug/rodent prevention, in addition to electronic pest repellants.

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    The cats are a good idea but my suggestion would be to drive it regularly (even though I know it's sometimes hard). In a way I guess I'm lucky as several of my neighbors have cats that seem to like hanging out around my house. Keeps the rodents down without any of the headaches of ownership!

11. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I just removed a volleyball-sized midden from behind the master cylinder of my 328. It was very old, because the mouse I found in it was practically mummified. I've been using moth balls and traps in my garage and they seem to work.

12. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I always honk my horn before starting the engine. About ten years ago, a cat had gone to sleep in my engine bay on a cold night. Needless to say, it was 'kitty parts' all over the place when I started my car. That one shook me up. I like cats.

13. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    Thats sad i love kittys :(

14. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    I tried the cocoon, but had a couple of issues with it. First, my feral cats scratched a tear into it. Second, when inflated, it covered my wall electrical outlets. Finally, if the power goes off, it deflates. There is a gadget to use the car battery in case that happens, but then you can kill your battery.

I use one of the zip-up bags you drive into now. It definitely keeps the animals away. Unfortunately, the same feral cats and a skunk have been known to mark it as territory. The car has to be dry, as the older ones, at least, don't breathe. If you use the car weekly, the zippers last about 3 years, it seems. I just replaced mine.

steve