STUNNING XJ220 on ebay! | FerrariChat

STUNNING XJ220 on ebay!

Discussion in 'British' started by SefacHotRodder, Sep 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Impressive car!

2. SupercarFreak

SupercarFreak Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    fantastic color, really can't stand silver supercars...
    a bargain too

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I can't believe how cheap these go for now days.
    This is great I just read it on the Ebay listing.

"A real 212 MPH machine...takes a lot of balls, I haven't tried it. "

4. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Wow, that's damn cheap...a genuine supercar for only $190K..

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yea i saw that, funny. At least he's honest...

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Yes the car is awesome. It is the "hypercar" bargain. He did not mention maintainance. I wanted one. I started to negotiate. I did not think I could get it, for as close as I thought. We were close. I then decided it would be wise to check into the maintainance schedules and fees for the car. - That WAS a wise thing to look into. I have discussed this before.

Check the maintainance. F and L cars are cheap to maintain in comparison to the Xj.

- Otherwise it "is" the hypercar bargain. I love the back of the car. It looks like a rocketship.

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Wow I forgot how wonderful those lines are them.

Too bad today sportscars are fat porky and tall.

8. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Well I'm high bidder.. any thoughts on who to talk to to get EPA cert and be able to use it?
    Thoughts on what I should expect the reserve to be?
    thanx,
    Chelle

9. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There's a guy in Indiana that did the research to federalize the first XJ220 into the states under the Show and Display law. He knows the cars and what it takes to federalize ( PM me if you want his name and number). Probably close to $30,000 to do it right. If the car hasn't had the engine upgrades, the brake upgrades, the fuel bladder replacement, the clutch done, etc. etc. your looking at at least another $25,000.
    My partner has seen this particular car and said it was kind of rough. It was a Fast Masters car and they took a beating. Figure $15,000 plus to get the cosmetics back to where they should be.
    Regarding maintenance, Ralph's post was right. The maintenance costs will eat you alive if you really drive them.
    That said I love the cars and plan on getting one someday. I am surprised that they have reversed there upward trend and been depriciating again recently. Now I don't think we have seen the bottom price-wise.
    I think this car is a buy at $125,000. Otherwise I would wait.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Chelle
    I met the guy selling this car at Monterey and he seemed like a straight shooter. I'd give him a call. Tell him the guy with the P4 sent you.
    Best

11. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Michelle getting the XJ220? Wooohooo! :)

12. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

I offered 165K for the Symbolic Car. That is close to Diablo territory. Of course the 220 is soooo much more exotic than the Diablo. We were just inching towards each other. The salesman told me he could probably get it done for 175K. It was silver with very low miles. One owner with documentation and services. I was fired up. A light went off !!!!! I then called Norwoods in Dallas. I spoke to one of the technicians who worked on the car. They had done some work on a New Orleans car.

The maintainance is a ton. Just don't be bothered by "typical" 16K+ service invoices. 25K for a used transmission. Car has to be taken completly apart to replace the fuel cells/bags. Oh there is more. Heck I say skip it, and just purchase a flyable Mig-21.

Chelle: I want a ride if....... and you have to lay the hammer down !!!

13. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx all of you for the feedback,
    If this one goes too high there is one same color on carclassic.com with fewer miles and about the same price as the buy it now.... since neither has been cleared for road use yet I guess either one will take the same amount of work - I dug though my stuff at home and got the issue of autoweek out that describes how the guy in Indiana did it - so one way or another I just may do this. I have a decent offer one of my cars that if I accept would allow me to do this (and give me the garage space).
    Ralph, anyone who knows me well knows I have no problem taking people for rides or just letting them drive... we're supposed to enjoy these cars anyway - not live in fear of anyone touching them.. :) they are just high end toys.. and should be seen, driven, and shared... personally I'd get a big kick out of a professional driver showing me what anything I own is capable of
    Chelle

14. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Chelle GOOD LUCK. We ALL want you to get one. Be CAREFUL. REMEMBER - It HAS to be a hard car to move.

15. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    There is a Jaguar crowd in the UK, Don Law that looks after a lot of them. They also do a brake upgrade and from memory the cars have a problem with engine fires, anyway, Classic & Sportscar magazine did a buyers guide/article on the 220 a little while ago. These cars really need miles under the belt and suffer badly if they have been garage queens. Don Law calls it recommisioning them, to give you an idea how much work is required to get one back on the road if it's been sitting.

16. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Too bad they didn't fill that engine room with a V10 or V12, god knows there's room for one...

Impressive stats though, 542 HP from 3,5 litre!

/Peter

17. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One of the problems with a V12 is that it DIDN'T fit. The already big car
    was almost a foot longer with it as I remember. There was also a weight penalty.

If they could have made the V12 work well the cars would be worth 3 or 4 times what they are now.