For 348 owners and potential owners | FerrariChat

For 348 owners and potential owners

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jim Riggs, Feb 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    In a former thread, someone mentioned the 348 buyer's guide in Forza. I got my copy last night and immediately read it. It's a must read for 348 owners and wannabe 348 owners. It's a nine page article with lots of pictures. It discusses the evolution of the 348 noting 328 and TR influences, setting the stage when the 348 was introduced and covers the early problems with the 348 along with their root causes and eventual solution with the 92-93 models. There is also a detailed listing of 348 prices. Even though these prices are out of date (the article was publised in June 2001), they are useful as a point of reference to today's prices.
    The author test drove two 348's: a 90 ts and a 93 spyder. He gives a compete analysis of the driving experience of both F-cars from interior appointments and feel in the driver's seat to high speed handling. He summarizes the pros and cons of the 348. Pros: performance, sound, willing engine, brakes, good heating and AC, and overall practicality Cons: poorer build quality than other F-cars especially pre-92 models, more expensive service than 308's and 328's, the lack of quality interior components, and most importantly, it has a poor shifting action. In fact, the author goes into some detail to analyze why the 348 has such poor shifting action. (My 348 is a nasty shifter until it get warmed up and I still have trouble going from 1st to 2nd even after its warmed up.) In addition, there is a buyer's checklist that itemizes the "green flags" and "red flags" to consider when considering a particular 348.
    After reading this ariticle, I feel like understand the 348 much more completely now. I would certainly recommend that any one considering buying a 348 read this article first. I didn't but I would still buy my 348 after reading the article because IMHO its shortcoming are more than outweighed by its assets. That is, I can comfortabely live with its shortcomings because of its awesome strengths.
    Anyway, if you want a copy of this issue of Forza, it is the No. 30 issue and can be purchased online for $7 (which includes shipping costs) from www.albaco.com . Another thing about this issue. It has PPI guide to the 348 in the "shop talk" section. I'm not selling these magazines; I was so impressed with this ariticle I wanted to let as many 348 enthusiasts known about it as possible. Cheers!

2. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Can't seem to get the link to work. I would like a copy of the mag.
    Thanks

3. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I also purchased a copy of this magazine and agree fully that it is a must read and great article. IMHO the 348 is undervalued today and presents great bang for the buck.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The link's not working for me either. Don't mean to hijack the thread but does someone know where I can get a copy of the 355 buyers guide issue of Forza? My actual F355B was featured in that article and I would love to pick up a copy of it. Thanks for the help.

5. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Scott- Try it again. I tried the website last night from home and wouldn't raise it. But this morning from work, it's there. If you still can't get it, do a search for ALBACO on google. Good luck. Jim

6. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Hey Scott-
    The website is www.albaco.net not .com . Sorry for the error. Cheers, Jim

7. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Just sent an order. Thanks!

8. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for the info. I have an old Forza mag that's a 355 buyer's guide- great info, but probably not as good as the 348 article you describe (I think it didn't go into the detail of info I have read on this site on 355s, but could have been a dated article). Forza has some great articles, but I must say I've leared so much reading this forum. As I'm not a Ferrari owner (yet), I don't have much to add, but I am on here reading just about every day! I will probably pick up the Forza mag you speak of because while I want a 355, if (no when) I get a ferrari, maybe a 348 spider will fit the budget more.

There is only one Ferrari I have driven and that was a 348 spider I rented for 6 hours in Hawaii on my honeymoon (I believe it was a 1993?) While the car was warmed up already when I got it, I didn't notice any shifting problem. The car I drove had 36,000 miles on it (and probably hard miles when you consider it was probably a wholesale car with several prior owners when the rental place bought it, and then lived as a rental car), but I can say the shifter was a delight to use. Just as smooth as my 911- maybe not quite as "precise" feeling as my 911 actually going into gear, but I never had problems upshifting to 2nd or downshifting to 2nd and certainly wouldn't have mentioned it as a weakness based on my experience. I had a 1978 911 that definitely had a bad shift action years ago, but the 348 felt pretty modern and precise to me.

The rental car I drove had a non-working climate control system, and the top was supposidly a pain to operate (the guy put it down and it stayed down), but the engine, brakes and tranny were perfect! And isn't that what it's all about? :) :)

Andrew

9. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    It looks like too many people ordered the 348 buyer's guide (Forza #30) from Abalco...because they have it as "N/A" now.
    Would anyone know where else we could order it?
    Thanks,
    H

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have that issue and while the pics were great and the information informative, I didn't think it was totally accurate.

I have an eary car (17th made...5th US car) and I haven't experienced any of the problems that they talk about. My electricals have been flawless (except for the door connections...but the problems have been few and the fixes easy). The car shifts fine.

After almost 15 years it had been a great car!

Ciao

Dino

11. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    There were nothing about the 94 factory challenge series in the Forza 348 buyer guide. The author did not do his research well and should be fired.

12. FNU_LNU

FNU_LNU Karting

May 22, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    AM
    Anyone find Forza #30 - I'm interested in finding a copy.

13. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I read that while I was waiting for my car to be delivered, it didn't disturb me then, but as the new wares off, I see that it is pretty accurate. Not vary flatering.

14. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

went to the web site, issue #30 is not listed there!!! What's going on?

15. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    issue 20, on the 348 is available directfrom FORZA.@ FORZA BACK ISSUES<PO BOX 1529>ROSS,CA,94957.415-382-0580.Cost 8.00/check or CC.

16. FNU_LNU

FNU_LNU Karting

May 22, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    AM
    Thx CAL - I'll give them a call

17. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    how's about one of you buyers just post a copy of the article so we can each have it?

18. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I've got in PDF format now, but it's 14 meg.

19. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
  20. Lrob

Lrob Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    Full Name:
    Larry Roberts
    Do you know where I can get a copy of the same type of article, but for the 328?

21. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Search the Forza web site, I think you can order from there.

22. Lrob

Lrob Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    Full Name:
    Larry Roberts
    OK. Thanks.

23. 2DUCKS

2DUCKS Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    K
    Sorry to bring up an old post, but I was looking for a 348 buyer's guide and 355 buyer's guide as well.

Here is an updated URL link to these if someone in the future wants these buyer's guide.

http://www.forza-mag.com/back_issues.html

Issue 21 Feb 2000 is the 355 Buyers Guide
    Issue 30 June 2001 is the 348 Buyers Guide

24. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The criticisms are somewhat valid, but if the author had been able to check the 348 Primer back then, he would have seen that for a great 348 experience you need to do some prepping of the car before driving right after you buy it: http://webpages.charter.net/aircover/348/1994Ferrari348Spider.html#postprep

25. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    ive got the pages in pdf too . ill send it to someone who will post it for others to download/view .. " No doubt" how about on the tips page?