Renault and Villeneuve? | FerrariChat

Renault and Villeneuve?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tjacoby, Sep 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Off the press this morning - now that'd be a hot combination if they pull it off. Hope Jacques has kept his fitness and driving up over the past few year(s).

Tue Sep 14, 8:38 AM ET

PARIS (AFP) - Renault might replace Jarno Trulli with former world champion Jacques Villeneuve for the last three Grands Prix of the 2004 Formula One season in China, Japan and Brazil.

AFP/File Photo

Sources close to the French team said they were negotiating with Trulli who leaves for Toyota next season.

"A decision should be taken Wednesday," he added.

Villeneuve, who left BAR last year before the season-ending Japanese Grand Prix, was at Silverstone this week where Renault were testing before flying to Shangai for the Chinese GP.

If Villeneuve feels he is not ready then Renault might replace Trulli with French driver Frank Motagny.

The Canadian, who won the world championship in 1997, had also been talked about as a possible replacement at Sauber for Italian driver Giancarlo Fisichella, who will move to Renault next year.

2. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    TOO COOL!!!! Go get-em JV!
    Jim

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    going to be really interesting to see whether JV's 'attitude' is any different; not too much I hope; still hope he speaks his mind (after he puts the pedal down tho.......)

4. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    I think he's going to stay quiet and take it like *****, until he starts to show really good results. Once that's in the bag, he'll start flapping his lips.

I think he's been taught a lesson. I'm so glad Sauber decided to give him a low salary and extra money based on performance. I never thought he was worth $22M/year, when he was at BAR.

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The big question is;
    Do you guys think he will outdo Alonso?

6. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I don't think J.V. will out do Alonso. Alonso is too familiar with Renault and J.V. has got to be a little rusty. It would be great to see Villeneuve in an F-1 car again though.

7. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Villeneuve at Renault might not be too bad.

8. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
  9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I was waiting for you, what took you so long to post on this thread? LOL!!!

If JV manages to get some results and keep his asinine comments and opinions to himself, I might just drum up some repect for the guy.

10. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Yeah, remember last time he said something on the order of "If Jenson outqualifies me this year.............I'll be out of F1."

Something tells me he ain't gonna utter the phrase "If Alonso outqualifies me these three races ............................................."

Rumor is that JV (who never liked testing) asked Flav if he could skip the test and PR session and just show up for race weekend :)

I never really liked JV, but I like Trulli even less so this makes my day.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

11. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Wow. The most interesting F1 news all year. Good for Renault 'cause the kid can at least speak French.

Go JV! F1 needs more character.

12. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Bernie, I'm shaking right now...(I have to stop thinking what JV could do for Renault)
    But just imagine...this will be the first time that JV will be able to fight for the victory against guys like Raikkonen, Montoya, Alonso, Button, Barrichello. I wonder what MS has to say about JV's return in F1.

If JV can get a podium finish or a pole position, I will more than happy. Now if he can get a victory I dunno what I'm going to do. :)

13. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    JV's back, great news for F1

14. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I started a thread on this yesterday morning based on articles on pitpass.com and other F1 sites. The story died when Renault denied that JV was going to get a test and replace Trulli. Renault said:

"The reports currently flying around the internet are pure speculation, and we strongly deny that any replacement will take place," a Renault spokesman told Atlas F1 today.

"As an aside, the fact that such reports mention Villeneuve possibly testing at Jerez, when the team is in fact running at Silverstone, is a good indication of the level of factual content they contain."

I guess maybe the reports had a bit more "factual content" then they were willing to say.

I am happy JV is back, if for no other reason then it provides interest for the final three races. However, I think Flav is a bit of an idiot in this. Why would it be better to let you current driver, who won a race for you THIS season, get so pissed off that he drives like crap and replace him with someone who hasn't driven an F1 car in a race for a year, and who hasn't won a race since 1997! Does this make any sense at all?

JV fans: I am not busting on your guy here, I hope he does well, I just think if Flav did his job right Trulli would still be doing well, and there would be no reason to go through these late season theatrics. Of course, maybe that is what old Flav wants, more exposure. Idiot!

15. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How do you think Alonso will take this??

Will it make him a better driver?

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I hope it works out since JV really has nothing to lose these next 3 races. It's not even like he's stepping into the car he'll be driving next year, so he can drive like a crazed man and not worry about ruffling any team feathers. It will definitely add some late-season excitement if nothing else!

17. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep tis true ...

Only 1 second off after such a huge break and never having driven the car before ... I'd be a worried little boy if I was Alonso!

Pete

19. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    I wouldn't start worrying and speculating right away or based on these times. Let's wait until race day, and then we’ll talk.

This reminds me of winter testing. Everybody takes those times as a true measurement of the car/driver performance through out the year. As we've seen that's not the case.