Vintage Spotter's Thread | FerrariChat

Vintage Spotter's Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ArtS, Sep 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I've noticed that most of the local sections have spotter's threads, but there usually isn't anything vintage listed.

I was driving on Rt. 684 in western CT a week ago Saturday when I spotted a blue Lola T-70 heading the other way (Jim G. I presume). That experience, combined with what I saw at Lime Rock convinced me to start this thread.

Has anyone else seen any Ferrari or interesting vintage hardware on the roads?

Art S.

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Great idea!

I assume this thread is for Vintage cars spotted geographically anywhere?

If so, spotters need to spec country & local area.

Not many Vintage on the road in Dallas, TX, USA.

3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I'm assuming the sighting is only valid if you get the telaio for Wayne and the others. ;)

Cheers
    Simon

4. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I saw a dark blue 365 GT 2+2 going down State Route 29 in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. First vintage Ferrari I've seen on the road in years outside of the area of concours events.

My favorite vintage car spot was about 10 years ago on I-94 in western Michigan. Ivory Mercedes 300SL gullwing with black California plates, fitted suitcases behind driver and passenger who were both white haired ancients. Obviously had the car for a long time and were used to touring in it.

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Simon,

I can't prove anything but I saw the Lola and Jim again at Lime Rock on Sunday.

Scott & Eric,

There are a few interesting old cars in my area (central New Jersey) such as Gullwings and Daytonas. Unfortunately, my 330 is probably driven the most (I don't think spotting your own car counts). There used to be a neighbor who drove a 365 California as a daily driver through the '70s and '80's. Unfortunately, he gave it to his son a few years ago so it’s no longer in the area.

Regards,

Art S.

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ran with a nice looking red 330GTC all the way down Rt 7 from Lime Rock to Wilton yesterday before I turned off toward Ridgefield and he continued south on 7.

Was fun to see two V12s running together even though nearly 20 years apart in age. The cars, that is!

John

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Since 1970, I've probably seen 25 or so vintage Ferraris just out on the road here in the Dallas area. I think there are some collections here but the billionaires keep them in their underground garages. In my area of town -- east Whiterock -- there are very few late models out, much less vintage, unless there's some kind of gathering on lower Greenville (retro bar and restaurant area). Most Ferraris seem to be spotted in the far north Dallas and Plano areas.

The closest I come to a vintage spot is when I catch my car's reflection.

9. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Rookie

Jul 8, 2004
    Saw a red Dino Fri., Sept. 3rd going northbound on the Blue Route (476) near Media, PA. I was the guy in the blue 993 with drool on the window.

10. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    May be a bit far for most of you but there was a fabulous selection of vintage sportscars at Goodwood last weekend ranging from 1930's Bentleys and Alfas to Ferraris including at least 3 250GTO's, 250GT's, 250LM, P3/4, 166, and several vintage F1 cars, also about 6 Ford GT40's, Lolas, Cobras and many, many more.

In the car parks I saw a 275GTB and of course my own Dino GTS

11. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Not Ferrari but worth noting. A white Bricklin SV1 in Clark, NJ. Not something you see everyday!

12. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    on the way to North Carolia last year i saw a red 250 sbw going the other way (i am 90% sure it was an swb). Very nice.

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Monday, September 13th, around 6 pm, saw a red 250GTE headed north on the Merritt Parkway near exit 38 in Norwalk, CT while I was headed south.

Commuter car, possibly?

John

14. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    This vintage sighting will be tough to beat! 250 SWB California Spyder, 250 LWB California Spyder, 410 SuperAmerica SIII, 550 Maranello, 550 Barchetta. All were sighted trying to navigate midtown Manhattan traffic on Second Avenue!

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In the same group?

16. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    wow. thats amazing

17. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003

Yes, in the same group. Absolutely stunning Pebble Beach quality cars!

18. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

Awesome! That should hold the record for all time best random vintage sighting for a lonnng time!

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Someone other than me drive old cars in central Jersey! On Saturday I saw a red/black 330 GTC in the center of Princeton!

Art S.

20. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Last week by lake constance in Switzerland...
    Nice guy saw me drooling out of the window so he slowed down a bit and then gunned it :)

Managed to get (half) a photo as well...
    Cheers
    Simon

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Odd, this is the newest ‘vintage’ spotters tread that showed up.

My wife spotted (before I did) a pretty light blue old car that she identified before I told her what it was! A S1 330 GT 2+2. I think it’s azzurro.

spotted in NJ this afternoon on Route 72 heading in the direction of Long Beach Island.

The best part were her comments about it being small, attractive and elegant!

Regards,
    Art S.

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well spotted.

I think most of the “spotting” pictures land in the “pictures of vintages on the net” when they might be better placed here. And it looks like any pictures that might have been here were lost in the changeover.

ArtS likes this.
  23. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    As it wasn't on the net and I didn't get a picture, I didn't think it was the right place.

Now to figure out which car it is... :^)

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    DMWC, GHG, Jack-the-lad and 1 other person like this.
  25. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    2165 GT is nice.

Marcel Massini

readplays likes this.