Schumi's not impressed with Montoya's games | FerrariChat

Schumi's not impressed with Montoya's games

Discussion in 'F1' started by Paul Vincent, Sep 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    Schumi's not impressed with Montoya's games
    Sunday September 12 2004

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_17273.shtml
    Michael Schumacher has slammed Juan Pablo Montoya for playing games with him in the opening lap of the Italian GP, claiming that Montoya purposely slowed making it look as if Schumi had gained an advantage.

Going into the first chicane, Schumacher and Montoya were tussling for position with the Colombian having the advantage of the inside line. This forced Schumi wide and across the apex of the chicane, which allowed the Ferrari driver to gain a place on Montoya.

Schumacher therefore had to slow down and allow Montoya to pass him or risk being penalised by the stewards. The Williams driver, though, didn't immediately retake third place, choosing instead to play. And when he finally did decide to pass the German, he allowed for Kimi Raikkonen to slip through as well.

Explaining the incident Schumacher said: "At the first chicane I just couldn't stop the car in time. It looks like we struggled a little bit more than the other tyre companies, so I had to run straight. I then slowed down to let Juan get through. Juan played a little bit smart and slowed down himself to make it look like I was gaining an advantage."

His woes, though, didn't stop there, as "coming into the second chicane it was just slippery again. I was sliding, got a nice four wheel slide. Jenson was on the outside, he couldn't avoid that one and I just touched slightly with my front wheel, I don't know, on his side pod, which spun me around. It was just one of those things, they do happen."

Schumi added: "During the race I wouldn't have expected after that to be second because I expected the pace with other teams to be closer but our car was so fast. To come home with both cars first and second with just one second between us was great - we made the right calls thereafter."

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Just more of MS crap! He thinks he can do no wrong. I watched the race and Montoya did nothing wrong...it was MS that cut the chicane.

3. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    Frank, I disagree, typical press crap trying to create a problem when there is not one, all he said is montoya slowed down causing him to have to wait longer - I love the title of the article - Schumi slams Montoya

4. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Well said. It seems the press is always looking for some of those moments from which nobody knows 100% what did happen. Not to defend one or another, but Schu hardly ever accuses other drivers, in contradiction to Montoya...

5. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    You are 100% right. I saw the press conference and if anything he WAS impressed with Montoya's move "Juan played a little bit smart..." There is always someone trying to invent controversy.

6. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    More of MS crap ???

You are on the wrong site, you must go to the Montoya chat, my friend....

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Quick bash bash bash before it's too late. Cutting the corner isn't in the debate. But you call it out as if MS got away with somthing. Try reading the posts before you write a reply. They're talking about slowing down after the turn. JM may have backed off to see if MS was going onto the racing line, or if he was going to spin. Or he could have backed off and let MS be in front for a few turns and then get called in for a stop. A smart move. It even made MS slow down enough to let a few cars go by. I think 4 or 5 cars got by/ along side. MS seemed to enjoy the thoughts of JM at that point.

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    If the roles had been reversed in this situation, I can only imagine what the opinions would be. Montoya would be tagged as an over-aggressive thug trying to overdrive the first chicane, while Schumacher's immense racing intelligence and penchant for thinking on the fly once again surfaced as he hesitated briefly on the exit, hoping to perhaps force Montoya to drive past and receive a penalty.

9. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    WRONG! MS did not ultimately punt Juinny P. off into the kitty litter. THAT would have been the diference. JPM "Master of Monza" would have tried to make that turn carrying too much speed, putting his right front to MS's left rear and ...... wait a minute! Let's see....where have I seen this before??? Or should I say HOW MANY times have I seen this before. Give me a break.

Parker,
    Considering your classless ethnic name calling and your incredibly insightful comments here (please note hint of sarcasm - since you probably will not get it), why don't you quit wasting space at F-Chat and spend your time at JPMallaboutmeallthetime.com. You would be much happier. On your way, make a stop at the FIA site and study some rules. No, that will not work. You would understand a little more about racing, realize the error of your ways, and be back with us. But at least then all you would have to work on is the class thing.

Jim

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Jim, I'm not sure I follow. Who is Juinny P?

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree ... smart driving by JPM, and MS would acknowledge that!

Pete

12. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Whinning Pablo Montoya

13. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It's funny that JPM took offense to MS's comments - which makes me think it was an accident! He said in an interview that MS is full of it, he just could not get traction! Whatever, it worked well! Like I have said many times, he will do something where you think he is brilliant - and then turn around and do 10 things that make you wonder if he has a brain at all!
    Jim

14. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Did anyone see the latest news on the BBC F1 news site?? JPM says that MS messed up by clinching the drivers title at SPA, and that he should have waited till MONZA to do it in front of the home crowd. Thats a laugh. Like JPM would give up a win or points just to wait for another race. This guy can't give anyone but himself credit or praise.

15. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    Here it is:
    Montoya blasts title timing
    Juan Pablo Montoya has accused Michael Schumacher of bad timing in winning the world title in Belgium in August.

The Williams driver said the seven-time champion should have clinched the crown in front of Ferrari's home fans.

"Why win it there? The Olympic Games were still on - marketing-wise it was terrible," the Colombian said ahead of the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

He added: "Marketing-wise he was better to win it here than there. If I was him I would have wanted to win it here."

Schumacher's second place at Belgiums' Spa-Francorchamps track was only the second time in 14 races this season that the Ferrari star failed to win.

But Schumacher defended himself against accusations that his domination was making the sport boring.

"I have had a lot of people come to me saying they love what I have been doing this year - it depends on who you ask," he said.

"I certainly can't say I find it boring. We have had great races in Hockenheim and Spa and maybe a less interesting race in Hungary, but Formula One has always been like this."

The German said he did not expect another easy ride next season.

After his easy title win in 2002, Williams and McLaren pushed him harder than ever the following season.

"We have seen several very good drivers, several young drivers, several experienced drivers," he said.

"This year no-one would have thought McLaren would turn it around so much. I believe they will be strong next year.

"Williams, McLaren and Renault will be strong next year, these are the teams you worry about. BAR will also be a danger."

Story from BBC SPORT:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3646822.stm

Published: 2004/09/11 07:52:30 GMT

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Hysterical! Although, you know there's only one little letter difference between "Whinning" and "Winning" ;)

17. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Jack, I think you are on to something! If he could just loose the "H" he would be OK! Let's see...."H"airraising, "H"alfwit, "H"aphazard, "H"arsh, "H"armful, "H"aughty, "H"eadstrong, "H"einous, "H"elpless, "H"ideous, "H"olier-than-Thou, "H"opeless, "H"orses-a$$, "H"othead, "H"uffy. By George, he almost has it!!!

Jim

18. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    If F1 is boring to some people this year, perhaps it's because Williams and Mercedes have such terrible teams that they provide no challenge to Ferrari (... or BAR ... or Renault...).

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    montoya is increasingly showing himself to be an a$$. i saw the press conference and schumi just said it like it was - kind of matter-of-factly. but the kicker was that HE was in the press conference talking about coming in SECOND after being 15TH ! and then only 1 second behind rubens (code for: 'i could have passed him at any time if i wanted'). montoya has a lot of catching up to do to get level with ms, and unless he uses his mouth to steer, he should just shut it.