355 Tyre Blowout | FerrariChat

355 Tyre Blowout

Discussion in '348/355' started by matkat, Sep 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Just had a left rear tyre blowout the car has done 4000 miles on this set of tyres(fitted last September)anyone else have this happen to them?,tyres are Bridgestone expedia

2. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Bridgestone S-01 Expedias are now pretty old, but that shouldn't cause a blowout. Typically, blowouts happen because you ran over/hit something, the tire was defective in the first place, or if it's been worn to the point the tread is gone.

Try this - check out the RIGHT rear tire. Jack the car up, and remove it. Inspect the INSIDE edge of the tire. 355s setup to run lots of negative camber or too much toe will cause the inside edge to wear ridiculously quickly. The outside edge will look like new, and you can't tell how worn the inside edge is until you inspect it off the car. I've seen a few where the inside edge is through the cord, while the outside edge has plenty of tread left. This could cause a blowout failure.

Insted of replacing the blown out tire with another Expedia, consider upgrading all four tires to Pilot Sports or S-03s.

vty,

--Dennis

3. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Dennis,thanks for the reply,You are totally correct the R/H tyre is exactly as You say,I will not replace them with Expedias have already sourced Pirellis what are your thoughts on these?
    Many thanks
    Dave Mc

4. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    First, get an alignment - and get some of that negative camber dialed out! :)

Most of the 355s in my neck of the woods are running the Michelin Pilot Sports or Bridgestone S-03s. Everyone seems to hate the Goodyears, so I'd say that the Pirellis come in a distant third. If you're replacing the rears, you should consider replacing the fronts as well (yes, $$$). Otherwise, when you get your new rear tires, you'll get a very peculiar feeling behind the wheel; sensation of lots of oversteer threatening to happen, even if it doesn't.

vty,

--Dennis

5. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Dennis thanks for the advice and I will certainly act on it,as for the alignment check I contacted the dealer and they want the car back as the geometry was checked only last month,please see the below figures

figures read like this

Total toe +00.38
    half toe(L/H)+00.19 (R/H)+00.19
    camber (L/H) -02.15 (R/H)-01.93
    symetry error (L/H&R/H) +00.79
    thrust angle (L/H&R/H) 00.00
    Track difference +01.62

other figures are
    Half toe
    Datum L/H +00.17 R/H +00.17(total +00.33)tolerance given as -00.07(L&R)

camber
    Datum -02.00 (L&R) tolerance given as -00.17 and +00.17

Advice greatfully accepted.
    Dave Mc

6. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Too much negative camber! Ferrari spec is actually very detrimental to tire health. You can dial in less negative camber, and still get plenty of performance (I've done lots and lots of track days with reduced negative camber). That's just my $.02.

Try starting another thread on alignment specs?

vty,

--Dennis

7. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Thanks Dennis will do.
    I have researched Mitch Alsup"s excellent post in regard to the 355 suspension setup and will get my dealer to act on these figures.
    Many thanks
    Dave Mc