double clutching Dino 246?? | FerrariChat

double clutching Dino 246??

Discussion in '206/246' started by raywong, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    Do Dino come with syncromesh in the gearbox? Is it necessary to double clutch when shifting down?

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes, all synchromesh. No need to double clutch.

3. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Syncro tends to be pretty weak though, particularly changing down to 2nd. I double declutch my dino and boxer. I believe it prolongs gearbox life

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Warmed up, not a huge problem, but 2nd gear can often be tough.

Especially when cold. My gearbox steadfastly refuses to downshift into second for about the 1st 20 minutes of driving, until the gearbox is nice and warm. Also is very touchy on 2nd gear upshift when cold, but can be done, with care.

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It's not the same car, but my 330 2+2 takes at least 15 minutes, even in summer, to get up to where everything
    is working smoothly. Water has to be at 190F and oil temp needle straight up. The first mechanic who worked on the car told me to go from first to third until warm and advised against double clutching, especially down to second. The synchros are very smooth and the engine is almost undetectable at 800 RPM idle once the temps are up.

6. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Ray:
    Why not double clutch down? It is good practice for any car, syncro or not. Properly done it is no slower, and the additional wear on the master in not worth worrying about. Replacement of the master cyl. is far easier than rebuilding the gearbox. Learn it once...do it for all cars.

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I thought learning to match revs was the best way to shift. You don't even use the clutch pedal.